Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

spinnerdale Dale Harrison
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
Looking for surrey top complete or Parrish top to fit 250

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Hi Dale,
Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find the line of TR enthusiasts looking for a Surrey to be a long one. I've had my eyes open for an original aluminum one for years. The aftermarket fiberglass "Surrey" tops are still around somewhere. I'm sure you'll get answers from other members. Good luck
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
You and me and probably many other 250 owners would like to find one. Pretty rare but also expensive when you do find one. Revington in the UK sells a fiberglass one too.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
I think Revington lists an aluminum roof panel. Big number, but they list it

MonAndrew77 Avatar
MonAndrew77 Andrew M
Northern, Virginia, USA   USA
I found an aluminum-roof surrey top that was being sold with a rough TR250 painted ORANGE!?!?! I ended up buying a different car but called them back a month later and they still had the 250. They were super nice guys and were willing to sell me the top separately. You might want to look for cars that have the top and try and buy the top. If the car is especially rough and you can maybe supply the seller with a new soft-top to spruce up his sale you might get lucky. If the car is rough enough , the seller may realize the top is one of the more valuable components of the car and he might want to maximize his sale. And of course, you could always buy a car and resell it, but I don't recommend this.... one thing I don't ever want to do in life is try and SELL a classic car. smiling smiley

I will tell you the Surrey Top is awesome, but by no means the end-all be-all of TR enjoyment. I love having it, of course and would never sell it. For open air motoring when you are running only the backlight (glass structure), it does really quiet down the ride (although I generally wear ear plugs anyways) but it also reduces the windflow and therefore the passenger cooling effectiveness on a hot day. And it tends to reduce the "wind in your hair 'freedom' experience" that comes with having "nothing" over your head, although you can't "see" the backlight generally from the drivers position (except in the rearview mirror, of course.) However, in the winter it's an awesome hard-top and in the transitional months the backlight is a great "targa-top" which in combination with the heater can really push your open air motoring into the cooler months. And of course if you have the soft-roof (this is the surrey top, officially speaking) you've got even more flexibility. And it was so appealing, a certain German sports car manufacturer liked the TR4 surrey top so much they copied the design for their "targa" top.

But if I didn't have it, my TR would still be just as fun and next Spring I'm going to remove the backlight for the summer months and use the regular soft top. We'll see how many seasons I'll want to deal with that hassle, and I haven't yet thought through how the rear-interior is going to be affected. Most folks who have a surrey top leave the backlight on permanently.

So, all this said, by all means, if you can get one, snag it. You would certainly never have a problem selling it because I know of few TR4/4A/250 guys who don't want one.......

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-27 09:22 AM by MonAndrew77.

Attachments:
IMG_2793.jpg    54.1 KB
IMG_2793.jpg

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
I've been looking for one many years also. Once in a while one comes up on Ebay. If it's an original aluminum one the price is crazy high. If it's an aftermarket one the price is just short of crazy. I'm always looking but pretty much resigned that I'll not find one at an affordable price for me. Until then, I do enjoy driving the 250 a lot with the top down. I do have a windblocker that I installed but it's just not the same as the backglass and the look its creates.
NIce looking car there Andrew.

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
In reply to # 1473767 by Bpt70gt I've been looking for one many years also. Once in a while one comes up on Ebay. If it's an original aluminum one the price is crazy high. If it's an aftermarket one the price is just short of crazy. I'm always looking but pretty much resigned that I'll not find one at an affordable price for me. Until then, I do enjoy driving the 250 a lot with the top down. I do have a windblocker that I installed but it's just not the same as the backglass and the look its creates.
NIce looking car there Andrew.

Keep looking they're out there. Sometimes you have to broaden your search to just Triumph or even Triump

Got this pig (scroll down) in January. $500 for the car. Overdrive too

http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?7,943907,page=11

Todd

MonAndrew77 Avatar
MonAndrew77 Andrew M
Here is some good detail on the surrey top. The same top fits the TR4, 4A, 5 and 250.

http://www.team.net/html/triumphs/2006-07/msg00262.html

MonAndrew77 Avatar
MonAndrew77 Andrew M
Todd,

I can't see the pic. What did you get for $500? smiling smiley

Andrew

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
In reply to # 1473815 by MonAndrew77 Todd,

I can't see the pic. What did you get for $500? smiling smiley

Andrew

Keep scrolling down, you'll see it.

I believe to be a 63 TR4 with overdrive and hardtop. It was on the West Memphis, Ar Craigslist late last year. No contact or address info in the ad. Only a pic of the car and a spot on the Craigslist map.

I used google earth to search the area up & down the streets. Took about 45 minutes to find the house across the street in the background of the picture. Friend called the business where the car was parked. We split the cost of the car. I got the car and roof for 250. Friend got the back window for 250

That was a great adventure

Kpgarage Avatar
Kpgarage Kevin O
Longwood, Florida, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Mingo"
Howdy, I have two spare tops. One complete with hardtop section. One just backlight with original glass. I have soft top portion for the second top. It is stripped and ready for paint. Frame and glass are perfect. If you're not just going to resell I would consider selling one. The complete top is red and white with original triplex glass. Would need to refinish and new seal as it is in great shape just old and tired paint and rubber. I'll have to research current prices. Thanks, Kevin O'Hara

Attachments:
20170806_145135.jpg    48.8 KB
20170806_145135.jpg

20170806_160536_HDR.jpg    37.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20170806_145254.jpg    30.4 KB
20170806_145329.jpg    52.4 KB
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Do your research Kevin and then let us know. More than likely you'll have to sell to a local 250 owner since shipping will be a costly deal. Someone within driving distance will jump at the chance to have one. I know I'd drive a couple hundred miles to get one, but I'm more than 1500 miles north. You'll sell one for sure.

StagByTriumph Avatar
StagByTriumph Glenn Merrell
Lafayette, Colorado, USA   USA
Hey Kevin,

PM me with the price for the second one needing finishing with the soft top. Does the soft top part one have the ribs?

Photos if you got em.

Thanks!

Glenn Merrell, a.k.a. StagByTriumph / Garage
1968 TRG TR250; 1973 Mimosa Triumph Stag; 2000 XJ8; 2001 XJ8
"The BEST Trophies are: Miles on the Odometer; Stone Chips in the paint; Dead Bugs on the Windscreen (and the occasional smell of manure!)" an S by T Original quote!

LGMTR6 Avatar
LGMTR6 Larry Miceli
Mount Dora, Florida, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1954 MG TF 1500
1958 Triumph TR3A
1967 MG MGB GT    & more
Hi Kevin,
I'd be interested as well. I'm up in Mount Dora, so very close to you.
Let me know if one is still available!
Thanks,
Larry Miceli
Mount Dora, Fl

Larry Miceli
Mount Dora, Florida

52 MG TD (restored)
54 MG TF 1500 (project)
56 Triumph TR3 (project)
67 MGB GT (restored)
68 MGC GT (nice driver)
68 Triumph TR 250 (nice driver)
71 Triumph Stag (driver)
73 Triumph Stag (project)
74 Triumph TR6 (restored)

I've just never really figured out the "sell one when you get another" part of it all...

Attachments:
IMG_0792.JPG    36.8 KB
IMG_0792.JPG

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Hi Kevin,
I'm still interested if you be able to ship it to Colorado.
Thanks,
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Triumph Spitfire 4 MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links