AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mgbgt111 Avatar
mgbgt111 c erskine c
pelham, shelby county, USA   USA
Doug,
Good point. A few years ago these could be bought for cheap. Now they are a bit rare and people think they are gold.
I used to work on a friend's car because it had similar carbs and was British. I'm not a mechanic, but it was very simple.
I liked the ride and performance.
Not so sure about parts these days.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Good idea, Kevin. I'll check them out.
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

79bluespit Avatar
79bluespit Rick Lazio
Burlington, ON, Canada   CAN
Another good option to look into. Great engine too. U can check out the lancia beta and Datsun and triumph stag and herald too. If the spitfire is too low for you and it definitely is, you will find some of these other cars also too low. The herald and stag you will have no issue climbing into and out of. For now I'm still limber enough, but one of these days I will be in your shoes.

I think the jenen suffers the same fate as the TR7.... You either like it or you absolutely hate it. I've seen two canabslized and scrapped for the engine. Of course they and all British and Italian cars rust like nuts. But didn't all cars from that era?

In the end best advise is test drive them all and see which one "you" like. Most of the eurotrash sports convertibles have been mentioned here. Test drive them all and then we can hear what u think.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Hi Rick,

I've thought about the Stag, but I have heard that the engine was not the best. I like the TR8, which has essentially a Buick aluminum V8 engine. The older I get, the more I like the 7/8 convertibles -- didn't much care for the design when I was younger. Funny how something like that changes. Never considered the Lancia. Had a 240Z years ago. If I was going to go the Datsun route, I'd be looking at a Datsun 2000. Lots of choices out there. I need to get off my butt and list the 2 Spitfires I have, to make room for whatever I end up getting next -- and to keep on friendly terms with the wife. winking smiley

Doug

mgbgt111 Avatar
mgbgt111 c erskine c
Never had one, but I've heard the Lancia rusts more than the Fiat.
In reply to # 1483554 by 79bluespit Another good option to look into. Great engine too. U can check out the lancia beta and Datsun and triumph stag and herald too. If the spitfire is too low for you and it definitely is, you will find some of these other cars also too low. The herald and stag you will have no issue climbing into and out of. For now I'm still limber enough, but one of these days I will be in your shoes.

I think the jenen suffers the same fate as the TR7.... You either like it or you absolutely hate it. I've seen two canabslized and scrapped for the engine. Of course they and all British and Italian cars rust like nuts. But didn't all cars from that era?

In the end best advise is test drive them all and see which one "you" like. Most of the eurotrash sports convertibles have been mentioned here. Test drive them all and then we can hear what u think.

79bluespit Avatar
79bluespit Rick Lazio
Burlington, ON, Canada   CAN
had a beta for a few months. yes they rust. but again....all these cars do. british and italian. what matters is how is the car "right now". i'd take a straight beta targa top over a rust bucket jensen or tr6 any day. who wants to do work? yes i meant the datsun 2000... never driven one, but seen them at shows.

the engine on the stag is horrible i hear too... no question. however the good thing is that many stags have had the buick/rover v8 transplanted in there already. look for those ones. some even have american 350 v8 and accompanying trans installed. don't over look the herald. one heck of a spacious car. i was shocked.

porsche 914 and vw kharman ghia... even more choice now. pumas are really neat too.... but finding a rag top one is difficult.

or bite the bullet and get a miata.... better car all around.... but i get the interest in these old classics.... they feel more special somehow. i chose a spitfire over miata for that very reason.

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Hi Rick,
Had a Miata -- brand new, still on the truck in transit 1999 model. BRG, tan interior. Wonderful handling, super easy top, and great transmission. But . . . There's always a "but" isn't there? But, it was uncomfortable on long trips and there was absolutely no room for anything behind the seats. Oh, maybe a small bag of sand, if you tried real hard. And the biggie negative of the car was -- being brand new and Japanese, I could find nothing to tinker on! So, I sold it two years later, sorely regretting and missing the TR6 and TR250 I'd sold in order to buy the Miata.
Doug

lgray001 Avatar
lgray001 Gold Member Larry Gray
Lexington, VA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR7 "POS-2"
1979 Triumph TR7 "The Money Pit"
My daughter had a Miata and used it for quite a while.

I tried driving is and I'm a little round man; I could barely close the door.

Member Services:
A Small Business serving the aviation community with avionics knowledge.
carltr7 Avatar
carltr7 carl g
halifax, ns, Canada   CAN
Im biased and Ive never had the Fiat.
However since they came out 10 years before the TR7, and nearly twice as many were made, I think its reasonable to assume they would be less refined and probably less exclusive.
Where I live 124s come up now and then. They are almost always "aspirationally priced" compared to TR7s.
Just my blatantly uninformed opinion of course!

uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
North Providence, rhode island, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
Just came across a 77 fiat 124 on craigslist in Johnston r.i. It has a alfa v-6 in it! Is this the eyetalien version of the TR8? He's looking for 8k for it or best offer. Could be an interesting little go-cart.

1977 fiat spider

condition: excellent
cylinders: 6 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
paint color: yellow
size: compact
title status: clean
transmission: manual
type: convertible

PRICE REDUCED $8,000 -- Must Sell. Will consider any reasonable offer. 1977 Fiat Spider, Alfa Romeo 6 cyl engine, very strong. Body is in excellent condition and so is the interior. Drives and sounds nice. 5 speed manual. Top in great condition.
Contact Dave

Well the text came over but not the picture, will try again, Jim

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-22 07:37 PM by uspsmech.

Attachments:
fiat 1.jpg    29 KB
fiat 1.jpg

fiat2.jpg    56.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
fiat3.jpg    57.8 KB
fiat4.jpg    41.8 KB
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Wow. That looks interesting. I'll bet that puppy screams.
Doug

uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
Unfortunately he doesn't give any info about the motor, and the pictures are not real good. I have a car show in the morning, maybe I'll check it out in the afternoon, and report back just which engine he used and what the quality of the work is.

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

mgbgt111 Avatar
mgbgt111 c erskine c
If it has been professionally done, it would be cool. If it's a poor amateur job, it could be a nightmare.

uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
He must have used the Alfa 5speed also. I don't think the original Fiat tranny would bolt up. Usually by this age the Fiat trannys are worn and pop out of 2nd or 3rd

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

mgbgt111 Avatar
mgbgt111 c erskine c
This is common, but my 79 gearbox is fine. I guess it boils down the skills of the driver.
Early 80s Alfa gearboxes would crunch into 2nd after 10K with a clumsy driver. I never tried "speed shifting" Alfas, but many new owners thought that was the way to drive a sports car. I'm patient with all manual gear boxes I drive.

In reply to # 1487140 by uspsmech He must have used the Alfa 5speed also. I don't think the original Fiat tranny would bolt up. Usually by this age the Fiat trannys are worn and pop out of 2nd or 3rd

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster