Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tr7v8mike Avatar
tr7v8mike Gold Member Michael Booth
SYDNEY, NSW, Australia   AUS
Not a car story but a funny one, along the lines of Todd's basement. A friend of mine makes a motza and is a really serious wine buff. 3000 bottles worth about $150000 in his cellar. He went away for 3 weeks and the fridge unit broke down, flooding the cellar. Not 6", but up to the ceiling. Of course all of the labels floated off the bottles and formed a raft which stuck to the ceiling.
It took him almost 6 months to match some of the labels back to the bottles but he couldn't sort out all of them. He had a big party to drink the unidentifiable wine. Didn't know if I was opening a $100 or a $1000 bottle. It was a good night, from what I can remember.
Hope you didn't yell at your daughter, Todd.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Dan B Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV, USA   USA
TeamEvil Avatar
TeamEvil Gold Member Thomas C
Kingston, MA, USA   USA
"The 3.5 is dozey and fine for restful drives in the country."

Best reason ever to look for the 4.1 out of the Riviera/Caddy. Todd and I found two over the years, I bought mine from a failed TR7 conversion a few towns over.

I guess that they pull like freight trains as they were configured for SUCH heavy cars, especially in comparison to the TR7/8

For what it's worth, here's a quick pick of the 4.1 installed in the Karmann Ghia (which burnt to the ground in a shop fire . . )

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tr7v8mike Avatar
I went down the path of a 4.0 Range Rover stroked out to 4.6 with a few mods (cam, ported heads, high Comp pistons and EFI). Drops straight onto the standard mounts and the 5-speed gearbox bolts straight on. The base 4.0 was designed to push a 5000 lb vehicle around so the tuned up version should be adequate for a Wedge.

jacko241 Avatar
jacko241 Silver Member Joe J
Saint Augustine, FL, USA   USA
PM sent, Todd.

tr7v8mike Avatar
Hi, could you hold off sending the window bits? The oil pressure is reading low. New engine, new pump, right oil level, new gauge, old sender. I'll test it and if it's buggered I'll see what type it is and maybe you might have one in your box of goodies.

CaLaxly Cary P
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I actually have a question about doing a V8 conversion. First of all, what would recommend as an engine (I saw Rover 3.5, 4.0 and 4.6). Second of all, is there a semi automatic transmission or automatic transmission I could pair with that and a driveshaft. Also knowing where I could buy a rebuilt engine or a low mileage engine would be stellar as well, where I live its a bit hard to come by these part (SoCal). The car I have a Huffaker Tr-7 Mod that I believe was actually a stock race car that was advertised for the SCCA, and there are no issues with it except that is missing some computer ships that I already have.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1447158 by CaLaxly Hello, I'm new to this forum and I actually have a question about doing a V8 conversion. First of all, what would recommend as an engine (I saw Rover 3.5, 4.0 and 4.6). Second of all, is there a semi automatic transmission or automatic transmission I could pair with that and a driveshaft. Also knowing where I could buy a rebuilt engine or a low mileage engine would be stellar as well, where I live its a bit hard to come by these part (SoCal). The car I have a Huffaker Tr-7 Mod that I believe was actually a stock race car that was advertised for the SCCA, and there are no issues with it except that is missing some computer ships that I already have.

Cary:

I think you should check the law regarding engine swaps before you begin. California is anal retentive about that kind of thing, and it would be a shame to do a swap and find out you can't drive it.

The Rover V8 makes the most sense, as they are a drop in fit in most regards. There are indeed automatic transmissions available for the wedge, although the factory setups are rare, they are cheap because so few people want them.

If you are doing a swap, you might as well go for the later engines, as they are stronger, make more power, and come with fuel injection. Getting the hood closed on an injected motor is difficult because the are an inch or two taller due to the injection plenum, but there are lots of instructions out there on how to trim the various bits so you can get the hood closed. There is a big bore kit available for the 3.5 to take it out to 3.9. The 4.2 is a stroked version of a 3.9, and anything bigger comes with a larger crank (stronger). But the blocks are dimensionally identical and so will fit. There are sub-frames available that will let you mount the V8.

All of this will add up. I think (personally) you would be better off just finding a TR8 for sale and buying it, but that is me. From there you can install a big bore kit, stroke it, or hot rod it to your heart's content, and no California licensing issues. IMHO, of course.

Talk (OK, PM him is what I really meant) to TR8 Todd. He will trade or sell you all the bits you need for a reasonable price should you go the engine swap route. Heck, he has spare motors lying around too. I bet he would toss everything you need on a pallet and ship it to you for some suitable remuneration. He is the grand Poobah of wedges.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Doing a V8 swap on a wedge can be either an expensive proposition or a very expensive proposition. Finding an engine from a Land Rover is the easiest part. Accumulating all of the other parts needed to complete the swap is the hard part for most people. Vance is right in two regards. California is tough. Finding a TR8 can be cheaper than building one. Doing a swap makes sense if you want a modified car, or you are really attached to the car you have, or you just like building things. Personally I don't care if a wedge started as a TR7 or a TR8, what its heritage is, or any of that extraneous perceived value crap. I just want my cars in the end to be the most fun for the least buck. In no case would I ever want a slow, all original show car. If you have a cool car and want to do a cool engine swap, go for it. I can help you with the hard to find parts. I even have an automatic, flex plate and torque converter sourced from an automatic 8 that now has a 4.6L and 5 speed. I suggest you do some research and spend some time on britishV8.org Pretty much every lister on that forum has done a Rover V8 conversion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-04 12:27 PM by TR8todd.

CaLaxly Cary P
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1447192 by Darth V8R
In reply to # 1447158 by CaLaxly Hello, I'm new to this forum and I actually have a question about doing a V8 conversion. First of all, what would recommend as an engine (I saw Rover 3.5, 4.0 and 4.6). Second of all, is there a semi automatic transmission or automatic transmission I could pair with that and a driveshaft. Also knowing where I could buy a rebuilt engine or a low mileage engine would be stellar as well, where I live its a bit hard to come by these part (SoCal). The car I have a Huffaker Tr-7 Mod that I believe was actually a stock race car that was advertised for the SCCA, and there are no issues with it except that is missing some computer ships that I already have.

Cary:

I think you should check the law regarding engine swaps before you begin. California is anal retentive about that kind of thing, and it would be a shame to do a swap and find out you can't drive it.

The Rover V8 makes the most sense, as they are a drop in fit in most regards. There are indeed automatic transmissions available for the wedge, although the factory setups are rare, they are cheap because so few people want them.

If you are doing a swap, you might as well go for the later engines, as they are stronger, make more power, and come with fuel injection. Getting the hood closed on an injected motor is difficult because the are an inch or two taller due to the injection plenum, but there are lots of instructions out there on how to trim the various bits so you can get the hood closed. There is a big bore kit available for the 3.5 to take it out to 3.9. The 4.2 is a stroked version of a 3.9, and anything bigger comes with a larger crank (stronger). But the blocks are dimensionally identical and so will fit. There are sub-frames available that will let you mount the V8.

All of this will add up. I think (personally) you would be better off just finding a TR8 for sale and buying it, but that is me. From there you can install a big bore kit, stroke it, or hot rod it to your heart's content, and no California licensing issues. IMHO, of course.

Talk (OK, PM him is what I really meant) to TR8 Todd. He will trade or sell you all the bits you need for a reasonable price should you go the engine swap route. Heck, he has spare motors lying around too. I bet he would toss everything you need on a pallet and ship it to you for some suitable remuneration. He is the grand Poobah of wedges.

Vance
Thank you for the advice, I have looked it up and it fine if I did a swap since I don't need to pay attention to ERC rules. I heard the 3 speed transmissions are actually pretty crud, do correct me if I'm wrong.

CaLaxly Cary P
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
Thanks! This car is something I've been wanting to work on since I was 15 years old. I have a bunch of parts that my father has available since he raced Tr7s and Tr8s in SCCA cups, he just seems to lack something that isn't a race engine and manual transmission which he "believes" is going to be powerful for a street car ( basically a bunch of Dolomite 3.6s ). I've already searched most online sites that would potentially sell parts I could use but it seems that the only person who has some already has what I have. For me it's basically just an engine, driveshaft, and transmission, I even have the Group 44 fender molds for some new fenders to fix the cracked ones.

jacko241 Avatar
jacko241 Silver Member Joe J
Saint Augustine, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1447234 by CaLaxly Thanks! This car is something I've been wanting to work on since I was 15 years old. I have a bunch of parts that my father has available since he raced Tr7s and Tr8s in SCCA cups, he just seems to lack something that isn't a race engine and manual transmission which he "believes" is going to be powerful for a street car ( basically a bunch of Dolomite 3.6s ). I've already searched most online sites that would potentially sell parts I could use but it seems that the only person who has some already has what I have. For me it's basically just an engine, driveshaft, and transmission, I even have the Group 44 fender molds for some new fenders to fix the cracked ones.

Any chance you would want to sell some Group 44 fenders?

tr7v8mike Avatar
Hi Cary,

I just recently more-or-less finished my TR7 V8 a little while ago and there is something I wish I had done before I started, and will do on the next car. That is, work out what you want your car to be. Nice looking daily ride? Show car? Club track car? Weekend country cruiser? Unregistered serious track car? Do you want it to remain essentially Triumph (which means only a Rover V8)? Some combination of the above? Making this decision and doing some planning before you start will save you lots of hours and $$$.
Do you want to keep the A/C? If no, then ripping the old one out is one of the earlier things to do. Do you need to plan for the AC compressor and condenser? Do you want an over-sized sump and oil-cooler? Do you want to install a roll cage, racing seat and 6-point harness? Do you want to be able to quickly swap the racing seat and the comfy leather one? Do you want to insulate the cabin for sound and heat? Do you want to strip as much weight as you possibly can? How much do you want to spend?

Once you have worked out what car you want, think about the changes you need to make and then make a plan of the order in which you will do things. It will save you lots of time, money and frustration not having to uninstall what you recently finished because you skipped a step. Ask me how I know.

Mike

BTW: If you decide on a Rover V8 with EFI, let me know. That was the path I took and I have pretty much all of the good literature that's floating around on the web.

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Amen brother. You are echoing what I have been saying for years. Seen lots of guys go out and buy a clean fairly original car. Then they modify it just a little. Then they decide to modify it a little more. Then they decide they want to go all out, so they start all over. Then, they either abandon midway thru or finish it and sell the car for pennies on the dollar. In a way, if you can't make up your mind, its cheaper to just keep buying more TR8s with different performance levels. I know several people that started out with nice fairly original TR8s then dumped 20K into them just to end up with a car they could have bought for 12 to 15.

CaLaxly Cary P
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
Thanks for the advice on how to plan out building the car... As it stands, I want to get my Tr7 running flawlessly. After that I plan to do the conversion. For me at least I plan on it being a fun weekend car. I will probably not sell some Group 44 TR7 V8 fenders as well, at least not until I can lay fiberglass myself. Those fenders were a chance find and the actual car had to be restored without them, the guy was working on it not to far from me and was going nuts because he believed the fenders had been lost. When I found the guy and he told me that I just laughed my butt off cause I had them the whole time just laying around.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Triumph TR3A

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links