Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Skip, that dumps my theory that later years went to the red triangle. Now makes me think that Triumph had a bin of switches, some white some red and on the dash assembly team the worker reached into the bin and grabbed a switch and it didn't matter what color it was. OR maybe Triumph ran out of white ink and a worker saw a can of red ink so he dumped that in the printer.drinking smiley The union did strange things in those days. The 69 TR6's had this switch, wonder what color those were? Interestingly my 70 GT6 has the red triangle but with the 6 terminals and arched cover. Doesn't really matter in the end, more important things to do on my TR. For now I just need to get this switch project taken to the end---good or bad-- so I can move on to my next project. The working part of the switch I've got covered, just need to make the rocker cover look as best I can. I'm using 3D printing technology which isn't perfect, ideally this cover part should be injection molded but I don't want to attempt that. There is a small demand (I think) for this switch so I have to use the equipment I have to work it out. Moss does have the switch but for a price that is above my pay grade for a simple switch but likely had to purchase a significant number of them to get to what ever price point they felt could work. I've made one complete switch for myself at this point but it's not quite good enough yet. It would pass the 2 FT eyeball test but not the close up inspection of a clean triangle. If I can get this good, I may be able to sell a few and cover my materials. Couldn't ever expect to cover my time I've put in on this or the other parts I've made or designed. I do it more to help out the TR and GT community if I can.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Quick update on the switch. I've reduced the size of the hazard triangle, it's now the size of my OEM triangle that is on my old switch.. My first prototype was too large. Now I'm working on improving the surface finish. Switch function is good. Revision 4 is on the right on a new body. Getting closer. The switch in the center is the larger prototype but on my old switch body. Rev 5 or 6 and I may get it close to being good. Should have another update next week.

Attachments:
TR250 hazard sw REV 4.JPG    43.6 KB
TR250 hazard sw REV 4.JPG

BobTR Robert Suchy
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
Brian, yes the hazard switch on my 250 has a flat face and has 4 terminals, and a red triangle. I'd like to have a replacement with a red triangle. I'm wondering if Triumph possibly had started converting from switches with the white triangle over to switches with the red triangle and used whatever parts they had in stock at the time of the build. I've attached a picture of mine. Sorry for the fuzziness of the picture, my camera doesn't take good close ups.
Bob
p.s. Brian, sorry I did not see your earlier post about Triumph having mixed stock of triangle colors, before I posted my comment about that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-31 10:12 AM by BobTR.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_6764.JPG    26.3 KB
IMG_6764.JPG

BobTR Robert Suchy
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
Brian, I like the new smaller triangle. The new triangle appears to be the same size as the one on my switch.
Bob

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Bob, I sort have anticipated the possibility of white or red. Actually my OEM switch has the red (faded a bit) triangle. I have a fairly early TR250. I guess either way can be correct. I plan on making a red and a white. Be interesting to see how they come out.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Update on the hazard switch progress, Here is Revision #5. I'm making progress. Hard to take a good picture without reflections but here is where I am at this point. I hope to have my last and final Revision by middle of next week. I've got one more thing to try. It's passing the 1 foot test now but I'd like to improve it a bit more. Then I'll set it up with test power and light and cycle the switch on and off for a couple hundred times. This may all work after so I may have a hazard switch that should work for another 50 years.

Attachments:
TR 250 hazard sw REV5-1.JPG    19 KB
TR 250 hazard sw REV5-1.JPG

TR250 hazard sw REV5-2.JPG    18.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Aphyle2012 Avatar
Aphyle2012 Silver Member Eric Pyle
Shenandoah Valley, VA, USA   USA
Please remind me what printer you are using, and settings (print rate, level thickness, etc.) I'd love to give this a crack on my printer. I had a delay on the fan project, waiting for filament. Have a bunch more, and will be trying PETG, and have a bit of TPE now for the fan.

I'm wondering if you can print it with the triangle a bit deeper, and then sand & polish down to a 6" level. There was an issue of MAKE magazine that summarized techniques for cleaning up prints. I'll see if I can find it in the stack.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Eric, I'm using a Creality CR10. Settings from machine to machine vary a lot so I would suggest for fine detail slow your machine down, experiment with heat settings, even orientation of the part on your glass table makes a significant change in quality.
There are several post processing methods to experiment with. However, if you are making something just for yourself, post processing doesn't matter much (time wise). You can sand, then apply a filler, then sand more until you have an item you are happy with and then paint. But with all that you are taking away any cost advantage. I'm trying to avoid post processing or limit it to a few minutes. In this case the switch needs to be cosmetically acceptable since the switch is staring me in the face. I've spent a lot of time, so far have printed 8 of these and hopefully this week will have one that I'll be happy with and I may make a few of these available to some 250 enthusiasts with the understanding that 3D printing is not as clean/perfect as injection molding. This switch will be as close to OEM as my abilities allow, if someone wants to pay the (to me) high price for this switch that is available from one of the major suppliers then that's OK. If I can get this "very close" to OEM I'll be happy and if I decide to sell a few I think I can do it for a fraction of the price. If not then I'll once again have a nice working switch for myself in my 250 that most won't be able to tell the difference between mine or an original. After this final version this week, it will have to be good or not, I've got other projects to move on to for my TR250 and GT6.

Part of the fun is designing the parts on CAD. I did that for 20 years prior to retiring so it's sort of fun to get back into that aspect of the process.

PETG is good to work with. Try NinjaFlex for your rubber parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-08 08:10 AM by Bpt70gt.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
So here we are, very close now. One more operation to perform and I think I'll be happy. Two new switches. Revision 6

Attachments:
TR250 HAZARD SWITCH rev. 6 2-7-18.JPG    38.1 KB
TR250 HAZARD SWITCH rev. 6 2-7-18.JPG

skip250 Skip Gould
FORESTVILLE, NY, USA   USA
Wow! Nice work Brian! Please put me on your customer list. PM me with a price.

Doc250 Avatar
Doc250 Chris Holliday
Honeoye Falls, NY, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Little Red One"
1975 Triumph TR6 "Lbc II"
It always amazes me the creativity and dedication we all have for our Triumphs especially us 250 owners. Put me down for a pair please Brian. One red one white.

I'm also thinking of adding just the rear electrical part as my original cover (red) is ok but switch doesn't work. I've shied away from playing with it for fear of breaking it. I saw what happened to Skips car in Niagara Falls not that he was playing with it!

On the red vs white, any chance it was export vs stay at home cars? I think that was the case with the yellow vs red tail lights.

Anyway, put me down for two please. hot smiley

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Chris, every book resource I have say the TR250 was only shipped to the export market. The TR5 stayed in GB for the home market and there were only 1161 that stayed in England and 1786 for export which I think was parts of Europe and Canada.

We may never know why there was a mix of triangle covers. Seems to be no clear CD number where the practice started. My car (red triangle) is fairly early but some are red towards the end of the run also.
Really doesn't matter, to me anyway.

Attached is a picture of my original hazard switch cover as I took it out of my car (faded red triangle) and then a picture of the same switch cover after I "fixed" it.

Tomorrow I should have the final results of this hazard switch experiment. This project has taken too much time.

Attachments:
TR250 hazard sw my original 2-8-18.JPG    39 KB
TR250 hazard sw my original 2-8-18.JPG

TR250 hazard sw original-face repaired.JPG    39.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Britnut Avatar
Britnut Randy DeRuiter
Nacogdoches, TX, USA   USA
Great stuff - I'd like to be on that customer list also. Have an early 6 which is in need of just that item.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Randy, are you saying you have a good working switch but just need to dress up the face? That's what my last picture was illustrating. Same rocker cover, just a new mask. Was your switch red or white, just curious. My other efforts have been a totally new switch. Still trying to nail that effort down.

Britnut Avatar
Britnut Randy DeRuiter
Nacogdoches, TX, USA   USA
Brian-

I think a new switch would be best for me, but actually I do have a functional switch that an overlay like you did would really spruce it up - I'm just not sure how long that old switch will function, I was worried the main body would be brittle at this point in its life. If you are selling overlays, let me know as I'd be interested in trying one out.

Randy

In reply to # 1512344 by Bpt70gt Randy, are you saying you have a good working switch but just need to dress up the face? That's what my last picture was illustrating. Same rocker cover, just a new mask. Was your switch red or white, just curious. My other efforts have been a totally new switch. Still trying to nail that effort down.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Triumph GT6 MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links