Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MurphyTR3 Tom Murphy
Espyville, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
Assistance needed....
Parked my TR3a with a 250 transmission with overdrive, after a ride the other day and went to go for another spin the next day and it won't go in reverse it just stalls.
I can't even push the car in neutral.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Tom, can you shift into first gear without problems? Can you find any position that lets you find a neutral.

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
In reply to # 1486040 by MurphyTR3 Assistance needed....
Parked my TR3a with a 250 transmission with overdrive, after a ride the other day and went to go for another spin the next day and it won't go in reverse it just stalls.
I can't even push the car in neutral.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Won't go into reverse? I'm confused by that statement. If the overdrive is engaged, you don't want to go backwards...ever. You won't like the results

Can you get it into any gear or even neutral? If it'll go into reverse but won't go backwards...like the rear wheels are chocked, be sure not to push it.

Report back a little clearer what it's doing

Todd

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I took "won't go in reverse" to mean the car wouldn't move; which sounds very much like the OD is stuck in overdrive.

It's worth checking that the solenoid isn't getting power in reverse, and isn't stuck in the engaged position. But my guess is that the OD cone clutch is physically stuck. Try rapping on the steel brake ring (thin dark ring around the OD body) with a BFH. If that doesn't work, try taking a drive forward only to see if heat and vibration will free it up. You can use a floor jack to support the rear end while you push the car backwards if necessary (so the floor jack wheels roll instead of the car wheels).

If none of that works, probably the OD will have to come out.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

tlc phil Phil Law
Toronto, Ontario, Canada   CAN
So if I understand your problem correctly, you parked the car and changed gears after it was turned off. Now the car will not move and the shifter can not moving. If this is correct stop looking at the overdrive. The transmission is hung up in two gears and you will need to remove the shifter lever and use a large screwdriver to align all three shifter rod putting the transmission in neutral.

Good luck

Phil
Tr250 with overdrive up graded to Toyota 5 speed.

MurphyTR3 Tom Murphy
Just to add a little more information,

I can get the shifter into all gears, the car will go forward in first gear. In neutral it will roll forward but not in reverse.

I can get the shifter into the reverse position but when I try to go it just jumps a little and stalls.

Thanks in advance
Tom

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
Sounds like your overdrive might be engaged. Time to pull the tunnel cover and see if the solenoid arm is up all the time. Could be one of the switches on the top cover went bad?

Todd

tlc phil Phil Law
I agree with Todd. The overdrive is still engaged. You can access it solienod from underneath so no need to remove transmission cover. Possibly stuck solenoid or still electricically engage (bad relay or switch) or out of adjustment. When did you last change the transmission oil and clean the filter? I changed mine yearly and ran the same grade oil as in the engine. You might want to change the oil and clean the filter, then take it for a drive shiting it in and out of overdrive. You will need to use a floor jack and raise one of the rear wheels to roll it backwards.

Good Luck

Phil

MurphyTR3 Tom Murphy
Thanks for all the replies, the overdrive was stuck and I finally worked it out and took it for a spin last night.
Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions

GAJ Graham J
Carlisle, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Tom,

How did you "un-stick" it?

tlc phil Phil Law
Good news. What was the problem and how did you fix it. Just in case it happens to others.

Please share your success. Phil

MurphyTR3 Tom Murphy
Well thanks to the replies, we changed the tranny oil, cleaned the filter, put it up on jacks, ran it through the gears and tapped on the OD box and it loosened up and disengaged.
It runs like a charm again....thanks again for all of the assistance.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster