Halogen Headlight Replacement

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

helpme Robert S
Pasadena, California, USA   USA
So, I would like to install halogen bulb headlights to my TR7. I came across an article by VB that states, Heavy-Duty Headlight Harness - Upgrade your headlight's wiring harness for maximum light output with a Heavy-Duty Headlight Harness. If you are adding brighter bulbs or upgrading to high power halogen lights, then you need to improve your wiring to take full advantage of the extra light output. Do I need to do this to install halogen headlights to my TR7. Thank you in advance.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
North Providence, rhode island, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
Good Morning Robert
Have you ever thought about going with LEDs instead of halogen? There is a site, headlight revolution. com that carries all sorts of headlight upgrades, plus consumer advice. I think it was Jeff from Atlanta the told me about them. They claim the sealed beam replacement LEDs they carry are strictly plug and play, no mods to your system. It might be worth a look, Jim

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-06 08:27 AM by uspsmech.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1483204 by helpme So, I would like to install halogen bulb headlights to my TR7. I came across an article by VB that states, Heavy-Duty Headlight Harness - Upgrade your headlight's wiring harness for maximum light output with a Heavy-Duty Headlight Harness. If you are adding brighter bulbs or upgrading to high power halogen lights, then you need to improve your wiring to take full advantage of the extra light output. Do I need to do this to install halogen headlights to my TR7. Thank you in advance.

Drop in replacement Halogen headlights require no wiring upgrade, unless you are going to a higher wattage. DOT regulations limit color, power and brightness of headlights so ordinarily this is not an area of concern.

The blue filtered halogen replacement bulbs are not street legal, nor are lamps above 60W low beam, 65W high beam. Don't ask me why blue HID lamps are legal, but blue quartz halogen lamps are not because I don't know. Maybe someone can chime in here.

A straight up quartz halogen replacement will draw no more power, and yet delivers 40% more light. This is the beauty of Halogens compared to conventional sealed beams. I used genuine Lucas H4 replacements, and so paid more than I really needed to, but HEY it says LUCAS on the front, and that makes me happy.

Now, will heavier wiring help things? Probably - less voltage drop and more power to the headlamps. Do you NEED to upgrade the wiring for halogens? No. If you go for higher wattage (not street legal) then YES, you MUST upgrade the wiring. There is very little surplus capacity in the wiring harness to handle higher current draw.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
helpme Robert S
Pasadena, California, USA   USA
Vance:

Well, that sums up my concern. Well written, well defined and as they say in England, "Bob's Your Uncle".

Thank you.

carltr7 Avatar
carltr7 carl g
halifax, ns, Canada   CAN
I upgraded to Halogen sealed beams. Sylvania Xtravision H6024.
Simple, drop-in replacement. Same fitting and everything. No soldering or messing about.

Here's some product info.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/xtravision-sealed-beams-h6024-0203630p.html#srp

They work with the stock 1980 TR7 switches/fuses/harness although Ive since changed my cockpit to rocker switches.
Nice light - and perfectly adequate if properly aimed using the grub screws in the headlight pods.

And as an extra bonus they dont blind fellow road users.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster