AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
Lads:

Call me anal retentive, but...

What is the correct orientation of the interior door pull? When I reassembled my car I had the widest part of the handle towards the rear of the car. My LBC mechanic told me I had them on backwards (doh!) and so I removed them, swapped them side for side and now the wide part is forward most.

Hanging out on this forum, I noticed that they are installed either orientation (by now they have all been removed and reinstalled many times) so I haven't a clue as to which is correct.

I ASSumed that the wide part was rearmost to accommodate reaching for the door pull when the door is open. With the wide part rearmost, the ergonomics of gripping the pull seem much better to me, but then I was an abused child too.

My mechanic said no, the door handle is oriented to give the driver more room when the door is closed (with the door closed, the wide part could conceivably poke one in the ribs - that seemed pretty weak to me, but he should know).

I know that people have their own preferences, but what did the factory do? Anyone got a picture from a period sales brochure showing the interior door trim? confused smiley

Knowing British Leyland, they probably were installed either way, upside down, or mismatched at the factory.Things got very chaotic near the end of production. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, california, USA   USA
Vance,

By door pull I assume you're talking about the armrest? My TR-7 came from the dealership Mar '80 with the wide part in the rear, if that helps. I think TR-7&8 interiors were basically the same.

Sierra 6 Avatar
Sierra 6 Steve Wylie
Litchfield Park, Arizona, USA   USA
I just recently re-installed mine and had that head-scratching moment trying to figure it out.
I went back to the photos I took of my very original interior before disassembly which shows the wide part towards the front, so that is how I installed mine.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
In reply to # 1477352 by sliproc Vance,

By door pull I assume you're talking about the armrest? My TR-7 came from the dealership Mar '80 with the wide part in the rear, if that helps. I think TR-7&8 interiors were basically the same.

Yes, armrest.

You say po-tay-toe, I say po-taw-toe as the refrain goes.

The orientation you describe makes the door pull function a bit more ergonomic in my book. It also seems that the armrest function might be a bit better, since the widest part of one's forearm is towards the elbow/rear as well.

Do your ribs ever chafe against the armrest?

Vance

sliproc Avatar
No. You must have an impressive ribcage Vance, or maybe you're confusing your ribcage with your body armor.

uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
North Providence, rhode island, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
Hello Vance. Mine have never been apart and have the large part forward

" Enjoy the Ride", Jim

Attachments:
IMG_2216.JPG    47.3 KB
IMG_2216.JPG

Darth V8R Avatar
In reply to # 1477367 by sliproc No. You must have an impressive ribcage Vance, or maybe you're confusing your ribcage with your body armor.

Ya. When my LBC insisted they would push against your ribs - I thought the same thing. "Sheesh. How big do you have to be before they poke you in the ribs?".

I got home later, and realized my parts catalogue might have something to say on it. Page 32-51 shows the wide part forward, like Jim's. So I guess I have my answer.

I will go on record as saying I think the factory got it wrong, but that is what the picture shows, so I will live with it.

Thanks everyone,

Vance

sliproc Avatar
Vance,

I don't think you can say the factory got it wrong since they did it both ways, I guess you could say they covered all bets. I do have a couple of thoughts on this conundrum though, first maybe the later cars were done differently than the early cars, second the wedges were built in two different factories so maybe that's when they got swapped.

trekcarbonboy Avatar
trekcarbonboy Craig Hall
Perkasie, PA, USA   USA
Wide part forward makes sense to me. Take a look down at your arms right now. They're angled inward right? So wide part forward follows the human anatomy. My 2 cents.

BondoRacer Avatar
BondoRacer Roman H
Chicago, Illinois, USA   USA
I have a 1980 TR8 sales brochure and in it the wide part of the armrest is clearly toward the rear.

Attachments:
IMG_0219.JPG    41.4 KB
IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG    54.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
sliproc Avatar
Vance,

I'd say Roman's sales brochure pretty much answers your question, that's an '80 TR-8 like yours with armrests backwards. The guys who are reporting armrests wide part forward seem to have earlier model wedges('78 and earlier). So maybe thru '78 they were forward and for some reason they swapped them in '79.

Darth V8R Avatar
In reply to # 1477807 by BondoRacer I have a 1980 TR8 sales brochure and in it the wide part of the armrest is clearly toward the rear.

Roman:

ARRRGH! Now I am really conflicted. And it is all your fault! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The brochure is later than my parts manual, so I will say that it is correct whatever that means. The brochure is even showing a navy interior, which matches mine.

I guess we can now say definitively that it doesn't matter. smileys with beer

Vance

sliproc Avatar
Vance,

Don't let it keep you up at night, 100 years from now it won't matter.

TeeR8 Avatar
TeeR8 Gold Member Henri Lefebvre
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1478150 by sliproc Vance,

Don't let it keep you up at night, 100 years from now it won't matter.

May be even 100 minutes from now....

My 1980 Titanium TR8 with blue tartan/plaid interior has an identical colour scheme as the brochure above except the wide part of the armrest is forward on my TR8. It may have been removed and modified in the past by a previous owner when the interior was redone, but it is what it is! What was the question again ...?

Henri
1980 TR8, Platinum
1971 MGB GT, Midnight Blue

Tri-Al Avatar
Tri-Al Al Markowski
Cleveland, Ohio, USA   USA
Compromise! Put one 1 way, and the other the reverse!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster