AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Aphyle2012 Avatar
Aphyle2012 Silver Member Eric Pyle
Shenandoah Valley, VA, USA   USA
Kevin,

I have a brother-in-law in FL (also named Kevin) and a nephew (coincidentally named Kevin) with whom I might make an arrangement for pick-up. PM me when you get a price. I have a 250 that would love this.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Speak of the devil, after 20 years of searching, as of today I now own an original aluminum surrey top, back light has original glass, the mid center section is aluminum, the foldable mid section is complete with canvas and frame. The color is dark blue just as my TR250 is and the headliner is white and very clean-almost like new. The mid canvas section is custom matching blue instead of black or white. Just sitting on the car it looks great. I'll be mounting it this week. Very nice condition. Just have to polish and wax and it's fine. I'll post pictures once it's on the car. It's been on a shelf at a shop for 2 years.

LGMTR6 Avatar
LGMTR6 Larry Miceli
Mount Dora, Florida, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1954 MG TF 1500
1958 Triumph TR3A
1967 MG MGB GT    & more
Brian,
Can I ask what the original set up goes for?
Thanks
Larry Miceli

Larry Miceli
Mount Dora, Florida

52 MG TD (restored)
54 MG TF 1500 (project)
56 Triumph TR3 (project)
67 MGB GT (restored)
68 MGC GT (nice driver)
68 Triumph TR 250 (nice driver)
71 Triumph Stag (driver)
73 Triumph Stag (project)
74 Triumph TR6 (restored)

I've just never really figured out the "sell one when you get another" part of it all...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
It popped up on ebay and it caught my eye for a few reasons. It was for a "fixed buy it now" price. This was just yesterday. It was the all aluminum backlight with the triplex glass, new rubber seals everywhere, aluminum mid section with new seals, also the complete canvas top and frame in excellent condition. NO dents or dings anywhere, like new headliner on the backlight and the mid section. The canvas top was also a dark blue as was the paint on the backlight and aluminum mid section. I just finished claying and buffing the mid section and it shines like new. Normally I'd just make note and watch to see how far the bidding would go and I've seen them top 4K for a lesser example or for sale at big shows. They don't show up like this very often and in many cases they are the fiberglass knockoffs. This one was far to good to not pay attention PLUS it was within 50 miles of my home so I could save the shipping costs. This one had been in storage for 2 years all boxed up and the place was tired of moving it around. I really didn't want to spend that much but my search criteria in my mind was Condition, Color, Location. I didn't want to have to rebuild one or have a fiberglass one. They are worth what someone is willing to pay as the saying goes. Just means less cash for my kids to inherit in 15 years or so. I didn't have to do a thing to it other than take my convertible top off, remove the wind breaker I just installed a month ago and bolt the surrey top on. There now that I've convinced myself that I've made the right move (for me) and the wife approved (The 250 is actually hers) maybe I can sleep better tonight than I did last night. The guy I bought if from even opened up his shop so I could pick it up today (Sunday).
Long story short----#3500.00 O-boy!! now let the criticism begin!! But remember-this one is as close to factory new as I've seen in many years and the color matches my (her) car.

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
In reply to # 1479539 by Bpt70gt It popped up on ebay and it caught my eye for a few reasons. It was for a "fixed buy it now" price. This was just yesterday. It was the all aluminum backlight with the triplex glass, new rubber seals everywhere, aluminum mid section with new seals, also the complete canvas top and frame in excellent condition. NO dents or dings anywhere, like new headliner on the backlight and the mid section. The canvas top was also a dark blue as was the paint on the backlight and aluminum mid section. I just finished claying and buffing the mid section and it shines like new. Normally I'd just make note and watch to see how far the bidding would go and I've seen them top 4K for a lesser example or for sale at big shows. They don't show up like this very often and in many cases they are the fiberglass knockoffs. This one was far to good to not pay attention PLUS it was within 50 miles of my home so I could save the shipping costs. This one had been in storage for 2 years all boxed up and the place was tired of moving it around. I really didn't want to spend that much but my search criteria in my mind was Condition, Color, Location. I didn't want to have to rebuild one or have a fiberglass one. They are worth what someone is willing to pay as the saying goes. Just means less cash for my kids to inherit in 15 years or so. I didn't have to do a thing to it other than take my convertible top off, remove the wind breaker I just installed a month ago and bolt the surrey top on. There now that I've convinced myself that I've made the right move (for me) and the wife approved (The 250 is actually hers) maybe I can sleep better tonight than I did last night. The guy I bought if from even opened up his shop so I could pick it up today (Sunday).
Long story short----#3500.00 O-boy!! now let the criticism begin!! But remember-this one is as close to factory new as I've seen in many years and the color matches my (her) car.

3500 that doesn't need paint cus it matches your car is a steal!

DavidCole Silver Member David Cole
KY, USA   USA
Congratulations Brian. Any criticism you receive is more likely jealousy. Enjoy. ...and don't forget the pics.

David

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Thanks David, it really is in excellent condition and I have always loved the look. The valve still working good for you?

KY, USA   USA
It is, thanks. I messed with my carbs again this afternoon and set the jets even higher (now at 0.060), trying to lean things out a bit more. The weather breaks midweek here and I hope to do a long drive Friday then read the plugs.

David

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
In reply to # 1479550 by DavidCole It is, thanks. I messed with my carbs again this afternoon and set the jets even higher (now at 0.060), trying to lean things out a bit more. The weather breaks midweek here and I hope to do a long drive Friday then read the plugs.

David

You know you could drive w us on Sundaywinking smiley

LGMTR6 Avatar
LGMTR6 Larry Miceli
Mount Dora, Florida, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1954 MG TF 1500
1958 Triumph TR3A
1967 MG MGB GT    & more
Brian,
Congratulations! Actually, that seems to be a fair price for a complete original set up. I missed the auction because my brother is in the hospital. Otherwise, I might have jumped on it too!
Good luck with it. My search continues!

Larry Miceli
Mount Dora, Florida

52 MG TD (restored)
54 MG TF 1500 (project)
56 Triumph TR3 (project)
67 MGB GT (restored)
68 MGC GT (nice driver)
68 Triumph TR 250 (nice driver)
71 Triumph Stag (driver)
73 Triumph Stag (project)
74 Triumph TR6 (restored)

I've just never really figured out the "sell one when you get another" part of it all...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-20 08:33 PM by LGMTR6.

KY, USA   USA
Todd,

You are a fun bunch of guys and I would do well to get more involved. Point taken but I'm on the schedule to usher this month. Your drive was a morning departure, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-20 08:32 PM by DavidCole.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Mines been running so sweet this summer. Haven't had to touch the engine this year. I did rewire the horns with a relay. Got tired of chasing grounds and intermittent horns. I'll take some pictures of the surrey, hopefully by the end of tomorrow.

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
In reply to # 1479556 by DavidCole Todd,

You are a fun bunch of guys and I would do well to get more involved. Point taken but I'm on the schedule to usher this month. Your drive was a morning departure, right?

4pm...

KY, USA   USA
Todd, sending PM.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
It took a full day but I got the Surrey Top all mounted today. Here are some pictures of the three configurations. You can see there is a slight color difference from my car color but I have plans on repainting the entire car next year so I'll do the top at that time. No big issues, just normal fitting and adjusting. With the mid section hard top on it's really pretty snug inside. The glass of the door really seals good against the weather strips. We'll see how it does when the weather turns cool.

Attachments:
TR SURREY TOP -2 8-21-17.JPG    78.1 KB
TR SURREY TOP -2 8-21-17.JPG

TR SURREY TOP-10 8-21-17.JPG    74.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TR SURREY TOP-7 8-21-17.JPG    80.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Triumph Spitfire 4 MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links