AutoShrine Sponsor

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Grabbed a set of doors that originally came on a 76 coupe. Not sure if later ones weighed more or less. Anything is possible with the amount of sound deadening inside these things. Just the door and related parts like glass, window winder, exterior mirror, and exterior door handle. Nothing from inside the door, no door panel, no door pull, no door lock or plastic window crank was on the doors. Starting point is 53 lbs. For reference, I got the BMW2002 doors from 56 lbs down to 13 lbs. Those can be seen in one of the previous pics.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Removed all of the glass, window channels and everything else that bolts inside the door. That dropped 20 lbs. Then I cut away the cabin side of the door, cut out the door bar and removed the sound deadening. That door bar is solid. It's made out of much thicker steel than I imagined, and has a full plate boxing it in behind what you can see. That bar alone was a shade over 10lbs. The way the door sits now, its between 16 and 17 pounds. I can cut away the strengthening plate for the door stroker, but the inner edge of the window channel out and remove the top part of the window channel(the part that makes it a coupe door instead of a convertible door), and drill large holes in the box section. Bet I can get it down to 13lbs before I start adding things to it. Need to close up door handle hole, add some kind of lightweight door handle latch thingy, and maybe add some lean window glass. Strarting to think I might as well do up two sets of doors and just use removable pins on the hinges. Can make a set ultra light for track days, and a set not so light for street driving. Would be nice to have built in door pockets and at the very least side curtains. I think I may have set my goals of 2500 lbs and 500 hp at the wheels too low. Will's LSX convertible conversion came in between 27 and 2800 pounds, but he has the iron block, and used Mustang front and Explorer rear brakes. Not to mention a full interior. The block and brakes alone must weigh 150 lbs more than mine. Made contact with another Camaro LS3 guy here in town. He showed me his dyno slips. His car with bolt ons and a cam made 510 hp without a custom tune. The other guy in town made 502 with a turbo cam and bolt ons. The Turbo cam has no overlap and is a milder grind than the other guys, but he plans on installing forced induction this summer. Both of them said they had about $2K in work and both paid to have the parts installed. Parts alone were in the $1300 range.

tr8 Paul m
ottawa, ontario, Canada   CAN
Here is the only shot of the old TR7 race car doors guts. You can see the passenger is the same with a thin sheet of aluminum over top. They were very light.
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-18 09:49 AM by tr8.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSC02869.JPG    59.5 KB
DSC02869.JPG

tr8 Paul m
ottawa, ontario, Canada   CAN
another shot

Attachments:
DSC00059.JPG    43.1 KB
DSC00059.JPG

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Thanks Paul. Need more race car!! Thats interesting the way the front legs of the cage continue down at a diagonal and never achieve a vertical. Don't think that will hold up too well in the event of a roll over and all the weight of the car is pushing down. Finished gutting the other door, but thats it for a few days. Going camping with the fam.

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Some assembly required. 5X4.5" trailer hubs machined true. 1" aluminum spacers. Aluminum sleeve machined from solid 3.25" aluminum rodto go over trailer hub snout and under spacer and Wilwood brake hat. 2.5" inner bore by 3.06" outer bore. Hat came with a 3.06" inner bore, so I opened up the spacer to the same and made the spacer. Hats are 1.96" in depth. Roars are 12.19"X.81". Looks like caliper mounts are dead nuts in the same plane as the stock mounts just much farther out. Need to make a flat bracket and see if any spacer washer need to be added to adjust calipers in or out. FWIW, Wilwood rotor/hat combo seem to be slightly lighter than stock rotor. At least when you pick them up one in each hand. Calipers are obviously lighter. Once its mounted up for good, I'll weigh everything up. Willing to bet the whole strut, brakes, coil over, spring, camber plate, set up is about the same weight as stock, or less. Big thanks to Glen for letting me use his machines and not loosing his patience with me. That guy is an amazing machinist and an even better friend.

Attachments:
DSCI1712.JPG    58.1 KB
DSCI1712.JPG

DSCI1714.JPG    52.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSCI1715.JPG    56.2 KB
DSCI1717.JPG    53.6 KB
parrisw William P
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
Real nice work. Same as what I did. Except for the brakes.

Bland Avatar
Bland Tim Bland
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Very nice nice work.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1466153 by Bland Very nice nice work.

+1 on that. Todd is such a wedge head. hot smiley

I have accused him of attempting to turn a wedge into a ballistic missile, and he is getting close to succeeding.

A magnificent obsession, to say the least.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Door bars are cut and in place, just need to weld them in. There is a kink in the top bar so that it extends into the door slightly, but not enough to interfere with door glass, or in this case, Lexan. Need to focus on getting this thing back to being a roller. Once the rear end is installed, I can order up a driveshaft and start taking it apart for final body work and paint.

Attachments:
DSCI1719.JPG    63.4 KB
DSCI1719.JPG

DSCI1720.JPG    48.4 KB
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Oh look, a rabbit hole. Lets see how deep I can get into this one. Aluminum center section with 3.45 gears and a posi. Supposedy its better and stronger than the aluminum 8.8 Ford IRS. Its made by Getrag and not Chevy, so its got to be pretty good.

Attachments:
DSCI1721.JPG    77.2 KB
DSCI1721.JPG

DSCI1722.JPG    64.8 KB
parrisw William P
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
What's that out if Todd. Can't wait too see how that fits.

tr7v8mike Avatar
tr7v8mike Gold Member Michael Booth
SYDNEY, NSW, Australia   AUS
I don't know Todd ..... doesn't look strong enough to me.

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Came out of the donor Camaro. Would need to make a tubular mount for it because the steel mount is a beast of a piece. Saw somewhere that the entire unit weighs it at 340 pounds. Probably can't use much more than the center section. Axles are too long, and have the wrong bolt pattern. I'll tear it apart and put it under the car. Then I can try and figure something out. I'd need custom axles, custom subframe, and custom control arms. Maybe parts of the axles can be used, shortened and new bolt pattern drilled. Probably can reuse the bearing carriers. Might be able to just shorten the drive shaft that was in the Camaro. I have a narrowed 31 spline Ford 8.8 with 3.73 limited slip ready to go in. Already bought all the Wilwood stuff, coil overs, and tubular heim jointed adjustable control arms for the Ford stick axle as well. Decisions, decisions, what should I do?
Throw the straight axle in and be done with it, or spend another $1000 plus and a month of fabricating to have an IRS. The straight axle is better for drag racing, the IRS is better for everything else. FWIW this thing had enormous Brembo calipers with 4 tiny pistons and 14 inch vented rotors. Not too shabby for rear brakes. I guess thats what it takes to slow down a 4,000 pound car capable of 180 mph. As if the stock brakes aren't clownishly big enough, you can buy big brake kits for the Camaro.

Bland Avatar
Bland Tim Bland
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Well it seems you have done pretty much everything that can be done to a TR8 except for putting a IRS in one. This would be interesting..

Tim B

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster