Car won't start

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mcmahontr7 Chris McMahon
Fort Worth, Texas, USA   USA
That coil is probably getting warm and failing. Change the coil too.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Lagodude Avatar
Lagodude Garry Bayer
Lago Vista, Texas, USA   USA
Hey Chris,

I've thought about replacing the coil assembly first, but they tell me that it is no longer available.

Can I replace just the coil?

Thanks,

GarryB

Rburgess Avatar
Rburgess Randy Burgess
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
I struggled to get my FI TR7 running that had bed sitting for several years. Once I did I wanted a spare proven good coil assembly that I could carry around with me as a spare. I purchased one off of Ebay but it didn’t work so I ended up replacing the coil, module and even bought a new NOS harness. Even with all this, the coil would lose spark and strand me. I discovered that the new harness was defective where it connects to the car’s harness. I hard wired it and is has been working perfectly for several thousand miles now. The replacement coil was a delco D525 that I got off of Ebay and picked up a 4mm x 0.7 tap at OSH to cut the unthreaded holes in the stock frame that this new coil needed.

I found the PDF at this URL to be helpful.

http://www.triumphtech.x10host.com/PDF/Delco_Electronic_Ignition.pdf

Good luck, Randy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Lagodude Avatar
Lagodude Garry Bayer
Hey Randy,

Thanks for the information.

I have ordered the Delco D525 coil and the tap as suggested.

Will I be using the mounting bracket from the original coil assembly?

Do you have a part # for the NOS harness you purchased?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

GarryB

Rburgess Avatar
Rburgess Randy Burgess
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Hi Gary,
Yes you do use the stock frame, just the alternate holes already in the frame. If will make sense when you get the new coil. I just happen to see somebody on eBay with a new old stock harness for sale. I doubt very much that you fine one at a parts house like Rimmer or Moss. The harness I bought was a waste of money since it didn’t work anyway.…just solder/hard wires the new coil the same as the old. Included are pictures of my spare coil assembly, it is exactly the same as the unit I have on the car. This spare was well tested before I put it in my spares box.

Attachments:
IMG_1075.JPG    41.6 KB
IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG    44.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1077.JPG    41.8 KB
bowen6951 Avatar
bowen6951 Gold Member rob bowen
Fontana, California, USA   USA
Hi Garry, I'm not a TR7 guy but, British Wire had all the wiring harnesses for my TR8. Give Josh a call. Thanks, Rob

http://www.britishwiring.com/

Lagodude Avatar
Lagodude Garry Bayer
Thanks guys,

I let you know how it works out.

Pictures are great.

Appreciate the help,

GarryB

Lagodude Avatar
Lagodude Garry Bayer
Hi Guys,

Mine has a Lucas Distributor #4811A (pictured).

Replacing everything.

What is the best electronic ignition for this distributor.

All I can find is the #4812A and the assembly does not look the same.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Garry

Attachments:
IMG_1406[1].JPG    31 KB
IMG_1406[1].JPG

IMG_1393[1].JPG    23.8 KB
Rburgess Avatar
Rburgess Randy Burgess
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Garry,

My car has the European Delco D302 distributor installed. I’ve read that BL switched back to a Lucas distributor once the Delco supply ran out. I’ve considered converting to the Lucas model because the vacuum retard units for the Delco are NLA and it would be nice to have the car idle properly. I’ve posted questions regarding compatibility with the Lucas distributor, Delco coil pack and my PCM (my car is fuel injected) but have had no luck getting any answers. With that in mind, I used a Delco D1906 control module but have no idea if it will work with your distributor. My guess is that it would.

Lagodude Avatar
Lagodude Garry Bayer
Got her running. Not great but running.

Thank y'all for all the help.

Now on to the brake problem.

New post.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster