1980 wiring

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

kevphill Kevin Phillips
Oxford, Michigan, USA   USA
Good afternoon, do any of you have any idea what is wires go to? The two single ones are red and brown/ white and gray. The switch is black and brown / purple and green.
The white plug has a thick green wire\purple and green wire.

The thick red wire is marked alternator by the previous owner. That doesn't make sense to me. I thought that the alternator wires are supposed to be brown.
Kp

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_2728.JPG    37.6 KB
IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2727.JPG    43.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_2726.JPG    53.1 KB
Dan B Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV, USA   USA
Where do they come from, what will they reach? Wiring diagram has p/g going to the rh condenser fan. Is this a TR7 or 8?

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1481420 by kevphill Good afternoon, do any of you have any idea what is wires go to? The two single ones are red and brown/ white and gray. The switch is black and brown / purple and green.
The white plug has a thick green wire\purple and green wire.

The thick red wire is marked alternator by the previous owner. That doesn't make sense to me. I thought that the alternator wires are supposed to be brown.
Kp

KP:

The thick red is the power to the starter motor. The white brown wire goes to the solenoid on the starter and activates the solenoid when you start the engine.

You didn't tell us the year and model of your car, so the others are difficult. I would GUESS that the red/brown and white/gray are for air conditioning, but that assumes that the car is a TR7 with A/C.

Tell us the model/year, with/without AC, and where on the body the wires are located. That will help narrow things down.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
kevphill Kevin Phillips
They come out of the wiring harness out of the thickest part just buy the engine mount.
Kp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-29 12:33 PM by kevphill.

kevphill Kevin Phillips
Sorry about that. It is a 1980 TR seven convertible with air-conditioning and a five speed manual. With air-conditioning.
The previous owner marked one of the thick red wires alternator. That can't be right.
The wire that he has marked alternator is a thick red wire it can only reach to the alternator because it's connected to the oil pump sending unit it can't reach around the other side of the engine.
You can say in the big photo the shortness of the wire. It can't reach the starter motor. The other end does reach to the starter motor. But the short end has a bent eye connection.
Kp

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-29 12:45 PM by kevphill.

Attachments:
image.jpg    43.9 KB
image.jpg

image.jpg    50 KB
kansanbrit Avatar
kansanbrit Phil H
Bonner Springs, Kansas, USA   USA
1952 MG D-Type Midget
1964 Morris Mini-Minor
1980 Triumph TR8
1980 Triumph TR8 "TR8 Holley"    & more
Looks like an alternator wire to me so something else must be amiss.

kevphill Kevin Phillips
I'm getting that feeling too. That red starter wire can only reach to the alternator. On the other end is a very big eyelet. I'm not sure what the PO did to it before. What I need is someone who has been down this road to come and look at it for me.

If I plug in the wires to where they reach according to the oil pressure sending unit because that is unique, it narrows down my selections as to where to put that large red wire.

I have a 1975 donor car. I'm going to try to get the wiring harness off of that engine.

Kp

kansanbrit Avatar
kansanbrit Phil H
Bonner Springs, Kansas, USA   USA
1952 MG D-Type Midget
1964 Morris Mini-Minor
1980 Triumph TR8
1980 Triumph TR8 "TR8 Holley"    & more
The other end goes to the starter and connects to the main wire from the battery thus linking alternator to battery.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1481954 by kevphill I'm getting that feeling too. That red starter wire can only reach to the alternator. On the other end is a very big eyelet. I'm not sure what the PO did to it before. What I need is someone who has been down this road to come and look at it for me.

If I plug in the wires to where they reach according to the oil pressure sending unit because that is unique, it narrows down my selections as to where to put that large red wire.

I have a 1975 donor car. I'm going to try to get the wiring harness off of that engine.

Kp

KP:

A-hah!

If it can only reach to the alternator, and it is labeled alternator, then it probably is an alternator wire. What threw me is that I expected a plug on it, not an eyelet. The TR8 w/AC alternator for example uses an eyelet rather than a plug because it is a high current alternator (65 amps) and a non-AC TR7 style plug will not handle the current. You did say that you have AC, so the car would have needed a beefier alternator connection than a non-AC car.

What was I thinking? Doh!

So it seems that the red wire would go to one of the Lucas 65 amp alternators, and then would require the eyelet to make a connection. So you have eliminated the OP switch wires, and the alternator connection. One of those remaining wires sounds like it goes to the starter solenoid, yes? Or does it not reach that far either?

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

kevphill Kevin Phillips
So the one marked alternator will go to the alternator with the other wire. Then the other large red wire will go around then over to the starter motor with two other wires. Then a wire comes off of the battery and down to the starter motor?
Kp

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, california, USA   USA
Kevin,

Was this running when you got it or did it come in boxes?

kevphill Kevin Phillips
Hi,
It was in boxes and bags. It was a mess.

kp

navydiver Rob Cornick
san diego, california, USA   USA
1975 Triumph TR7 "The Pumpkin"
1977 Triumph TR7
1978 Triumph TR8
1980 Triumph TR7 "The Plum"    & more
I'm wondering if it is a TR8 harness, the red wire from the battery in the 8 goes from the trunk along the inside of the rocker panel then out through an insulated pin in the firewall in the passenger footwell and is connected by the big eyelet onto the other side of the pin in the engine bay, then down to the starter. The fact that it was in a bag makes me think it might have been acquired to fix the 7's lower loom not realizing they aren't the same.

1975 TR7 FHC Ca Spec ACL 4spd
1976 TR7 FHC Ca Spec 4 spd (Temp add)
1977 TR7 FHC ACW 5Spd
1978 TR8 DHC ACT FI development car 5 Spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI Spider 5spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI Spider 5Spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI 5spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI 5 spd
1981 TR7 DHC FI 5 spd

kevphill Kevin Phillips
The harness was attached to the engine. Most of it was already together. The body was stripped.
Kp

kevphill Kevin Phillips
OK, there is a large brown wire that runs from the Starter over to the alternator. That brown wire is a red wire on my wiring harness. It seems the previous owner replaced the brown wire with a very thick red wire.
Kp

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster