AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR250 tail lights
  This topic is about my 1968 Triumph TR250
dgetr250 Don Evans
Berea, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Gigi"
I am re-chroming the tail light bezels, the holder of the turn signal and brake / tail light sockets. My problem is, how do I remove the electrical sockets from the bezel castings prior to chroming? They appear to be a press fit, not designed for easy removal. My guess is I have to pry up a half-dozen little metal flaps that secure the sockets into their receptacles and then hope everything comes away. Failing clean removal, has anyone had success replacing all the electricals in those assemblies with LED's?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tirnipgreen Avatar
tirnipgreen Ryals Cheek
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "YIN"
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
As far as I know, you just pull them out. They may be tight, but they will come out...Ryals

dgetr250 Don Evans
Berea, Ohio, USA   USA
They definitely will not pull out. But I did unearth an old casting I had and I did pry up those eight little flaps that hold the bulb socket within a small reflector bowl, and once the socket came loose, the socket and the reflector bowl came away from the casting. I hope when I go to reassemble everything I can press those little flaps back into place. Who knows, maybe the re-chroming cost is so close to the price of new assemblies that I'll just replace the originals. That will be about $360.00.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, Alabama, USA   USA
Ask your chromer, I would think you can just remove wiring and leave sockets in place. I believe chromer can seal socket off while chroming process takes place.
Marv

dgetr250 Don Evans
Berea, Ohio, USA   USA
I did peel back the rubber sleeve that seals the wiring as it leads to the socket. At that point I could push the electrical contact out through the front of that socket and there was nothing left but metal. And that means maybe the whole assembly could get dunked in the plating process. That said, the chromer's estimate per lamp assy. was $140.00, and I could buy an entire new one, with gaskets and red and amber lenses and mounting screws for $179.00. So look for my old ones at the next swap meet. I do thank everyone on the Forum for your quick responses, especially in light of the fact that today was the last day for sale prices at The Roadster Factory on these and other chromed components.

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500209 by dgetr250 I did peel back the rubber sleeve that seals the wiring as it leads to the socket. At that point I could push the electrical contact out through the front of that socket and there was nothing left but metal. And that means maybe the whole assembly could get dunked in the plating process. That said, the chromer's estimate per lamp assy. was $140.00, and I could buy an entire new one, with gaskets and red and amber lenses and mounting screws for $179.00. So look for my old ones at the next swap meet. I do thank everyone on the Forum for your quick responses, especially in light of the fact that today was the last day for sale prices at The Roadster Factory on these and other chromed components.

Yes you can buy new for around the same money, but it’s china chrome on new...unless you’re talking NOS

Just sayin

YankeeTR5 Dan M
Seattle, washington, USA   USA
You might also be surprised at the fit. I know on the TR4a/TR250 front fender sidelights the repros done in Germany out of brass are as much as 5mm out of alignment - now, they do follow a curve on the fender so tricky, but not useable as there is a huge gap. So, unless you're getting NOS for 179, I'd really consider going w/rechroming.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster