Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Spike77 Avatar
Spike77 Carey K
Kelowna, B c, Canada   CAN
My hi beam. Switch is broken so it won't stay on hi beam. I bought a box of signal switches on eBay but haven tried to install yet Can I try switches without installing first i.e. Just plugging in wires and how difficult is it to install?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tr7v8mike Avatar
tr7v8mike Gold Member Michael Booth
SYDNEY, NSW, Australia   AUS
Hi Todd,

The pic was of the new Chinese one. I have attached a diagram of the original female plug in the car, looking straight on at the end of the connector.

Regarding the model of the car based on the VIN: made for Australia (RHD) in production year 1980 at Canley.

Mike

Attachments:
9-pin connector.pdf    34.9 KB

tr7v8mike Avatar
Hi Spike,

Yes, its easy to test them. There should be a 9-pin connector, in easy reach under the dash near the steering column, that matches the connector on your new switch. A word of warning: if you bought it off ebay it will be Chinese made and lots of people are complaining about what crap they are. If it doesn't work properly or fails shortly after you install it, don't waste your time trying to find the fault. The best thing you can do is try to find an original Lucas, although that's getting harder.

Installation isn't hard. Remove the plastic cover that covers the two steering column switches (two screws underneath). Remove the steering wheel and shaft. There should be two fixings on the column: one near the floor and another one about half way up. Don't just try to take the steering wheel off, it doesn't help. You will see three or four screw heads on the left side which allow you to remove the switch mechanism.

If you feel tempted to dismantle the switch, be warned that lots of tiny widgets jump out and it can be a bugger to work out where they all came from.

Good luck

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Spike77 Avatar
Spike77 Carey K
Kelowna, B c, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1403920 by tr7v8mike Hi Spike,

Yes, its easy to test them. There should be a 9-pin connector, in easy reach under the dash near the steering column, that matches the connector on your new switch. A word of warning: if you bought it off ebay it will be Chinese made and lots of people are complaining about what crap they are. If it doesn't work properly or fails shortly after you install it, don't waste your time trying to find the fault. The best thing you can do is try to find an original Lucas, although that's getting harder.

Installation isn't hard. Remove the plastic cover that covers the two steering column switches (two screws underneath). Remove the steering wheel and shaft. There should be two fixings on the column: one near the floor and another one about half way up. Don't just try to take the steering wheel off, it doesn't help. You will see three or four screw heads on the left side which allow you to remove the switch mechanism.

If you feel tempted to dismantle the switch, be warned that lots of tiny widgets jump out and it can be a bugger to work out where they all came from.

Good luck

Thanx so much I will give it a try The switches I bought look like all were original used so will try. When I'm done testing i will give some away on here that work if anyone needs them

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Found 7 of them that match your criteria. A couple of them have the floppies. A couple more have spliced wires. I'm feeling generous so how does $40 a piece sound. You can have up to 2 of them. Too bad you didn't want the squared off ones. There must be 20 of them in the garage. Let me know and I'll take some time and plug them in and see if they work on one of my 8s.

tr7v8mike Avatar
You're a champ, Todd. I'll take both and throw in $30 for postage. Let me know if it's more than that. Please send your bank details and I'll transfer the money.

My address is 2/18 Fullerton Street, Woollahra NSW 2025
Australia

Thanks again
Mike

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
I'll box them up and drop them at the post office. I'll give you a total once they are under way. One of your fellow Australians is looking for a dual choke cable. If shipping is expensive, I might drop the cables in your box and then you can forward them to him. We'll see if he gets back to me. Send me a PM with your phone number. They ask for that on the customs documents I have to fill out

bowen6951 Avatar
bowen6951 Gold Member rob bowen
Fontana, CA, USA   USA
Gotta love that Aussie sense of humor, must be from all that blood rushing to their heads. Thanks, Rob

allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
Do you have to pull the steering wheel to replace the turn signal switch? I think mine may be bad.

dhuddleson Avatar
dhuddleson David Huddleson
Manotick, ON, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1404685 by allzway Do you have to pull the steering wheel to replace the turn signal switch? I think mine may be bad.

Unfortunately, yes....

The wiper control lever is easier as it simply bolts onto the plate that the turn signals are part of.

mypontiac Avatar
mypontiac Sean Cook
austin, TX, USA   USA
Why do you need to remove the column to replace the switch?

Can it be done with just removing the steering wheel?

So to remove the column you will need to loosen the connection in the engine compartment?

Thanks,

Sean

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1509524 by mypontiac Why do you need to remove the column to replace the switch?

Can it be done with just removing the steering wheel?

So to remove the column you will need to loosen the connection in the engine compartment?

Thanks,

Sean

Sean:

I think you misread the post. It is only necessary to remove the steering wheel, and the column cowling.

Be certain you get the signal cancellation collar oriented correctly when you replace the switch. It can be installed 180o out, and if you do that it will not cancel the turn signals automatically when you make a turn. Ask me how I know.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
Did these cars come with two styles of turn signal stalks? One of my cars has a curved stalk so I can keep my hand on the wheel and still manipulate the stalk. On the other car I have a straight stalk which I hate. Each time I want to use it I have reach below the wheel to active the signal. Was this a year model change or is this an OEM vs after market distinction?

nick

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1510671 by nick Did these cars come with two styles of turn signal stalks? One of my cars has a curved stalk so I can keep my hand on the wheel and still manipulate the stalk. On the other car I have a straight stalk which I hate. Each time I want to use it I have reach below the wheel to active the signal. Was this a year model change or is this an OEM vs after market distinction?

The LHD TR7/TR8 late models used a smooth grip turn signal switch with a curved stalk. There is an otherwise identical switch with a straight stalk that was used in LHD Minis. Electrically and mechanically they are interchangeable although as you noticed, the location relative to the steering wheel can be less convenient.

There may a similar situation for the earlier model LHD flared grip switches, but I am really not certain.

Both styles are available here.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 Triumph TR4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links