Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
I bought this TR8 last spring and I supposedly it came from SE Indiana from a lot of other Triumphs. i knew it needed a little work but it seemed and so far as I have investigated it is rust free, which was the main reason I bought it. It looks like a PO was doing a running restoration as some areas are upgraded or changed and other areas the work is so so. when I first got it a found the heater valve had been leaking but the carpet was not wet. I figured replacing that would be a good winter project. I found wet carpets a couple of days ago. Also I found that the left fan is now not working and it was working when I changed the antifreeze with the rest of the fluids. Fortunately the floor had extra foil backed insulation and did not seem to be effected by the wetness.

Being a 1980 it has grey dash and plastic trim which I do not care for the color combination of grey with tan interior. The code calls for Golden Tan Plaid but was changed to an aftermarket bisquit look alike.

My question here is, is the dash suppose to grey all the way through? I have a couple of worn spot and it is black underneath I wondered if it was changed and painted. Also the does not read correctly, it maxes out at 3500 and does not start right a way. The speedometer is labeled to only to 80 on the guage face, my TR7 went to either 120 or 140. I know some Wedges only showed 80 MPH but I thought that was only TR7's. The reason for the question on the Tach and Speedo is If I am removing the dash to repair the heater valve I will change those two guages at the same time if they are wrong. Are the TR7 and TR8 guages the same?

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
North Coast Triumph Association
TWOA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
The only thing I can really comment on is the speedo, and only that in regards to the '81. It stops at 80 (unless you pull the little wire stop that's at 80, then it will-a-keep on wind'n). I thought the dash was grey thru and thru but not sure.

darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
The gray dash is indeed painted over black plastic.

A sticky tach is a common issue. A good writeup on the problem is here:

http://www.team.net/TR8/tr8cca/wedgelab/other/tach/tach.htm

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, Ohio, USA   USA
the speedometer from factory and per national highway safety folks in 1980 limited it to 80mph...thinking at that time was we would drive slower-not a chance!..so that's original speedo and easily swapped out with one from wedge shop along with tachometer @6,500 vs oem @ 5,500.. .also remember there were seat belt buzzers added if you didn't buckle up-mine were disconnected by the dealer before I took delivery!......heater valve is available see link below-hard to find original stuff...check your fuses to see if the fan is blown-one each for left and right and make sure your electrical connector is tight under hood hinge.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ranco-H16-5000-9054-01-Heater-Valve-Volvo-Triumph-TR7-TR8-Lotus-/332062498399

http://www.thewedgeshopstore.com/products/Modified-6500-Redline-Tach.html

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1484830 by Pat.L
Being a 1980 it has grey dash and plastic trim which I do not care for the color combination of grey with tan interior. The code calls for Golden Tan Plaid but was changed to an aftermarket bisquit look alike.
My question here is, is the dash suppose to grey all the way through? I have a couple of worn spot and it is black underneath I wondered if it was changed and painted. Also the does not read correctly, it maxes out at 3500 and does not start right a way. The speedometer is labeled to only to 80 on the guage face, my TR7 went to either 120 or 140. I know some Wedges only showed 80 MPH but I thought that was only TR7's. The reason for the question on the Tach and Speedo is If I am removing the dash to repair the heater valve I will change those two guages at the same time if they are wrong. Are the TR7 and TR8 guages the same?

Pat:

The original plaid material turned out to be rather fragile, and after years of exposure to the sun it pretty much succumbs to malaise. Replacements have not been readily available as a rule, so the interiors were often changed out. My TR8 is supposed to have a navy plaid, but instead it has navy vinyl door cards and navy leather seat covers.
Golden Tan has been available from time to time, check Rimmer Brothers and Victoria British.

The dash is made of black Noryl plastic, which holds up very well. For the later cars it was painted grey, and I don't know if the paint fails, or it was just applied very thinly at the factory. My dash had a ginormous hand print where the paint was missing. Could be the previous owner had something on his hand that removed it, or it could have been mishandled during the painting process. I have used Plasticote rubber bumper paint in charcoal grey to repaint with good success. It is a close, but not quite perfect match.

As others have stated, the speedo was mandated by federal law. Like the ignition interlock coupled to the seatbelt in 1974, the 80MPH speedometer was greeted by howls of protest and many letters to congressmen, which resulted in a quick repeal. It lasted only one year like the ignition interlock before it. Your tax dollars in action, as they say. A replacement from a TR8 is a drop in, or a TR7 5 speed speedo with a pinion gear change. Either way it is an easy fix.

The TR7 tach is bit of a problem. V8 conversions are widespread, and if you throw a TR7 tach in there, it will look like you don't have a real TR8 as the redlines are different. In addition, you need to add a jumper to the TR7 tach for it to read correctly as the TR7 is a 4 cylinder, and the TR8 is an 8 cylinder. In fact, the symptom you describe would be consistent with a TR7 tachometer being used without the needed modification to make it read correctly. Where is the reline on the dial? If it is at 5500 RPM, it is a real TR8 tach. If it is at 6500 RPM, it is a TR7 tach.

Here are the instructions to make a TR7 tach read correctly for a TR8.

Are you certain your car is a real TR8? TR8 batteries are in the trunk. Does the tire pressure label in the glove box say "TR8" in the bottom left corner? North American TR8s had "V8" in the middle of the VIN, indicating left hand drive, 8 cylinder engine. TR8s have power steering, does yours?

There's nothing wrong with a TR7-V8 conversion. But many owners try to pass their car off as a real TR8 by putting TR8 badging on the car, then they get sold to neophites as a real TR8. As long as they disclose when they sell then everything is good, but some do not.

Keep us posted.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
Thanks Guys for the info.

Bob; I read Woody's write-up on their modified tach and I need to give him a call.

Vance: I am almost positive this is a true TR8. There is a V8 in the VIN number, the tach red line starts at 5500, and the battery is in the trunk. Also don't TR7V8"s use the TR7 Radiator instead of angle under the front apron?

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
North Coast Triumph Association
TWOA

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1485119 by Pat.L Thanks Guys for the info.

Bob; I read Woody's write-up on their modified tach and I need to give him a call.

Vance: I am almost positive this is a true TR8. There is a V8 in the VIN number, the tach red line starts at 5500, and the battery is in the trunk. Also don't TR7V8"s use the TR7 Radiator instead of angle under the front apron?

Sounds like you have the real deal. Good for you.

That leaves the low reading tachometer. It may be a replacement used when the original one died.

I suppose a tach could fail in the manner you describe, reading half of what it should. Still, I would check the tach to see if it has the connections needed for an 8 cylinder, per the web page listed above. It may be a replacement from a TR7 with the dial swapped from the old tach. It seems far more likely that is the case than some mysterious gremlin that makes it read half of what it should.

And yes, a TR7 V8 conversion normally will have a different radiator configuration, but it all depends on the fastidiousness of the person doing the conversion. Sounds like you need not worry about it though, if you have V8 in the VIN it is a real one. I have heard of prototypes with TR7 VINs that were alleged to have been pre-production test mules assembled at the factory, but these were most likely all coupes, not convertibles. Supposedly almost all of them reside in the UK with a few getting shipped across the pond to the US. There are one or two owners of those vehicles who hang out on the list, IIRC.

Anyway, check the tach configuration per the wedge lab web page. I will bet you a dollar to a donut that is the issue. Or Not - my luck is terrible when I make bets. eye popping smiley

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Triumph Vitesse Mk2

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links