AutoShrine Sponsor

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
My personal stash of everything TR7V8/TR8 has reached a critical mass. Believe it or not, I'm seriously considering taking on more stuff. A garage full of stuff. Enough stuff just in that garage to build 2 more TR8 coupes and still have several truck beds full of spares. This past week my basement ended up with 6 inches of water in it because my daughter figured the extension cord for the sump pump was better served running a treadmill. While sorting thru wet kids toys, my wife knocked over a stack of 6 unobtanium TR8 bell housings. I'll never do 6 more conversions. Time for some of this stuff to go... so I have room for more stuff.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, california, USA   USA
Todd,

I think you're approaching your problem the wrong way, you don't need to sell stuff you just need a bigger garage.

diver Richard Crothers
NorthEast, Maryland, USA   USA
Need to known how to install a clutch and 5T transmission in a TR7? I think I will need a BPO bellhousing from a H body auto (Monza, Sunbird, Starfire Skyhawk ) that was using a V6 Buick engine. I think that hookup was hydraulic and had clearance from the floor. Anybody using that clutch type hookup? Sorry, already have a very hot V6Buick, but don't have bellhousing. Only thinking about a five speed as it has +5th gear.
Already have an auto with auto transmission.
Richard

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
You will need a BOP bell housing, a flywheel, a clutch that matches the splines on the input shaft of the T5 you select, a hydraulic throw out mechanism(HTOB for short), a clutch pedal, a clutch master cylinder and piping. Most likely going to need a new driveshaft and whatever interior pieces to complete install. The MGB V8 guys use the T5 often. More knowledge over on the MG side of the Experience. I could sell you a BOP bell housing and a NOS T50 transmission from the late 70s. Thats the 5 speed that was used in the Monzasunbirdskyhawk.

RWPankratz Ron Pankratz
Ooltewah, TN, USA   USA
I've been thinking about a v8 swap in my 1979 TR7. What components do you have, what condition, and how much for a set of the key components for the swap?

diver Richard Crothers
Hello Todd,

Thanks for info. Was over to MG site, lots of data and ideas.
Came up with a BPO bellhousing using a spacer/adapter to mount FordV8 5T. There was one idea that maybe possible, use a bellhouseing as in V6 powered Jeep to Ford trans. Most likely not able to find.
The Ford V8 T5 has the good gear ratio set-up and easier to find than GM V8 T5, V6 has bad ratio, first gear is a granny.
The T5 5th gear is needed as the TR7 rear axle is 3.45 with short tires.

Now to your BOP bellhouseing is it a H car design where the throw out arm comes out about 20 degrees on lower left side under or near gas pedal. Q is will it clear the body? Next Q is $ for your bell?

Richard

18593210 Avatar
18593210 Silver Member Wilbur Cook
Austin, TX, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB V6 Conversion
1980 Triumph TR8 "BLUE GOOSE"
1981 Triumph TR8 "CHESTER"
I may need a new engine or at least a good short block.

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
PM sent. Wilbur, if you end up needing a new engine, I have 3.5s, but I recommend trying to find a local 4.0 or 4.6L. You will like the bump in power.

18593210 Avatar
18593210 Silver Member Wilbur Cook
Austin, TX, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB V6 Conversion
1980 Triumph TR8 "BLUE GOOSE"
1981 Triumph TR8 "CHESTER"
So help me out. If I go looking for a land rover engine 4.0 or 4.6. which years will fit the TR8s mount and connect to the tranny? Which years to avoid. If I can't find a local engine do you have an engine that would work without engine work? thank you.

1147cc Avatar
1147cc Silver Member Douglas Hansen
Westminster, SC, USA   USA
Got any Sprint parts?

Douglas Hansen
New Parts; Engine Rebuilds; Sheet Metal work and Advice.
http://www.1147cc.com

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
No sprint parts. Any Rover V8 will fit up until 2004 when they switched to the BMW V8. They are pretty much all the same block as far as how things bolt up. You will need your oil pan and timing cover. The engines installed in the Land Rover had larger pans that won't clear our crossmember. Later versions went with a serpentine front pulley arrangement with a crank drivers oil pump. You can make those work, but its easier to just swap in the TR8 cover, distributor, and oil pump. You may have to change the bushing in the back of the crank and you may have to add a front pulley spacer depending on what engine you install. Lots of TR8s and MGB V8s running around with the later engines. Around here, there are more with bigger engines than ones with 3.5L.

diver Richard Crothers
Hello TR8Todd,

After all the looking at all the data about Ford T5 and BPO bellhousing came to end not finding adapter. I did find an interesting article about using a S10 rear axle in a MG, much more available then Ford. As I will need some things I am interested you some of your stuff in the little pool in the basement. So I am sending you my E-mail address so we can cover cost of items.
imrich1937@yahoo.com

Richard

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
The only 4.0/4.6 engines I have ready to go are slated for a couple of my own projects. Don't jump the gun on your engine until you find out whats wrong with it. If you determine yours has to come out, and then you subsequently determine its junk, then look at your options and their associated costs. If the 3.5 needs a rebuild, then thats the perfect time to consider going to a bigger more powerful engine.... if thats what you want. Not everybody needs a 250 plus HP TR8 to scratch their itch. On your engine, I'd start by pulling the plugs and sticking a borescope down there to see whats going on. From what you described, about a horrible noise and then it was gone, could be that something got sucked into the cylinders, bounced around and then expelled thru the exhaust. The fact that the damaged plugs were all next to each other lends credence to that theory. I had the nut retaining the air cleaner come loose and end up inside one bank of cylinders. It started in number 4 and then traveled back up into the intake and then down into number 6. When I pulled the head on that side, it was still sitting in the number 6 hole. There were lots of small dents in the cylinder head and the spark plugs were mashed. Put it back together without doing anything to the dented heads and the car still runs great 4 years later.

TeamEvil Avatar
TeamEvil Gold Member Thomas C
Kingston, Massachusetts, USA   USA
"I had the nut retaining the air cleaner come loose and end up inside one bank of cylinders. "

That one's on me, amazing how little time it took to "fix" it !

The T50 transmission is a pretty nice choice, just the reverse position first that gives it an odd reputation, really takes just an hours around town driving to get used to it, then it's no big deal !

It was built to keep the Monza and Vega up to traffic requirements and is well geared for the small engines, terrifically gear for the moderate output/size 3.5.

DON'T disregard it out of hand.

Finding a T-5 Ford in good condition is like finding a teenage boy without pimples, impossible . . . especially since all of the pimply teenage boys (current or former) were the ones who beat the shit out of most Mustang T5s.

Look to the BOP powered Jeeps for your clutch/bearing/input shaft collar/bearing/flywheel/pressure plate needs. Strong and cheap and made for the BOP. You can modify the stock TR7/8 clutch pedals (John's cars has the info) to work with the stock cable clutch from the Monza/Vega, simplifies everything and has a nice Ol' Skool street race feel to it. The front engine mount for the BOP is available from Speedway Motors, the rear trans mount is an easily modified TR7/8 item with a GM rubber mount attached, I believe that it's just the one bolt once the mount is modified. Use the short water pump from a front wheel drive car with a electric fan out of a Volvo to get you started. An aluminum radiator comes next. Short tube V6 headers are also available from Speedway Motors and drop cleanly right down behind the engine mounts. A TR8 alternator bracket is gonna probably be needed to clear the hood.

Here's a shot of the V6 built for the Karmann Ghia:

With the headers, alternator bracket, and several other needed items.

If you need an original low-rise BOP intake rather than the high-rise Edelbrock Performer, lemme know. They'll clear anything and work great.

The unaltered S10 rear axle seems to fit a TR7 and Vega, not an MGB or MGA. Of course, the old tried and true Dana 44 drops into the MGB like it was born there, he Mustang rear axle is a near drop-in for the TR7/8.

Hope that some of this helps a bit—

tr7v8mike Avatar
tr7v8mike Gold Member Michael Booth
SYDNEY, NSW, Australia   AUS
I swapped my 3.5 for a 4.6 (tuned up a bit) last year and there is no comparison. The 3.5 is dozey and fine for restful drives in the country. When a Mazda6 almost kept up with me around a track I thought it was time for a change. Now I'm a Badboy

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links