Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Looks like a nice top, and for that price he ought to throw in free shipping. I'd like to have it, but there are other things I want more, for nearly 6K. Doubt it will sell it for that price unless someone with deeeeeep pockets wants it and doesn't care what it costs. And he's in LA where a lot of Deep Pockets reside.
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Another surrey top surfaces!! That price is the highest I've ever seen. They must have deep pockets in that part of the country. I acquired one in as good a condition or even better, this past summer. Mine is royal blue, paint in excellent condition, aluminum mid section in excellent condition with a new headliner all installed, and the canvas surrey top and frame all in like new condition. About half the price. Still pricey but I'd been searching for 20 years and this one came up, didn't have to do a thing to it other than install it.

Brian Oklahoma Brian Plotkin
Edmond, 73012, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Kevin"
Looks great. Did you have to adjust your side windows any to fit snug?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
In my case the drivers side window fits against the surrey top weather stripping very nicely, I did have to adjust the passenger side window in just a bit. Fits good now.

hans48t Shannon McMullen
, , Canada   CAN
Hi

I got my original surrey top with aluminum top from england. I sourced it after many months and had it shipped to Canada.

Cheers,

S

Flatlander Avatar
Flatlander Gary Lien
Omaha, Nebraska, USA   USA
Shannon,

I got a quote from Rimmer Brothers for the surrey top and backlight for 1100 pounds. Shipping to Nebraska for 385 pounds, though not sure if this is entire cost as the quote sounded somewhat open ended. Are these numbers in line with what you paid? Any suggestions on shipping or directions I should give them prior to purchase?

Thanks,

Gary

hans48t Shannon McMullen
, , Canada   CAN
Gary,

i spent about 3500 CAD total for mine including customs, shipping.

Mine was an original with the metal top. I didn't get it from Rimmers or any company like that. I searched and bought it from a small dealer in the UK that had it listed. I heard conflicting reports of the fiberglas top although never really chased it to determine if it was of high quality.

It came wrapped professionally, arrived to my door without a problem.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Shannon

tirnipgreen Avatar
tirnipgreen Ryals Cheek
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "YIN"
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
Speaking of Surrey tops...I am installing new Roadster Factory seals on my hardtop panel. Anyone have any pics as to where exactly the seals (front and back) are supposed to be glued down...?

Thanks, Ryals

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Ryals, mine is packaged up in its special box now for the winter, but if no one else responds, i'll open it up and take some pictures. I like your fancy checkerboard paint scheme on yours!!

tirnipgreen Avatar
tirnipgreen Ryals Cheek
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "YIN"
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
The checkerboard car got sold 6 years ago. I did that car from the ground up and regretted selling it from day one...! I saw it for sale in Florida recently - $44,100.00...!!! Not sure he will ever get that for it, but I know , he paid nowhere near that when I sold it to him...! I would love to buy it back, but I will take the two I have recently acquired (Yin and Yang, see my pics) and still have $15k left to buy another one with...!

The front seal from Roadster Factory has two pair of holes that line up with the rivets for the captive nut cages, so I guess that is where it should go...but I never trust anything. I think it is the same seal for a TR4A - TR6 convertible top frame, but the funny thing is that it doesn's have the holes for the bolts that would need to go through to bolt the thing down in front...! The rea seal TRF sent may be the wrong one...I can't figure it out at all...!

Thanks for the help, Ryals

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
In reply to # 1501107 by tirnipgreen Speaking of Surrey tops...I am installing new Roadster Factory seals on my hardtop panel. Anyone have any pics as to where exactly the seals (front and back) are supposed to be glued down...?

Thanks, Ryals

Hope this helps

Attachments:
F1C1E8B4-4FDD-4942-AA6F-0EB689E92AA8.jpeg    46.6 KB
F1C1E8B4-4FDD-4942-AA6F-0EB689E92AA8.jpeg

A207BE33-83EF-4130-A06D-AF0FA2419C92.jpeg    57.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
A856C4AA-6549-4B82-A791-7F2981A8E47F.jpeg    65.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
A left hand drive and a right hand drive, which way are you going to go when you build up the new car? If you need more pictures other than Todd's, let me know.

tirnipgreen Avatar
tirnipgreen Ryals Cheek
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "YIN"
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
OK...I think TRF has the rear seal all wrong. They sent a seal that looks like it should slip over a metal edge like Furflex except it is made of very hard rubber with the metal u-shaped inner structure. It actually looks like a hard rubber trunk seal with metal inner structure. Hmmmm.... Come on Charles, throw me a bone...! I think it ought to be a basic foam rubber flat seal that sits flat on the top of the backlight frame and is glued to the underside of the hardtop panel like in pics Todd sent...no? On the front, I am just trying to figure out how far back from the front edge of the top should the rubber seal be glued...Thanks for all the help, Ryals

StagByTriumph Avatar
StagByTriumph Glenn Merrell
Lafayette, Colorado, USA   USA
In reply to # 1499366 by Flatlander Came across this ad for a surrey top:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/triumph-tr4-tr250-surrey-top/6395323597.html

Is this the going rate for an original? Sure hope not!

It seems a bit high to me.

I could fly to the UK this February 2018, attend MG/Triumph Spares day at Stoneleigh, collect all the bits for a complete original Surrey setup with both Hard and soft tops, visit with JonMac and family for a week, return with all the parts carefully packaged as over-sized baggage in a hard case with maybe a few more parts and still have 1/2 of that cost left over.

Sounds like that might be a plan ...

Glenn Merrell, a.k.a. StagByTriumph / Garage
1968 TRG TR250; 1973 Mimosa Triumph Stag; 2000 XJ8; 2001 XJ8
"The BEST Trophies are: Miles on the Odometer; Stone Chips in the paint; Dead Bugs on the Windscreen (and the occasional smell of manure!)" an S by T Original quote!

tirnipgreen Avatar
tirnipgreen Ryals Cheek
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "YIN"
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
I just looked at that one on Craigs...

Is the backlight glass seal cut in two pieces...? Where's the chrome trim strip in the seal...? Where are the interior finishing panels...?
Where is the headliner...? The hardtop panel seals look funky. The hardtop panel has the bolts sticking out of it...no captive nuts...!
Where's the soft top...? Where's the soft top frame...?
The paint looks nice...

Just sayin'...Ryals

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster