AutoShrine Sponsor

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
The engines are fairly easy to come by, and by themselves have little to no value. Its all the hard to find pieces required to install one into a small car that carry the value. A 5 speed bell housing is worth more than a complete engine from a Land Rover. A 4.0 has some value, and a 4.6 has a little more. Right now on my local Craigslist there are four running 4.6l rovers for under a grand. I gave away a Buick 3.5 a few weeks ago to someone who wants to stuffing it in a bug eye. Good luck with that.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
diver Richard Crothers
NorthEast, Maryland, USA   USA
TR8todd,
Thanks for info on MGB wheels and the V8 Rover engine.
Rich

DaveH Dave H
Ottawa, ON, Canada   CAN
I picked up a V8 conversion with an automatic transmission. The engine and transmission are good but the body is shot. I have another coupe with a 5 speed transmission and a good body. I am planning on transplanting the V8 to the good shell and would like to use the 5 speed with it. I am missing a bell housing and the clutch components. Does anyone know where these parts might be available?

Thanks!
Dave

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sydney.Wedgehead Sydney Wedgehead
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
Hi Todd,

I hope I am not too late in replying to this. (I've not been monitoring the forum for some months due to illness.)

I'll send you a PM listing what I'm after for my V8 conversion.

Cheers,
Owen

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Sounds good, but from past experience, shipping to Australia is extremely expensive from here.

Hi Todd,

Thanks for prompt reply. I've sent a PM listing what I'm after.

BL never sent any TR8 here so finding local parts is impossible.

If you're willing to sell me what I need then I am happy to pay what it costs to ship it.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Owen

dhuddleson Avatar
dhuddleson David Huddleson
Manotick, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Owen,

Are there not any Rover SD1 3500's in Australia? The 5-speed and bellhousing are identical to what you would need in a V8 TR7...

David,

Rover SD1 are about as rare as TR7 here now. I don't know how many SD1 arrived here but I suspect the vast majority were auto.

I have acquired an SD1 bellhousing and had my TR7 subframe modified to match the TR8 unit. I've bought a re-pro prop-shaft and radiator mounting kit from UK vendors and picked up a low mileage P38 engine as the donor unit. Initially I purchased an SD1 engine but found fretting in the main bearing caps. I will fit the SD1 sump, timing cover and pulleys on the P38, so it will end up looking like a TR8 with a 4 barrel Weber on top of an Edelbrock Performer manifold. I'm yet to purchase the water and oil pumps, new cam and lifters, which I'll fit as part of this project - suggestions on these would be appreciated.

The key part I am still looking for is the TR8 Gearbox Crossmember, Part # RKC488. Having looked at a few TR7V8 conversions I've decided that I really don't want to drill the floorpan to move the TR7 cross member aft.

Is there anyone out there willing to sell me RKC488 so I can do the conversion properly?

Owen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-11 08:40 PM by Sydney.Wedgehead.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1470134 by Sydney.Wedgehead I'm yet to purchase the water and oil pumps, new cam and lifters, which I'll fit as part of this project - suggestions on these would be appreciated.

Just remember that single pattern cams are obsolete for OHV engines. There are still lots of them around. You will get get more power and better fuel economy for a given intake duration with a dual pattern cam (longer duration on the exhaust than on the intake). Keep the LSA above 110 degrees. Even though tighter lobe centers will give you more power all the way down to about 106 degrees, the idle gets very rough, and fuel economy plummets. If you care about emissions, then tight lobe centers will make your car really dirty/stinky too. Instead go for a bit more duration with wider lobe centers, 112 degrees or even 114 degrees, if you want more power.

Crower, Kent and Piper make Rover/Buick dual pattern cams on new blanks - and all have good reputations.

I went with a Crower 206i/212e@1.25mm lift, 112 LSA. VERY nice cam. Just a little rumble, idles nicely at 700 RPM, nice smooth pull with very nice power above 3,000RPM, good cold start drivability. 210@1.25mm (0.050"winking smiley is about the limit for intake duration on a daily driver street car - this is roughtly 270 degrees advertised duration. Above that you are getting into cold start drivabilty issues, rough idle, and more work driving in stop and go traffic. Anything above 280 degrees advertised is autocross, and above 290 degrees is full race. These are very fatiguing to drive on the street, unless you avoid stop and go traffic.

I am guessing that I am making about 175-185HP using stock exhaust and intake manifolds with dual Zenith carbs. With a 500 CFM Edelbrock and an Edelbrock manifold I might be able to get to 200 HP, but I am very happy with the performance of my current set up. Starts easily, sounds great, good torque, and I pass emissions (running OEM air pump, and aftermarket CATs).

Cheers,

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

Thanks Vance.

I'll keep your suggestions in mind when choosing the cam.

Is your RV8 a 3.5?

Do you recall what lifters you went with?

Owen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-11 11:12 PM by Sydney.Wedgehead.

tr7v8mike Avatar
tr7v8mike Gold Member Michael Booth
SYDNEY, NSW, Australia   AUS
Hi Owen, my engine is also a P38, but stroked out to 4.6 with 10:1 CR. the cam is a Crane 206 and I'm happy with it. Smooth idle, easy start and I can creep along in traffic without too much hassle and I'm happy with performance on hillclimb events.
Do you have your manifold and carb yet?
Mike

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
PM sent in regards to trans crossmember.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1470157 by Sydney.Wedgehead Thanks Vance.

I'll keep your suggestions in mind when choosing the cam.

Is your RV8 a 3.5?

Do you recall what lifters you went with?

Owen

Owen:

I went with CompCams lifters. Plain old lifters, didn't bother with anti-pump up lifters, as it was never going to go over factory red line. Hey, it's a street motor.

Yes, it is a 3.5 with 0.060" (1.5mm) overbore and 10:1 pistons. So it comes out to about 3.7 liters. I had to go with custom cast pistons because 1mm overbore is as big as anyone goes off the shelf - and they weren't much more than the off the shelf items. Using NOS Buick rings, and ARP studs for the rods and main bearing caps. Stock rods and crank, OEM windage tray. I installed the cam 4 degrees advanced, per Crower's recommendations. K&N air filters with OEM cold air intake, plain butterflies in my ZS carbs (OEM had poppet valves, which reduce the air flow) and new carb needles. Mild port job on the head with ARP head fasteners, OEM steel head gaskets.

OK, so it is an extreme overbore and not recommended. May well go BANG one day. (Honey! My engine broke... Can I please buy a Rover 4.4 engine? Please?)

Bwuh-hah-hah-haaah!

Vance

P.S. with all of this, I am still a girly-man compared to TR8Todd. He is a total maniac, currently building an ICBM disguised as a wedge.

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

Hi Mike,

Yes, I found the Edelbrock manifold and carb attached to a 3.5L motor pulled from a Land Rover.

Owen

In reply to # 1470161 by tr7v8mike Hi Owen, my engine is also a P38, but stroked out to 4.6 with 10:1 CR. the cam is a Crane 206 and I'm happy with it. Smooth idle, easy start and I can creep along in traffic without too much hassle and I'm happy with performance on hillclimb events.
Do you have your manifold and carb yet?
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-13 02:39 AM by Sydney.Wedgehead.

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the PM and offer of the cross member. I'm very grateful!

I'm busy looking at the Wilwood catalogue (between work tasks) and will respond via PM to get the ball rolling.

Regards,
Owen

In reply to # 1470190 by TR8todd PM sent in regards to trans crossmember.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster