Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Richmond TR250 Avatar
Richmond TR250 Paul Barlow
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Summer has been a blast up here in the Pacific Northwest. Two months of no rain and lots of driving the 250 with no issues. However I was advised that my driver rear wheel wobbles. I don't feel it at any speed. I checked to see if tires were balanced and they were. I even swapped the rears around but still a wobble. Question is.. Bearings, Outer/inner? or is my sliding axle assembly starting to wear. I don't feel any slip in the U Joints etc. Comments/assistance

Thanks
Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TuRtle5 Avatar
TuRtle5 Kevin Kelly
Absecon, NJ, USA   USA
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster "Coral Mistress"
1959 Triumph TR3A "Drandulet"
1962 Triumph Vitesse "Ohtoseethelightofday"
1968 Triumph TR250    & more
Hi Paul, If it's the wheel bearings you can pull in and out on the top of the tire and feel the play. If not certain, jack the car up and try it. With the car jacked up, spin the wheel and if the wheel is bent it will show. Sometimes you can get away with tightening the large nut on the inside of the wheel hub just a bit (after removing it). I've replaced bearings for many years but am now switching to Richard Good's rear hubs as I have heard of quite a number of broken hubs, some resulting in devastating crashes. They are pricey- about $700 for both, which is very high for me but I put them in my 250 as it's my long distance touring car. If you rebearing your hubs, be sure of what you are doing as they can be ruined by pressing them apart incorrectly (and machine shops can do it wrong as well).
Regards- Kevin

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
I concur with Kevin, jack the car up and pull and push and tilt, see what movement you get. Also check to make sure the (6) 5/16 nuts that hold the hub to the swing arm haven't come loose or the studs haven't pulled from the aluminum casting--that is fairly common.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
StagByTriumph Avatar
StagByTriumph Glenn Merrell
Lafayette, Colorado, USA   USA
Paul,
If you check the bearings and they are okay, it is very possible your wheel flange is bent.
That is if the wheel itself is not bent of course.
When axles are serviced for new bearings and not disassembled with a proper Churchill tool, sometimes the wheel flange gets bent.
Using a 20+ ton press to disassemble the rear hubs bends the hubs just about every time.

Glenn Merrell, a.k.a. StagByTriumph / Garage
1968 TRG TR250; 1973 Mimosa Triumph Stag; 2000 XJ8; 2001 XJ8
"The BEST Trophies are: Miles on the Odometer; Stone Chips in the paint; Dead Bugs on the Windscreen (and the occasional smell of manure!)" an SbT quote!

Richmond TR250 Avatar
Richmond TR250 Paul Barlow
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I finally got to looking at this and the wheel bearings are good and I can't see the flange being bent. I have not had the rear end apart since 2003 and all is solid. The challenge continues

Motorsport Micky Silver Member Michael Richards
Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, UK   GBR
If you got a wheel wobble just beware the hubs are not at lifes end, cos then this happens, these are 2 Stag hubs (identical to the TR4a - TR6) which get a very easy life in comparison to the TRs.

Both of these had been reconditioned (attacked with a 20 ton press no doubt) to split the taper, unfortunately it often stresses the stub axle or hub (this ones split complete !) both of them failed within a 15 month period (they were replaced with CV driveshafts with new hubs).

If they had been reconditioned using a Churchill or homemade Churchill lookalike hub splitter like this they may have lasted, however is there any surprise that a medium market sports car with budget hubs etc has hub failures at nearly 60 years old ? Ask BMW,Lexus, Mercedes would they expect their hubs to still be serviceable and safe after 50 years in the marketplace with no control over what customers do to it...ha.

Save your necks, put new hubs on your cars whatever drive shafts you use.

Attachments:
Stag Hub failure.jpg    54.9 KB
Stag Hub failure.jpg

Stag Hub failure 2.jpg    3.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1353.jpg    55.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
StagByTriumph Avatar
StagByTriumph Glenn Merrell
Lafayette, Colorado, USA   USA
Paul,

Note that you will not see a wobble or bearing failure unless you use a dial gauge mounted external from the car and put some force on the wheel while rotating it.

This is part of the inspection and setup when replacing the bearings and checking for end run-out of the crush bushing or bearing failure.

Cheers!

Glenn Merrell, a.k.a. StagByTriumph / Garage
1968 TRG TR250; 1973 Mimosa Triumph Stag; 2000 XJ8; 2001 XJ8
"The BEST Trophies are: Miles on the Odometer; Stone Chips in the paint; Dead Bugs on the Windscreen (and the occasional smell of manure!)" an SbT quote!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster