AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1447228 by CaLaxly Thank you for the advice, I have looked it up and it fine if I did a swap since I don't need to pay attention to ERC rules. I heard the 3 speed transmissions are actually pretty crud, do correct me if I'm wrong.

CaLaxly:

Certainly by today's standards they are crude. They were 3 speed, rear wheel drive automatics, derived from a design that originated in the 60s. No lockup torque converter, so the fuel economy is not very good, and no overdrive in top gear. They were made with aluminum cases, so they are not as heavy as the iron cased versions. Some TR8s used the BW Type 66, but most used the Type 65. The Stag and the Rover 3500 (among many others) used this gearbox.

There certainly are much better choices, but of course going with the original transmission minimizes fitment and fabrication issues. You will need a different center console if you go with the automatic, among many other differences vs. a 5 speed.

Cheers,

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bowen6951 Avatar
bowen6951 Gold Member rob bowen
Fontana, California, USA   USA
HI Cary,
you don't mention what year your car is, IF it's a 1975 you have gold no smog, anything else and you have to be "emissions compliant". You can buy Range Rover engines at Pick a Part for $300 complete, but they won't be in compliance for your application. If you go with Strombergs you will need all the necessary equipment plus air injection heads, if you go with the "Federal" EFI good luck finding all the parts. I have a complete RR "Hotwire' fuel injection but it doesn't have an EGR so it is not legal for my car, could I use it, maybe as no one really knows what our cars are suppose to have. If you put in a later engine you may be able to get it smogged by going to a referee and having the car inspected and certified for a later engine which means your 1980 will have to have and pass the requirements for a 1992 or whatever year your engine is. The Peoples Republic of California doesn't want you to have a fun vehicle, they want you in a Pious... I mean Prius, on a bicycle or riding the "Bullet Train". Welcome to the asylum. Thanks, Rob

Darth V8R Avatar
In reply to # 1447813 by bowen6951 The Peoples Republic of California doesn't want you to have a fun vehicle, they want you in a Pious... I mean Prius

LOL spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bowen6951 Avatar
You've heard Jay Leno's joke about "saving the world anonymously by driving an ugly car".

CaLaxly Cary P
San Diego, California, USA   USA
That Prius and Jay Leno joke had me crying in laughter for a bit lol. Let's just say the car will have a 1975 title through certain means... As I've said previously the issue I'm facing is the lack of part availability in SoCal, it seems every time I look up a River Engine it's always in a pentuple digit car. I'm thinking about a 4.2l and Automatic 8 transmission, but I still need to to find all the related parts, not to mention the actual engine and transmission itself. Would you mind providing a link to that website, I don't think the one I found had the proper parts.

bowen6951 Avatar
Hi Cary,
I'm 125 miles north of you on the 15 freeway. LKQ Pick A Part in Chula Vista has 10 Rovers from 1988 to 2001 (you can use up 2004.I think) you'll have to go see them to pick an engine. If you can title your car as a '75 you can put any engine you want in it, has it been non-op? I don't remember if you have to smog it to register it if it has expired. I'm not a real good fabricator (unlike many on this forum) so for me a Rover is a no-brainer as it is a drop in. I don't know your reasons for wanting an automatic but that will entail a fairly large amount of fabbing, where a 5 speed will also be a drop in. You will probably want to get an 8 cross member so you can have power steering or use electric PS (more fabricating). My '80 TR8 with 3.9 is a lot of fun, but I imagine a TR8 with a 4.6 would be a WHOLE LOT OF FUN. Hope this gives you some food for thought. Thanks, Rob

P.S. The dyno shop told us a couple weeks ago that a Chevy LS1 has an E.O. number and can go in anything legally, just cost around $8000.

bowen6951 Avatar

diver Richard Crothers
NorthEast, Maryland, USA   USA
Hello,

I put an add in about the TR7 I want to sell in the wrong Topic. I put it in CL delusion number #6.

Richard C.

CaLaxly Cary P
Thanks Rob, so basically they will remove the engine for you from the car? I'm not a great fabricator myself but I jacked myself up when I first learning to drive as was driving clutch. Its just something I've never been able to get over. I haven't really checked out how much fabrication I'll have to do to install an Auto8 but since most of you guys are bringing it up I'll do a through check.

bowen6951 Avatar
HI Cary,
they don't pull anything, either you do it yourself or maybe you can hire someone to do it. The reason they are so cheap is they don't do anything, you want someone to pull it, go to a regular wrecking yard, expect to pay two or three times as much. I'm not exactly sure what an "Auto8" is but it sounds newish which means large, heavy and probably computer controlled and first off you have to find a bell housing that will work (that is assuming you use a Rover). Just searched Ebay for 6L90 transmission which is a 6 speed GM auto, rebuilt it's $2500 add a compliant LS at $8000 and probably that much again for someone to put it in and get it running (hopefully Todd will chime in here as he knows more about this than I). That is an awfully expensive Triumph Thanks, Rob

CaLaxly Cary P
It's an Automatic 8 that it looks like it would fit pretty easily.. As I mentioned earlier what is the 5 speed Manual that you are talking about @Vance?

TeamEvil Avatar
TeamEvil Gold Member Thomas C
Kingston, Massachusetts, USA   USA
No question, Todd installed the LS engine into the TR8 using the most unique method that I've EVER seen done on a street car. Just outstanding, and I was there to pass him a tool or refresh his beverage

bowen6951 Avatar
Hi Cary,
the 5 speed we are speaking of is the LT77 (Rover?) transmission that came in most TR7/8s. I thought it was used in Landys also but my RR guy says "no". I believe it was also used in Rover SD-1 and 3500. It will bolt up to a Rover engine and bolt right in to a Wedge. Thanks, Rob

Darth V8R Avatar
In reply to # 1448298 by CaLaxly It's an Automatic 8 that it looks like it would fit pretty easily.. As I mentioned earlier what is the 5 speed Manual that you are talking about @Vance?
From your question, you must have an earlier wedge with the 4 speed transmission.

Later models (1978? 1979? and later) had 5 speed transmissions and a stouter rear end. The early drive train was criticized as being fragile, although I never actually encountered anyone who had broken one. I think Triumph wanted to add a 5 speed (for better highway mileage?), and found it easier to simply use one that was already available and happened to be more rugged.
You can get the 5 speed setup from a wrecking yard (I can point you to an outfit that sells the five speed transmission and rear end). It does make highway cruising a bit nicer. I never use 5th in town.
The 5 speed was used in other cars, all for the UK market I believe. The V8, with its greater torque may have needed the stouter set up, but the Dolomite Sprint with 130HP used the 4 speed setup in the UK and seemed to do just fine. Someone from the UK can chime in here if I got that wrong.

Cheers,

Vance

diver Richard Crothers
NorthEast, Maryland, USA   USA
Hello are you thinking?,

Does anyone want a V8 from a Rover, if so I know where there is one in scrap yard near me. I could check on availability. Owner hard to find. What year was last for V8 Rover?

Richard

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster