AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Unusual Relay or Switch
  This topic is about my 1968 Triumph TR250
TR5-2085 Jim Fitzpatrick
Allen, Texas, USA   USA
I'm slowly getting my TR250 back up and running I'd welcome any suggestions about, what appears to be, a relay. It has 3 terminals, it was mounted above the hazard relay, and it was disconnected from any vehicle wiring.

distinguishing marks - it has markings on the side and near the 3 terminals -
side markings - T B P
Connection face TR BATT PUL(?)

Attached are a few images - all suggestions appreciated.

Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1210.JPG    48.9 KB
IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG    43.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1217.JPG    42 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Jim, that is likely the overdrive relay. I don't have one on my TR since it doesn't have an overdrive but looking at the manual, that's where the overdrive relay would reside.

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
While I don’t have a picture to prove it, that’s surely aftermarket.

I have a 250 with overdrive that I took apart. It has the standard relay mounted above the horn relay(I believe) on the left inner wing just in front of the wiper motor

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR5-2085 Jim Fitzpatrick
Allen, Texas, USA   USA
You're right, the relay was mounted where I'd expect to find an overdrive relay but it looks aftermarket and there's no evidence of an OD having been fitted, (gearbox is regular 4 speed, there's no OD switch on the steering column). So it's a relay that likely controlled some other aftermarket piece of equipment, but what? And there's no evidence of an aftermarket AC having been fitted...

It would be interesting to find out what it controlled and I suspect someone's seen a similar, 3 terminal, relay.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
It will probably remain a mystery.

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, Alabama, USA   USA
Some PO add on, not even a Britiish relay. Looks to be an even older than the car relay. Maybe for aftermarket horn.
Marv

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster