AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
BTW, here are my patterns after assembly.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0812.jpg    47.3 KB
IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg    38.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
tirebiter Jeff Garber
Dighton, MA, USA   USA
uh oh. Looks VERY different. Did you sue the same piece of wood to cause drag ?

1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1442565 by tirebiter uh oh. Looks VERY different. Did you sue the same piece of wood to cause drag ?

I only ran one pass across the gears, as you suggested. I think it looks pretty much the same, just more defined in the after photo.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tirebiter Jeff Garber
Dighton, MA, USA   USA
I see a similar angled line and one of the teeth seems similar. Were you turning the pinion flange it in the same direction as before ?

1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Here is the before on top, after on bottom, and I tried to outline where I thing the contact pattern is.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Attachments:
IMG_0794.jpg-copy.jpg    63.6 KB
IMG_0794.jpg-copy.jpg

1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1442572 by tirebiter I see a similar angled line and one of the teeth seems similar. Were you turning the pinion flange it in the same direction as before ?

Well, one way to do one side, the other to get the other side.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

tirebiter Jeff Garber
Dighton, MA, USA   USA
OK so I'm stretching a little here but I seem to remember the TR-8 engine rotates counterclockwise as veiwed from in front of the car. So that puts the thrust surface of the tooth, on the convex side. Unless my dylexsia is getting the best of me, I believe that is the contact pattern that matters.

If that's the case, then the pattern actually seems to be a bit deeper into the root of the tooth than before, which might be a good thing although it's not not even anymore, across the bottom which may not matter ... It looks deeper into the root on the inner diameter.

But it looks like the darkest spot is not centered as well as it was. Now it's closer to the outer diameter as if the pinion height or something else, may have changed.

You are at a critical point with this project. Hopefully it will be ok. You'll know immeidately as soon as you get to 50-60 MPH or maybe way before that. If it's really whining loudly ... like I do sometimes ... you'll need to reset something in the ring to pinion relationship.

A press is the correct tool for installing ball bearings. The outer race of a roller bearing can be driven into place with a hammer and drift but it's best not to pound on the inner race with the rollers installed on it.

1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Did a quick road test today. Nothing blew up, no unusual sounds. In fact, there was a bit of a clunk that I used to have, that I thought might be in the transmission that is gone. I think it was the play in the spider gears, the Quaife has none. I don't know if the stock spider gears should, or if my are worn.

Tried a bit of power on a few corners (it was raining), didn't get the wheel spin that came so easily before, so all in all a success!

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1443542 by darrellwalker Did a quick road test today. Nothing blew up, no unusual sounds. In fact, there was a bit of a clunk that I used to have, that I thought might be in the transmission that is gone. I think it was the play in the spider gears, the Quaife has none. I don't know if the stock spider gears should, or if my are worn.

Tried a bit of power on a few corners (it was raining), didn't get the wheel spin that came so easily before, so all in all a success!

Awesome, dude! smileys with beer

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

tirebiter Jeff Garber
Dighton, MA, USA   USA
No noise at a steady 50-70 MPH lightly accellerating and lightly coasting ? If not then congratulations on a job well done !!!

If you had the choice to do it again in another TR-8 would you do it again ?

1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1443801 by tirebiter No noise at a steady 50-70 MPH lightly accellerating and lightly coasting ? If not then congratulations on a job well done !!!

Sounds the same as it did before.

In reply to # 1443801 by tirebiter If you had the choice to do it again in another TR-8 would you do it again ?

Probably. I've only had a couple of drives on it so far, but it seems to have addressed the issue I was hoping to.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

meurisk Koen Meurisse
Astene, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium   BEL
Hi Darrell,

Would you have some more pictures of the installation? I'm also thinking of installing a Qauife.

Thanks,
Koen

1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1496047 by meurisk Hi Darrell,

Would you have some more pictures of the installation? I'm also thinking of installing a Qauife.

Thanks,
Koen

Hi Koen,

No, I've pretty much posted all of the pictures I took. But I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

-Darrell

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster