Beginning a TR250 Restoration

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

landarchguy John Armstrong
Dallas, texas, USA   USA
Hey Brad: I thought about this a lot and I came to the conclusion that repairing or replacing with another 250 or 6 frame was a better approach for the long term value of the car. So I found a frame in reasonable condition for my project and am going down that road. FYI, John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
racing1549 Avatar
racing1549 Brad Williams
Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA   USA
Does anyone know where I can get a good frame ..reanble. Brad

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, new york, USA   USA
every once and a while one shows up on Ebay or Craigs list you might want to consider having yours fixed if the body and suspension are off a good welding shop can fix it just saw a video on youtube that a shop in Penn.rebuilt one and it came out great something to consider

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
In reply to # 1492351 by racing1549 Does anyone know where I can get a good frame ..reanble. Brad

I recently brought home a 71 TR6....mostly for the body & driveline. The frame is pretty decent however it’s still under the car. I’ll see about getting pics. Some lovely PO welded what I can only assume to be a trailer hitch between the frame rails at the very back. Easily removable.

I’m in Cincinnati

Todd

Brian Oklahoma Brian Plotkin
Edmond, 73012, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Kevin"
If you want a driver, Ratco Frame's are excellent. I doubt you could have frame rails fabricated that would provide the structural integrity you need to over time. If your only choices are Ratco or build a frame, I'd go with Ratco. If you are trying for originality (for concours), the Ratco Frame won't pass muster. In that case, I'd be looking for a donor frame from a parts car. I'm wondering if the TR4A or TR6 frames are identical to a TR250 frame. Anyone know?

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
In reply to # 1492678 by Brian Oklahoma If you want a driver, Ratco Frame's are excellent. I doubt you could have frame rails fabricated that would provide the structural integrity you need to over time. If your only choices are Ratco or build a frame, I'd go with Ratco. If you are trying for originality (for concours), the Ratco Frame won't pass muster. In that case, I'd be looking for a donor frame from a parts car. I'm wondering if the TR4A or TR6 frames are identical to a TR250 frame. Anyone know?

In theory, no they’re not the same. The TR6 had some gussets added through the years, but for all intents and purposes, the 250 frame is the same from 69-72. The only appreciable difference after 72 was the tranny mount location. So with a bit of welding you can use the 73-76 TR6 frame

jplatel1 jacob P
Albany, NY, USA   USA
My frame was absolutely wrecked on my tr250. I was considering looking for a used one but they are all a bit of a gamble, especially here here in the north east. Even a frame with no obvious rust through can have thin spots or weak welds and bad dif mounts that you wont find until you blast and clean the frame. Taking all of this into consideration I went with a rat-co frame and opted for front and rear sway bar and shock in coil kit. I'm currently reassembling it. It looks and feels like a huge improvement to the original. An absolute work of art. It is expensive, but so is repairing all of the possible issues on a 50 year old original frame. Even after that you have to trust that you found all the issues. I like the peace of mind knowing I have solid bones under the car. I'm also not concerned about the value of the car on the show field because I will be too busy driving it and have no plans to resell any time soon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-19 12:42 PM by jplatel1.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links