AutoShrine Sponsor

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Made up the panels and mounted the headlights to make sure everything still lines up.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSC04492.JPG    57.4 KB
DSC04492.JPG

DSC04493.JPG    57.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
parrisw William P
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
Looking really good Todd.

racing1549 Avatar
racing1549 Brad Williams
Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA   USA
I too am enjoying watching this project. I have several 7's that i have considered project cars but need motivation. . You do nice work wish you were local to Va. .

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1456558 by TR8todd Made up the panels and mounted the headlights to make sure everything still lines up.

Todd:

That is not a street car you are building, it is a ballistic missile on wheels. Clearly a violation of a half dozen nuclear arms treaties.

I am waiting for the FBI to shut you down on this one, buddy.

Your new alias: Menace 2 Society.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-11 11:49 AM by Darth V8R.

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Front is done, except for hood pins somewhere down the road. Still toying with the idea of tracing out a TR8 hood onto the Camaro aluminum hood. Camaro hood is plenty big enough to make a TR8 hood out of. Power bulge on the Camaro lines up perfectly with the TR7/8 bulge but its taller. I would need to braze aluminum tubing on the back side to give it rigidity, similar to how they build NASCAR hoods. Made up a mount for brake and clutch masters. They will stick up above the dash. Moving on to fuel cell next. The trunk floor is cut out and I am about ready to start bending sheetmetal panels for the trunk.

Attachments:
DSCI1665.JPG    46.5 KB
DSCI1665.JPG

DSCI1664.JPG    48.2 KB
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Got a few hours to work on the fuel cell. Cut out spare tire well and as much else as I dare so that I could make a proper assessment of what I had to work with. Cell is roughly 25X17X9 and holds 16 gallons. Made a box out of 18 gauge steel slightly bigger than the cell. Made a platform out of 1" square tubing that is slightly bigger than the box. Threw a coat of paint inside and outside of the steel box. Need to step back and think about things for a night. Probably going to make up panels to span the gaps between what is left of the floor and the square tubing, then drop the can down on top of that and fabricate a cover for it. Not sure what to do with the back wall of the trunk because its curved. Probably going to cut more out and just remake it with some tubing and some ,more sheetmetal. Playing with the idea of building a compartment where the gas tank sat. Could use that for a space saver spare tire, and any added metal there would help to tie the shock mounts together.

Attachments:
DSCI1661.JPG    39 KB
DSCI1661.JPG

DSCI1669.JPG    38.4 KB
DSCI1670.JPG    45.1 KB
DSCI1671.JPG    35.6 KB
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Got three sides off the floor patched, and fixed the rust that was at the rear under the tail light panel. Need to make a front panel. Probably going to cut out where the old tank bolted in all the way up to the overlap seam, and then replace with an L shaped panel all the way across. Need to do a little rust repair where the battery usually sits, but since I need to cut out the metal anyway... might just make a sunken battery box like on the MGB and have it hang down like the fuel cell does. Original plan was to use a lightweight Braille battery and just mount it up near the fuse box area. Those things only weigh a few pounds and you can mount them sideways if you want. Figure the closer to the starter the better, and save a little weight on the extra battery cable. Maybe make the battery box and store something in it besides a battery.

Attachments:
DSCI1672.JPG    58.4 KB
DSCI1672.JPG

DSCI1673.JPG    61.6 KB
DSCI1674.JPG    52.1 KB
racing1549 Avatar
racing1549 Brad Williams
Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA   USA
What is the gray paint you are coating the welds with? Por 15 or snake skin. brad

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Rustoleum brush on grey. Love the stuff for wherever I may need to go back and remove paint. Comes off with a wire brush. Goes over bare clean metal. You can add coats whoever you want. Just to show you how much I like the stuff, here's my BMW 2002. Entire cockpit and trunk are this color. My TR8 race cars is yellow rustoleum inside.

Attachments:
DSC01858_2.JPG    39.4 KB
DSC01858_2.JPG

DSC01850 2.JPG    47.1 KB
MAB Mark B
Cedar falls, Iowa, USA   USA
Awesome project Todd. I check almost daily for updates. What shape is the tire well in that you removed? And if it is rust free are you interested in selling it? Keep the updates and pics coming. Thanks. Mark.

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Thanks. The one I cut out had a hole in the bottom, but I have a couple of others that are in decent shape. PM me with an email address and I can send you some pictures.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, Oregon, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1460523 by TR8todd Got a few hours to work on the fuel cell. Cut out spare tire well and as much else as I dare so that I could make a proper assessment of what I had to work with. Cell is roughly 25X17X9 and holds 16 gallons. Made a box out of 18 gauge steel slightly bigger than the cell. Made a platform out of 1" square tubing that is slightly bigger than the box. Threw a coat of paint inside and outside of the steel box. Need to step back and think about things for a night. Probably going to make up panels to span the gaps between what is left of the floor and the square tubing, then drop the can down on top of that and fabricate a cover for it. Not sure what to do with the back wall of the trunk because its curved. Probably going to cut more out and just remake it with some tubing and some ,more sheetmetal. Playing with the idea of building a compartment where the gas tank sat. Could use that for a space saver spare tire, and any added metal there would help to tie the shock mounts together.

Dammit, man!

You are in danger of violating the Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty (SALT) with that thing. The guys in the black helicopters are going to come calling when you start it up the first time.

Don't despair, I (and others) will come visit you in prison. And thinking only of your best interests, I will take care of all your cars until you get out on parole. You can trust me. smoking smiley

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Finished the trunk/fuel cell area. Fixed the rust that was present in the trunk floor under battery tray and along the lower tail light panel. Fuel cell box isn't going in until I finish the rear end. It will be nice to have a pass thru. Picked up 2 more lengths or roll cage tubing, so now its on to finishing the cage. Needs drivers door bars and a horizontal in the main hoop at a minimum. Have thoughts for other bars, but don't want to add needless weight and make it even more intrusive for when I do want to drive this on the street. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel on the heavy fabrication work. Can't wait to get into final body work and paint. Leaning towards either a satin red finish or black chalk board paint. How cool would it be if kids could draw on my car when it was parked at shows? Maybe make some magnetic wooden chalk trays to stick to the side of the car.

Attachments:
DSCI1690.JPG    52.4 KB
DSCI1690.JPG

DSCI1691.JPG    46.4 KB
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Made up the horizontal in the main hoop and a harness bar. Harness bar is located exactly where the stock seat belts loop up over a metal bar on the coupes and at the same height as the loop at the front of the seat belt reel on the convertibles. If I loop stock belts over the bar and use a stock seat, the belts will extend forward exactly where the stock ones do. The Harness bar also lines up slightly below the plane where the shoulder straps pass thru the Kirkby race seat. Both good things. Getting them to fit and welding in the them in was a challenge. I hate laying on my back trying to weld with one hand, while looking in a mirror held in the other hand, all the while trying to keep the tip of the welder from grounding out against the metal adjacent to where I'm welding. Not my finest welding, but it will work. A little grinding some grapes off and then hit it with paint. It will be fine and look great. Next trick is going to be to fit some doors and see how much weight I can take off. Any guesses what a coupe door weighs before and after it meets a fillet knife? Once the doors are fitted, I can see what I need to do for drivers side door bars.

Attachments:
DSCI1708.JPG    51.2 KB
DSCI1708.JPG

DSCI1709.JPG    49.8 KB
DSCI1710.JPG    53.3 KB
DSCI1711.JPG    57.9 KB
M1kem3 Avatar
M1kem3 Michael Rawlins
San Antonio, Texas, USA   USA
Great work as always! Having removed coupe doors before, I'd say they're around 40 pounds, but I have no idea how much you'll be able to remove.

In reply to # 1464836 by TR8todd Made up the horizontal in the main hoop and a harness bar. Harness bar is located exactly where the stock seat belts loop up over a metal bar on the coupes and at the same height as the loop at the front of the seat belt reel on the convertibles. If I loop stock belts over the bar and use a stock seat, the belts will extend forward exactly where the stock ones do. The Harness bar also lines up slightly below the plane where the shoulder straps pass thru the Kirkby race seat. Both good things. Getting them to fit and welding in the them in was a challenge. I hate laying on my back trying to weld with one hand, while looking in a mirror held in the other hand, all the while trying to keep the tip of the welder from grounding out against the metal adjacent to where I'm welding. Not my finest welding, but it will work. A little grinding some grapes off and then hit it with paint. It will be fine and look great. Next trick is going to be to fit some doors and see how much weight I can take off. Any guesses what a coupe door weighs before and after it meets a fillet knife? Once the doors are fitted, I can see what I need to do for drivers side door bars.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster