AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ZS Carb heat shields
  This topic is about my 1968 Triumph TR250
Stampy Avatar
Stampy Silver Member Scott Stamp
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
Have many of you ever used these?

It is scorching hot around the manifold. Kinda makes sense to disburse some of that heat.

I'm just wondering if once that shield gets heat soaked it is hot in there no matter what you do.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Brian Oklahoma Brian Plotkin
Edmond, 73012, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Kevin"
I have not used them. However, the shield reflects heat away from the carbs. It does that even after the shield itself gets hot. They are useful if you have a heat problem, like if you have added headers onto the exhaust manifold, or live in a high temp climate. You shouldn't need them in BC.

BobTR Robert Suchy
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
I have the carb heat shield on my TR250. I live in North Carolina and it gets very hot here. I also bought some self-sticking heat shield material off the web and put two layers of that on the back of the heat shield toward the manifold. That added material seems to reflect the heat very well away from the metal heat shield. The shield seems to work well on my 250.
Bob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BobTR Robert Suchy
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
By the way, I also have an electric fan on my 250 that is controlled by the sensor in the top of the radiator, and I also have an over-ride switch so I can turn on the fan, before the sensor does, when I feel it is starting to get hotter than I want. That also helps to keep the air moving through the manifold heat shield.
Bob

StagByTriumph Avatar
StagByTriumph Glenn Merrell
Lafayette, CO, USA   USA
Bought mine from Joe Alexander at Alexander Racign Enterprises

They have the best prices.

http://www.the-vintage-racer.com/index.php/product/special

I did however, have to do a slight modification for the breather hose in the stock air cleaner which is typical of any of the suppliers.

Cheers!

Glenn Merrell, a.k.a. StagByTriumph / Garage
1968 TRG TR250; 1973 Mimosa Triumph Stag; 2000 XJ8; 2001 XJ8
"The BEST Trophies are: Miles on the Odometer; Stone Chips in the paint; Dead Bugs on the Windscreen (and the occasional smell of manure!)" an S by T Original quote!

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
It's interesting that they say removal of the carbs is not necessary. How does the shield prevent heat from the exhaust getting to the carbs, if the shield is mounted on the air cleaner side? (as it appears in the picture)

StagByTriumph Avatar
StagByTriumph Glenn Merrell
Lafayette, CO, USA   USA
It bolts between the carburetor intake and the air cleaner. Form of bends is it travels down, bends 90 degrees back toward the engine, past the underside of the carburetors, then bends up 90 degrees between the carbs and intake manifold without touching anything toward the engine. Even keeps the fuel line out of the exhaust heat.

Seems to work well on my TR250

Looks like this ...

Glenn Merrell, a.k.a. StagByTriumph / Garage
1968 TRG TR250; 1973 Mimosa Triumph Stag; 2000 XJ8; 2001 XJ8
"The BEST Trophies are: Miles on the Odometer; Stone Chips in the paint; Dead Bugs on the Windscreen (and the occasional smell of manure!)" an S by T Original quote!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 07:09 PM by StagByTriumph.

Attachments:
TR6HeatShield-500x500.jpg    29 KB
TR6HeatShield-500x500.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links