AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

moneytime Avatar
moneytime Milt Patnor
denver, colorado, USA   USA
1972 Triumph TR6 "Old Nellie"
Hello, I can't figure out what the problem may be or how to fix this situation. When I just put my TR6 in gear and go forward or in reverse a clunking noise happens and after I continue on my way there are no problems at all, no noise shifting or braking from then on. I read that it might be the universal joints, bearing or some rear end loose part, maybe a shock not sure, The noise is on the passenger rear side and doesn't do it after the initial movement of the car? If you guys have more ideas please let me know. I will have it towed in and put on a lift to check it out.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
davem Avatar
davem dave m
victoria bc, vancouver island, Canada   CAN
could be the u-joint or the bushings on the diff on pass side
- have you got it sorted yet?
-stuff like that is hard to find if you are not under there poking around

moneytime Avatar
moneytime Milt Patnor
I am taking the TR6 in for inspection on a lift, it is hard to see anything while down on the ground. This binding up also happens without the car in gear or running so it might be the U joints bushings or they might have slipped out of position if that is possible? Thanks for responding, I will keep you updated or pass on the solution to the group.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
You talk of a clunking noise AND a binding up, please explain the binding up! Do you feel resistance?

What if you jack a rear wheel and rotate the wheel back and forth?

I'm thinking it could just be a UJ or a broken diff mount or Diff thrust washers among other things.

moneytime Avatar
moneytime Milt Patnor
Hi, I jacked the rear end near the passenger rear tire, it doesn't turn I don't know if the car is an independent rear suspension or not? I had it out of gear and emergency brake was off. Any ideas?

Reddragon Avatar
Reddragon Dale M
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Road Runner"
1974 Triumph TR6 "Tweety"
Milt

Two things come to mind, 1) the brakes are frozen to the drum and 2) the hub is seized.

Try to remove the drum, don't forget to back the adjuster off on the back side of the backing plate. Sometimes a BBFH is needed to loosen the brake drum. Once that is off and you still can't turn the assembly then you know it is the hub or you are getting closer to the problem.

Red

vancouver, washington, USA   USA
Check out the front differential mount on the passenger side. Very common for these to break. Not real easy to see but can be repaired with diff removed. Check the archives for repair info.
Mike C

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster