AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rear axle take down ?
  This topic is about my 1977 Triumph TR7
old guy Avatar
old guy bob k
sparta, tn., USA   USA
I have seals for the 5 speed rear axle but not sure how to go about it. The axle does not want to come out and the book says there is a band that requires 3 ton pressure to put back on. I don't want to damage the bearings , just wanted to replace the seals. No , I don't know if they leak, just redoing the car and I am now on the back part, trying to get some of the rust off and replace brakes and thought I should replace the seals, before painting the thing.
What does it take to do this simple job?.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
To replace the seals, you need to pull the axles, and will need to replace the rear wheel bearings, as the seals are held captive by the bearings.

The axle shafts should come out fairly easily, but if you have the axel off of the car, you might need a way to strap it down. You can put the brake drums on backward, and tap them out, or rig up a slider hammer.

The input seal can also be replaced, you will also want the gasket for the front cover.

Replacing the bearings is probably best done with a press.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Andrew1966 Andrew Ward
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
Did the rear oil seals on my 79 TR7 some years ago before i sold it. Was the worst job ever. Could not get the bearings off even broke a hydraulic press. Had to cut them off with a blow torch then hours to polish the burrs to make the shafts smooth again.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
The collars need to be cut off. The ROM says to drill, then use a cold chisel. What I found worked better was to use a cut off wheel with a Dremel. Once you get most of the way through there will be a pop as the remaining bit breaks apart.

I also used the cutoff wheel on the bearings, as I tried used threaded rod as a puller. I eventually purchased a press, and that probably would have worked. The bearing races are not at tight as the collars, so there isn't the satisfying pop when they release. In fact, they were released and I didn't even know it, so keep checking when you get close. A big screwdriver twisted in the slot will let you know when you are done.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

old guy Avatar
old guy bob k
sparta, tn., USA   USA
Thanks guys, but I don't think, I want to change the bearings, but things could change when I get in there The car just sat for 20 years and most of. the rubber was gone so do not know what the seals look like. I realize I may not be able to change anything except the outer seal.

carltr7 Avatar
carltr7 carl g
halifax, ns, Canada   CAN
I had my half axles out and replaced whatever I could.
Look in my homepage and you'll likely see some pics.
The half-shafts on mine came out out.
I didn't need to replace the seals so I left them, having discovered what a pain it would be to get the bearings off.
No leaks or bearing noises so I got away with it.
If I did need to replace them I'd have a shop do it, once I'd extracted the half-shafts.
I did however make sure everything else was cleaned up, vented, sealed etc so my W80/90 oil didnt run dry!

Of course once everything was out it ALL got cleaned and painted.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster