AutoShrine Sponsor

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
I think that anybody wanting to keep the stock rear end is going to want cheap. The other problem is anybody wanting rear discs has already upgraded to Woody's kit, which isn't much of an upgrade. That means this kit needs to use small rotors to not throw anything too out of whack. Once I get done doing the legwork and tweaking things, Glen will be the one doing the machine work. You can buy the finished product from him, just like many of you have done with his front brake kits. Given the fragility of the stock rear end, anybody that needs real big brakes has most likely already gone to the Ford 8.8. This kit will be for the 90% of you guys that just want something better than the stock drums.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RossL Silver Member Ross LoMonaco
NJ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1503840 by TR8todd I think that anybody wanting to keep the stock rear end is going to want cheap. The other problem is anybody wanting rear discs has already upgraded to Woody's kit, which isn't much of an upgrade. That means this kit needs to use small rotors to not throw anything too out of whack. Once I get done doing the legwork and tweaking things, Glen will be the one doing the machine work. You can buy the finished product from him, just like many of you have done with his front brake kits. Given the fragility of the stock rear end, anybody that needs real big brakes has most likely already gone to the Ford 8.8. This kit will be for the 90% of you guys that just want something better than the stock drums.

Who is Glen? Where can I learn about the front brake kit you describe above?

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Heading over to Glens today. I'll have him chime in on this thread so you can PM him. Here's a teaser for big brakes on a Ford 8.8. This will be going behind my LS3 6 speed combo.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSCI1767.JPG    53.7 KB
DSCI1767.JPG

DSCI1769.JPG    32.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
tr8 Paul m
ottawa, ON, Canada   CAN
Next size larger is an anchor!!

bowen6951 Avatar
bowen6951 Gold Member rob bowen
Fontana, CA, USA   USA
I have Glen's big brake kit and could not be happier (feels like the car can do stoppies) it really is a bolt on kit he even made the new hard lines I needed. He is a really nice guy to deal with and willing to make changes or additions you want.

Todd,
isn't it going to cost about the same for the brake conversion as to put an 8.8 in? Thanks, Rob

Attachments:
P1060089.JPG    44.5 KB
P1060089.JPG

P1060112.JPG    37.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, OH, USA   USA
Good idea Todd....my vote would be all new parts as a complete DIY kit with wilwoods so maybe offer two versions- fits OEM 13 inch wheels and upgraded for 15 inch wheels bigger caliper.

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Glen and I played with the Nissan parts. They can be made to work, but we both agree that we want to have a look at Mustang rear calipers before we go any farther. He has Mustang calipers on his Mustang 8.8 with BMW 320i front rotors. Odd combo, but necessary. Mustangs only had drums on 4 lug axles. 5 lug axles got discs. He was able to use calipers from a 5 lug axle, but needed to find a 4 lug .5" solid rotor with plenty of meat of the face to drill new bolt pattern. We want to see if that formula will work on the wedge axle as well as it does on the Mustang axle. Once the Nissan rotor was installed, it looked small. Its basically the same diameter as the TR drum. I think stepping up to the .5 rotor from the Nissan's .38" rotor is a good idea. On Glen's car, he used shortened a Mustang brake cable, so if we go that route, at least one of the hurdles has already been figured out.

Swapping in a Ford 8.8 axle opens up all kinds of rabbit holes to go down, so the cost to do so can range from $1000 to more than $2500. It also requires some serious skills to narrow a rear end. The only reason to do a Ford rear end is if you do it as part of a total package upgrade to the car. Do you have a big HP engine? Do you want a limited slip rear end? Do you want disc brakes on the back to match the big brakes you have on the front? Those are all reasons to swap. If you are like 90% of the wedge owners and are just looking for better, safer, more modern brakes, then this will a great kit for that. If you are building a race car, these will certainly be better than the stock drums, but they will not be part of an ultimate brake kit. Honestly, how many of you guys are going to be doing repetitive wo downs from 100 plus mph? There is a big demand for a bolt on rear disc brake kit in the wedge world, and franky, I'm surprised nobody has stepped up and developed one yet.

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Wilwoods are not really an option because they don't offer a suitable caliper with a mechanical brake lever. Need to keep an Ebrake for a street car, so we are looking at repurposing OEM calipers. You want to build a race car, then Wilwoods are great for that. They are also great for the front of the car where there is no need for an Ebrake. I have seen them used on the rear of a street car before with a second set of spot calipers, but who really wants to look inside a wheel and see two calipers on one rotor. Imagine how many stupid questions that set up would create at a car show.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links