Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tom80tr7 Avatar
tom80tr7 Tom P
Wallingford, Connecticut, USA   USA
Hi trying to remove wheel to get at turn signals. I have a 2 armed puller but can't get a good pull due to wheel shape and I don't want to mess up the plastic. Any tricks it's on pretty tight?

Thx

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
I've had no trouble backing off the big nut some and getting the puller jaws behind that. Keep everything centered and tighten down pretty good. I f it doesn't 'pop' on it's own a sharp crack with a small hammer at the end of the puller should do the trick.

tom80tr7 Avatar
tom80tr7 Tom P
Wallingford, Connecticut, USA   USA
Got it! Set one leg of the two longer than the other to get behind wheel. Thanks for reminding me to keep nut on
Tom

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Don Andy Silver Member Donald Andreozzi
Flat Rock, MICHIGAN, USA   USA
Also trying to remove my steering wheel, but can't get the nut off. Tried soaking in penetrating oil but it still won't budge. This leads me to the question of what parts are plastic in this area and has anyone tried an impact driver on this nut.

kansanbrit Avatar
kansanbrit Phil H
Bonner Springs, Kansas, USA   USA
1952 MG D-Type Midget
1964 Morris Mini-Minor
1980 Triumph TR8
1980 Triumph TR8 "TR8 Holley"    & more
Get a longer breaker bar.

uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
North Providence, rhode island, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
Hello Donald
You are asking about plastic in the area so I assume you are thinking about using heat , I think that would be ill advised.
I used my electric impact wrench on mine, lots of penetrating fluid and patience.
Ran the wrench in tighten and loosen mode , back and forth and eventually it gave. It's surprising how much heat is generated with just the pulsing of the impact wrench, the socket and the nut, good luck

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

Thanks. Tried a 2' extension with no luck so still soaking in Penetrating oil.

Yes I was thinking of heat. Will try my impact driver after it soaks for another day. Thanks

kansanbrit Avatar
kansanbrit Phil H
Bonner Springs, Kansas, USA   USA
1952 MG D-Type Midget
1964 Morris Mini-Minor
1980 Triumph TR8
1980 Triumph TR8 "TR8 Holley"    & more
Put a longer tube over your extension.

carltr7 Avatar
carltr7 carl g
halifax, ns, Canada   CAN
Try 50% Acetone, 50% ATF instead of penetrating oil.
Ive found this to work real well, aside from heat.

After that its the 1 + 1/8" socket, breaker bar and a bit of brute force and ignorance.

After removing the 1 1/8 nut I sprayed it with penetrating oil let it set for a night. Used a 3 arm gear puller, gently, and it popped off. Like everything else on these cars you have to make sure you don't distroy three other things while in the process of fixing one

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster