AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Carburetor upgrade
  This topic is about my 1980 Triumph TR7
jb4249 Avatar
jb4249 Ted Bush
Highland Heights, USA   USA
I am having the engine on my 1980 TR7 rebuilt. I am considering a few upgrade and looking for any input. I'd like to use dual Weber DGEV carbs with headers and an upgraded cam. Anybody use these carbs or possibly Weber DCOE carburetors and how have they preformed for you?
Thanks, Ted

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1486868 by jb4249 I am having the engine on my 1980 TR7 rebuilt. I am considering a few upgrade and looking for any input. I'd like to use dual Weber DGEV carbs with headers and an upgraded cam. Anybody use these carbs or possibly Weber DCOE carburetors and how have they preformed for you?
Thanks, Ted

Honestly, the Zeniths are plenty good for a warmed over motor. The Webers are superior at high RPMS to be sure, but tuning them requires patience and a box full of jets and emulsion tubes, unless someone else has done all the work and has the same motor as you. In that case you can copy their setup. At low and mid RPMs, the Zeniths are an excellent choice, and what you give up at high RPMs is very small on the 2 liter motor. And if you add that cam, turning them to match the cam is much easier than tuning the Webers.

Every motor I have seen with Webers has been poorly set up. Pull a couple plugs and they are sooty black, indicating poor power and fuel economy. A few people manage to get them set up properly, and they will sing for you in the upper RPM range, but where you drive every day not so much.

Spend your money elsewhere for performance. An electric fan, K&N air filter, head work, raised compression, mild cam, header. And after each change you can easily reset the Zeniths with an adjustment tool. If you go totally crazy on performance, you can upgrade the needles easily.

If your engine is being rebuilt, get the euro pistons, a 3 angle valve job, and port work. Those will do far more for you than a pair of Webers.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

jb4249 Avatar
jb4249 Ted Bush
Highland Heights, USA   USA
Thanks for the input. I have the original Zenith's but the PO had installed SU's. Not sure if they offer more than the Zenith's or not. I will discuss the additional engine work with the rebuilder. It should be in hos hands late next week
Ted

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
I agree with Darth, but as far as SU's or Stromberg's is concerned it's probably a wash if either set up is correctly jetted (needled?). I have a TR8 that was fuel injected, now it has a 390 CFM Holley 4bbl. It also has a warmish cam, and 9.65:1 pistons up from 8.13:1. In hindsight I think the increase in HP achieved would have been the same using some Zenith's or SU's with greatly reduced expense. A c.v. type carb is very simple yet works so dependably.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Triumph Spitfire 4 MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links