AutoShrine Sponsor

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Scored a salvage 2010 Camaro SS with 11,097 miles. Picked it up in a blizzard on Monday. Had my first chance to look it over just now, so I brushed off the snow and popped the hood. Turns out it has stainless headers and a full 3" stainless exhaust. That right there is close to $2K in bonus bolt ons. If I can't use the headers on the wedge, at least I can sell them and help bring down the cost of my initial outlay. Air cleaner assembly is gone, so I can only assume it had an aftermarket fresh air system. Looking at the throttle body, its huge. Seems too big to be stock, but I won't know until I get into it. How cool would it be if there were more go fast goodies on this thing? Still can't figure out why this thing was totaled. Looks to be a real quick and easy fix, so I may just fix and flip and start looking for another one. Either way, I need to do something quick. I feel the need to grow more chest hair and start wearing gold chains.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trekcarbonboy Avatar
trekcarbonboy Craig Hall
Perkasie, PA, USA   USA
NICE!
I just missed out on a 2000 Firebird (LS1 +T56) on Copart last week by only $50. Got to stick to your limit. It had long tube headers and a Hurst shifter. Who knows what else. Just have to keep looking.
Good luck with it.

sheetsofsound Avatar
sheetsofsound Brent Taylor
New Westminster, BC, Canada   CAN
Ah, gold chains I think I have in a closet someplace if you're stuck.

You're on your own for the chest hair.

Brent

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Ran a carfax on this thing and it turned up something interesting. Car was sold new to an owner described as "corporate". In the 6 years that "corporate" owned it, it traveled 1700 miles with most of those the last year it was registered. Turned up failed emission tests but not on the first one at time of sale. Sold last year thru a local dealer on April 22 with 1700 miles. Failed another emission test in May with 4500 miles and was declared a total loss on July 16 with 11,097 miles. So the only thing I can figure is it was a test mule of some kind for a shop/tuner/Chevrolet/ who knows what, or it was strictly a drag car. Then it was sold to a local pipe fitter(union sticker in rear window) who drove the piss out of it for 3 months and then wrecked it. So if this thing failed emission tests early on, there is probably more than just an aftermarket exhaust and headers on this thing. Next step is to get rid of the snow around the trailer and get this thing into the garage where I can play with it. Looking at very cold days ahead and work is piling up, so it may be a while. Coming into the busiest time of the year for me. Tax return time means bathroom remodel time. Starting one today in fact.

TeamEvil Avatar
TeamEvil Gold Member Thomas C
Kingston, Massachusetts, USA   USA
" I feel the need to grow more chest hair and start wearing gold chains."

Might just want to shave the front and top of your head and move to New Jersey.

Last time I was through there I noticed that the number plates had a new state moto on them:

"New Jersey, home of the Camaro and the comb over !"

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Put the battery charger on it for a day and fired it up when I got home today. Started right up. Wow is this thing loud. Sounds like a V8 road race car. Loud enough at idle but it has an ear splitting sinister growl above 3K rpms. If my TR8 sounds like this, I will get lots of unwanted attention.

ls325ci Mar Bal
Hayward, California, USA   USA
In reply to # 1347843 by TR8todd Put the battery charger on it for a day and fired it up when I got home today. Started right up. Wow is this thing loud. Sounds like a V8 road race car. Loud enough at idle but it has an ear splitting sinister growl above 3K rpms. If my TR8 sounds like this, I will get lots of unwanted attention.

straight pipe with no cats can make them growl. any possibility of cams in there? that could make the car louder and could be why it failed emission.

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Possibly. Once the engine warmed up, the idle seemed to hunt a little. Wouldn't hold completely steady, but that may just be because there is no air cleaner or box on it. There is a pigtail of wires and a vacuum line just laying there that I assume went somewhere on the fresh air system. Pitch of the exhaust changes drastically above 3K so its a definite maybe. Either way, it doesn't sound like a triumph. My TR8 race car doesn't even come close to sounding this mean.

tirebiter Jeff Garber
Dighton, MA, USA   USA
I think Camaro and Mustang exhaust system engineers work overtime just to produce prodigious amounts of attention grabbing exhaust note. You can always tell when there is one somewhere in traffic, ahead of you. Todd, pm sent.

posi Don Positano
Toronto, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Hi Craig
Nice looking TR7 !!! Can you tell me about the Wheels and Tires Size etc and what have you got on the vehicle for your exhaust ? I also have a 75 that is pretty much totally origonal. I still have the origonal exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe, from there back I have played around with some muffler and resonator bits and pieces as they have worn out and need some kind of replacement. I was at the Toronto International Auto Show last week and met a nice guy running his own Replacement/Cusom Exhaust Display. When I told him what my car was he got real enthusiastic about what he would do for me when I brought the vehicle to him to access. I have owned the vehicle since it was new and have dreamt about what kind of sound I would like to have; that said I haven't heard an exhaust note on a 4 cylinder TR7 that really turned me on. But the car is so loud that I have to do something.
Thanks Posi

SpitnSawdust Avatar
SpitnSawdust Silver Member Richard Simpson
Lewes, east sussex, UK   GBR
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Little Blue"
Your thread has just made me very happy. Reckon you can do a wheelie in a tr7?'

parrisw William P
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
Nice project. I'm doing something similar. Couldn't find an LS locally, so picked up a 5.3 for now, and still on the hunt for an LS1 short block to swap in.

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
I researched the crap out of what was the best way to go about it. In the end, the most cost effective bang for my buck was to buy a salvage Camaro. Mine has 11097 miles, comes with 426hp stock, and a Tremec T6060 rated for 600 ft/#. It has had work done to it. It also has stainless headers and a stainless 3" exhaust which I might be able to adapt to the TR. By the time I sell off the spares from the Camaro, I'll be into it for around $5K or about what a basic rebuilt 4.6 Rover with cam, headers would cost. I would like to adapt the Camaro Brembos to the wedge, but those things are just ridiculously huge. I'll probably sell those too and just use the 6 piston Wilwoods with 12.19" X1" vented rotors front and Wilwood 4 piston 11.75X.81 in the rears. That way I can still go with 16" rims.

parrisw William P
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1361837 by TR8todd I researched the crap out of what was the best way to go about it. In the end, the most cost effective bang for my buck was to buy a salvage Camaro. Mine has 11097 miles, comes with 426hp stock, and a Tremec T6060 rated for 600 ft/#. It has had work done to it. It also has stainless headers and a stainless 3" exhaust which I might be able to adapt to the TR. By the time I sell off the spares from the Camaro, I'll be into it for around $5K or about what a basic rebuilt 4.6 Rover with cam, headers would cost. I would like to adapt the Camaro Brembos to the wedge, but those things are just ridiculously huge. I'll probably sell those too and just use the 6 piston Wilwoods with 12.19" X1" vented rotors front and Wilwood 4 piston 11.75X.81 in the rears. That way I can still go with 16" rims.

Mine is a 5.3 and a t56 out of a 2001 camaro, got a LS6 intake, custom cam ect many more goodies. I'm getting close. Running Megasquirt 3 Pro, will have traction control ect, will be needed with 400 hp.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    78.7 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    55.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
image.jpeg    54.9 KB
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
I'm not close, but the weather is breaking. If it wasn't raining today, I'd be out there working on it. Instead I'm rebuilding a 3.45 rear end for the rally fraud. I want the 3.08 thats in there, so the car sells with the 3.45.

Attachments:
DSC04052.JPG    59.7 KB
DSC04052.JPG

DSC04053.JPG    56.4 KB
DSC04056.JPG    56.7 KB
DSC04055.JPG    45.6 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph GT6 MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links