Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sixtynine Avatar
sixtynine mitch somethingorother
las vegas, nv, USA   USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
StagByTriumph Avatar
StagByTriumph Glenn Merrell
Lafayette, Colorado, USA   USA
I got a note from TRF's Albert Runyan and he says :

We have rear glass available already, 902343. We get them out of the UK, they seem to fit well. $449.97. TRF looks to have a lot of the mounting hardware listed too, but not knowing if it is actually in stock is the next step.

Coupled with the Aluminum frame reproduction from Revival fabrications, and the OE specification glass being available from the UK, I think the next step is to marry the two pieces together with mounting hardware and glazing gaskets. TRF has the glass in stock probably cheaper than sending from the UK, so only the lightweight Surrey Frame properly boxed for trans Atlantic shipping is the issue.

Seems plausible to me ... but I will also guess some of the Bright-work trim bits might be made of Unobtanium unless someone has done a reproduction of those too.

Another option of course is to go to Stoneleigh 2018 MG/Triumph Spares day next February and collect a complete setup and ship it back on the airplane.

Glenn Merrell, a.k.a. StagByTriumph / Garage
1968 TRG TR250; 1973 Mimosa Triumph Stag; 2000 XJ8; 2001 XJ8
"The BEST Trophies are: Miles on the Odometer; Stone Chips in the paint; Dead Bugs on the Windscreen (and the occasional smell of manure!)" an SbT quote!

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Excellent research Mitch. Looking at the link, most all the dates are back in 2014. Now wondering if there has been any update on production. I didn't find any information on prices back then. With the rubber components and glass all available, the small hardware is a piece of cake to make up. Seems there may be enough folks on this forum to produce enough to make a production run viable. Too bad Charles couldn't take this by the horns and move it forward.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
I read the entire link provided previously and as of 2015 the frame project was deemed not practical to develop. Costs and quantities seem to be the reasons. Too bad.

Aphyle2012 Avatar
Aphyle2012 Silver Member Eric Pyle
Shenandoah Valley, VA, USA   USA
Curses! Foiled again!

Still, I wonder what quantities would be economic.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
In the forum there was talk about needing 30 but that sounded VERY low to me. There is the pattern, reverse engineering, tooling, some machining etc. to do. They even discussed CNC machining them from a billet but that would be very wasteful and expensive. I was 30 years in the manufacturing world before I retired and we had all sorts of castings produced for us. Some small some the size of a truck. They are very expensive and the smaller parts required hundreds to be ordered at a time. It takes a lot of financial horsepower, time and effort to bring a product like this to market. They even talked about getting someone in the east (Taiwan) involved but in the end decided to drop the effort. The last posts on the subject was in 2015. The one shown on the website was fabricated from sheet aluminum with an original being used as the "buck" (form) and was too labor intensive to manufacture that way. There are more modern methods of producing castings nowadays but the up front money has to come from somewhere and how much are TR folks willing to pay?

Keep looking, I found mine after 20 years of hoping. Of course there are the Revington fiberglass ones.

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
I wonder if the original manufacturer of these is still around, or were they made in-house by Triumph? I have a fiberglass "Surrey", but would be interested in buying an aluminum one, if they could be re-manufactured to original specs.

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
So many companies associated with British Leyland went out of business and patterns and equipment was lost or destroyed. Very doubtful. Even the company I was involved in had train loads of patterns, they kept them so many years and then destroyed them. It was mentioned on that forum that the Backlight option was about 150 quid. They had to loose money on every one they sold.
When I bought my GT6 in England back in 1970, the overdrive option was less than a $200 option, kick myself now for not getting it.

Flatlander Avatar
Flatlander Gary Lien
Omaha, Nebraska, USA   USA
Does anyone have any knowledge about the surrey top replacement offered by Rimmer Brothers? Looks like top would be $1200-1500 but unsure about shipping as they won't quote a shipping price until end of transaction. Wanted to get additional info prior to going further in purchase process.

Thanks,

Gary

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Might be best to call them direct to get more information and make sure you are ordering everything you'll need to mount one. Hopefully someone on the forum can provide first hand knowledge. The crating and shipping may be a killer.
I bought my CV axles from them and got hit with an extra charge of $70 for customs handling (FED EX). These were small compared to a surrey top.

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
In reply to # 1485007 by Flatlander Does anyone have any knowledge about the surrey top replacement offered by Rimmer Brothers? Looks like top would be $1200-1500 but unsure about shipping as they won't quote a shipping price until end of transaction. Wanted to get additional info prior to going further in purchase process.

Thanks,

Gary

Might also want to get quotes from RevingtonTR

Aside from the shipping you may also get some mysterious charge from UPS which you have to pay prior to receiving the item

Some shippers collect it and some don't. I think Rimmer may use FedEx in addition to Ups. FedEx may also hold your item for ransom

Some other vendors use smaller companies which don't charge you

Todd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-14 10:26 AM by gozto11.

LGMTR6 Avatar
LGMTR6 Larry Miceli
Mount Dora, Florida, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1954 MG TF 1500
1958 Triumph TR3A
1967 MG MGB GT    & more
Well, just to give hope to all of us looking for the holy grail (original aluminum surrey hardtop) a good friend just acquired a TR4 solid axel project car with original surrey top and A type OD for $1,500! Of course it's a complete basket case, but it's mostly all there down to the original rear glass window... Where are these deals when I'm looking??? Hopefully I'll get some pictures to post.

Larry Miceli
Mount Dora, Florida

52 MG TD (restored)
54 MG TF 1500 (project)
56 Triumph TR3 (project)
67 MGB GT (restored)
68 MGC GT (nice driver)
68 Triumph TR 250 (nice driver)
71 Triumph Stag (driver)
73 Triumph Stag (project)
74 Triumph TR6 (restored)

I've just never really figured out the "sell one when you get another" part of it all...

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
In reply to # 1491089 by LGMTR6 Well, just to give hope to all of us looking for the holy grail (original aluminum surrey hardtop) a good friend just acquired a TR4 solid axel project car with original surrey top and A type OD for $1,500! Of course it's a complete basket case, but it's mostly all there down to the original rear glass window... Where are these deals when I'm looking??? Hopefully I'll get some pictures to post.

Look harder Larry

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
It is amazing how these surrey tops keep popping up every so often. There is still hope.

Flatlander Avatar
Flatlander Gary Lien
Omaha, Nebraska, USA   USA
Came across this ad for a surrey top:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/triumph-tr4-tr250-surrey-top/6395323597.html

Is this the going rate for an original? Sure hope not!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster