Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Stampy Avatar
Stampy Silver Member Scott Stamp
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
Anyone know where I can get one of these?
The chip in the detente just hapens to be where the timing needs to be set

Scott

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1401.JPG    33 KB
IMG_1401.JPG

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
That's not supposed to be an adjustment; set the timing by rotating the distributor body. The markings are leftover from a previous version without vacuum retard.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

mag0152 Marc Girardin
St-Bruno, Quebec, Canada   CAN

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Stampy Avatar
In reply to # 1472073 by TR3driver That's not supposed to be an adjustment; set the timing by rotating the distributor body. The markings are leftover from a previous version without vacuum retard.

I wondered about that as the housing is stamped with an <A R> and after some rough running one day i found the unit in the position you see in the photo. Once back in the dwtent it ran smoothly.

Also shoul the rear carb not have a plug in it where the vacuum port is meant to attach?

Attachments:
IMG_1391.JPG    46.8 KB
IMG_1391.JPG

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
If that hole is drilled through, then it needs to be plugged. Originally, I don't believe there was a hole there in the rear carb, but it might be a replacement body or repurposed front carb.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

TR250Guy Avatar
TR250Guy Tim Moore
Dayton, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "TRminator"
Actually that is an adjustment. Once you have the timing set you can use it to fine tune the timing. As you already noted if you turn the vacuum pot in the direction of A you advance the timing 2 degrees every half turn and towards the R you retard it.

1968 TR250 "TRminator"
Owned since 1980
Frame off rotisserie restoration completed in 11-2014 by myself and my brother

Stampy Avatar
In reply to # 1472283 by TR250Guy Actually that is an adjustment. Once you have the timing set you can use it to fine tune the timing. As you already noted if you turn the vacuum pot in the direction of A you advance the timing 2 degrees every half turn and towards the R you retard it.

Good to know.
So i can set the vacuum to be on the good side of the detente then adjust by turning the distributor as needed?

TR250Guy Avatar
TR250Guy Tim Moore
Dayton, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "TRminator"
I'm not sure exactly what you are saying. But you set the timing to factory specifications and you can then fine tune the timing for optimal performance by turning the vacuum pot.

1968 TR250 "TRminator"
Owned since 1980
Frame off rotisserie restoration completed in 11-2014 by myself and my brother

Stampy Avatar
In reply to # 1472972 by TR250Guy I'm not sure exactly what you are saying. But you set the timing to factory specifications and you can then fine tune the timing for optimal performance by turning the vacuum pot.

Lol. Niether am I sometimes.

But how you summed it up above is what I was driving at

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Triumph GT6 MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links