Door latches

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Andrew1966 Andrew Ward
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
I have a few small dents that can be pushed out by the pros in this sort of thing. My question is there metal plates behind the door locks and latches that would fall off if you take them off to access the dents from behind.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
M1kem3 Avatar
M1kem3 Michael Rawlins
San Antonio, Texas, USA   USA
I don't believe so, but there are reinforcements on the other side of the door skin. I would also remove the door catch, so that the door won't close on you without being able to open.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1488526 by M1kem3 I don't believe so, but there are reinforcements on the other side of the door skin. I would also remove the door catch, so that the door won't close on you without being able to open.

The latches on the b pillar consist of two pieces; An outer mounting plate, and the actual catch. When you unscrew the outer mounting plate, the catch will fall down inside the b pillar, ruining your day.

You can retrieve it with an extensible magnet through a hole in the sheet metal on the interior of the car at the top of the b-pillar, behind the trim.

Unless you want to deal with peeling up some trim and fishing for the errant catch, I recommend that you leave the catch in place. Removing the latch mechanism from the door should suffice. In my humble opinion, of course. winking smiley

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster