Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

landarchguy John Armstrong
Dallas, texas, USA   USA
STARTING A TR250 RESTORATION
Guys, I am sure there are many of you out there that have been in the place that I am now facing. I have read the Triumph Experience for a while now and there seems to be a lot of knowledge I could tap out there so here goes. I am looking at my project and have the following general questions:
1. In looking at a pretty good frame, how do you know it is straight. Besides the obvious, is there information on frame dimensions that I can check?
2. Was the frame painted or undercoated from the factory? Is powdercoating an acceptable restoration process?
3. It appears the body tub was painted in its entirety the body color, inside and out. Is this correct? Was the body tub wheel wells and frame undercoated from the factory?
4. What is the thicker black paint on the rocker panel and bottom of the doors? Is this undercoating or something different? What product could I use to duplicate it?
5.On the steel wheels, what is the silver color they used to paint the front side? What was the backside of the wheel finished in?
6.What color or colors were used in the engine compartment? Engine Block color? Other colors used?
7.Was the convertible top frame painted black? Was it flat, satin or glossy?
8. If the vin tag is in really bad shape, can it be duplicated on a new tag and what is the proper procedure to do so?
9. Does anyone know where to source a new grille?
10. Did the 250 come with a plastic or other weather shield on the doors behind the door panel?
11. Did the 250 come with a cardboard shield around the radiator?
Well this is a good start. Looking at the general and focusing down to the specifics. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. If you think it is better to post in the TR4 or TR6 forums let me know. John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Ontario, Canada   CAN
Hi John,

I think I can answer most of your questions...here goes. Others will jump in if I'm wrong

1. As part of your restoration, you should have a few manuals for reference. Among these is the Bentley manual. This manual has full frame dimensions listed so you can run some measurement checks on your frame.
2. Frame was painted not under coated. Many people powdercoat as part of their restoration. There are pros and cons of both paint and powdercoat options.
3. There are areas on the body tub that didn't see body colour. You might find red oxide primer on the floor bottoms under the car and behind the splash guards on the inner fenders for example. Not sure if they were factory under coated but I have never owned a Triumph ( had 7) that didn't have it...
4. The rocker guard is called shutz. 3m makes it...there are other alternatives that can be used such as truck bed liner etc...
5. The colour is called Argent silver. Not sure if the backside was painted the same..I've always assumed they were. In the restorations I have done, I've done both the front and back...
6. Engine block always black. There were some items that were different colours...better to ask about specific items when you get that far.
7. Yes, the frame always black. I tend to go for satin/semi gloss...not sure if this was/is original.
8. Yes, you can buy a new Vin tag and have it stamped or buy a punch kit and do it yourself...I won't get into the legality of removing/replacing an original tag...
9. New grills as far as I know are not available for the 250...that's why you see some with a TR4A grill...good used ones catch a pretty good buck...
10. Yes, there was plastic behind the door panel.
11. No cardboard shield over top of the radiator...the 250 had two small panels at either side of the rad.

Good luck with you project.

Cheers
Tush

foots2 Lloyd Lightfoot
Buffalo, New York, USA   USA
Email me John at foots2@verizon.net, so i can notify you of when i will be selling my 250, and also when i will be selling various parts probably on EBAY.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
8. Yes you can buy a VIN plate...a '67 VIN plate which will look remarkably like the TR4/A plate. They don't currently sell the plate for '68. Some folks have had them reproduced.

In reply to # 1471231 by M. Pied Lourd Hi John,

I think I can answer most of your questions...here goes. Others will jump in if I'm wrong

1. As part of your restoration, you should have a few manuals for reference. Among these is the Bentley manual. This manual has full frame dimensions listed so you can run some measurement checks on your frame.
2. Frame was painted not under coated. Many people powdercoat as part of their restoration. There are pros and cons of both paint and powdercoat options.
3. There are areas on the body tub that didn't see body colour. You might find red oxide primer on the floor bottoms under the car and behind the splash guards on the inner fenders for example. Not sure if they were factory under coated but I have never owned a Triumph ( had 7) that didn't have it...
4. The rocker guard is called shutz. 3m makes it...there are other alternatives that can be used such as truck bed liner etc...
5. The colour is called Argent silver. Not sure if the backside was painted the same..I've always assumed they were. In the restorations I have done, I've done both the front and back...
6. Engine block always black. There were some items that were different colours...better to ask about specific items when you get that far.
7. Yes, the frame always black. I tend to go for satin/semi gloss...not sure if this was/is original.
8. Yes, you can buy a new Vin tag and have it stamped or buy a punch kit and do it yourself...I won't get into the legality of removing/replacing an original tag...
9. New grills as far as I know are not available for the 250...that's why you see some with a TR4A grill...good used ones catch a pretty good buck...
10. Yes, there was plastic behind the door panel.
11. No cardboard shield over top of the radiator...the 250 had two small panels at either side of the rad.

Good luck with you project.

Cheers
Tush

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Ontario, Canada   CAN
Yeah, I bought a couple of new plates from a gent who had accurate reproductions made for the 250 a few years ago now....I have them stashed away waiting for the day to come where I can actually use them....

Cheers
Tush

TR250Guy Avatar
TR250Guy Tim Moore
Dayton, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "TRminator"
Actually you can buy 68 TR250 Commission plates here. http://www.vin-plate.co.uk/standard_triumph_plates.html

1968 TR250 "TRminator"
Owned since 1980
Frame off rotisserie restoration completed in 11-2014 by myself and my brother

carpecursusII Drew H
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA   USA
For the picky ones around, the TR250 actually has three different designs of vin plate, depending on production date.

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, new york, USA   USA
For any of you guys want to watch some real great video go to Cheftush on youtube he is restoring his 250 inch by inch step by step

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Ontario, Canada   CAN
You should be my manager Ralph! cool smiley

Cheers
Tush

landarchguy John Armstrong
Dallas, texas, USA   USA
Thanks all for the responses to my questions in beginning my restoration project of a tr250. Any and all continued input is welcome. I am sure I will have a lot more questions. John

Carera John D
Tampa, CA, USA   USA
It depends on the type of truck bed liner you're using. Better to check the exterior truck accessories you'll be using as an alternative. By the way, any updates on your restoration?

StagByTriumph Avatar
StagByTriumph Glenn Merrell
Lafayette, Colorado, USA   USA
Looks like ChiefTush made it to August 1 and got sidetracked with other stuff.
Too bad, I would like to see more.
Fortunately it gave me pause to check all the areas he had issues with and I can say, rust free with solid metal in every spot !!

So with that, I suppose I can make the decision - one of these days to restore or not ... once I get the Stag off the lift .

Cheers!

Glenn Merrell, a.k.a. StagByTriumph / Garage
1968 TRG TR250; 1973 Mimosa Triumph Stag; 2000 XJ8; 2001 XJ8
"The BEST Trophies are: Miles on the Odometer; Stone Chips in the paint; Dead Bugs on the Windscreen (and the occasional smell of manure!)" an SbT quote!

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Ontario, Canada   CAN
Don't worry. I'll be back on the TR250 very soon. All the other TR's are now back in storage so I'm just getting the garage ready to resume working on it. I have a road trip this weekend planned to go pick up a GT6, but after that and all through the winter will be TR250 time spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Cheers
Tush

2long Dan M
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA   USA
On the commission plate, consider keeping the original in place, even if it is beat up a bit. To me, even if it's poor condition stands out a little against a fully restored car, I think the original plate with the original rivets is a nice touch.

Dan

racing1549 Avatar
racing1549 Brad Williams
Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA   USA
I am in the same boat as John. I have a 250 that has been in the family for 45+ years. I have the frame ready to drop out out the body and there is some pretty bad rust in the back rails. Should I just spend the money for the ratco frame or have some frame rails fabricated close to the originals. Brad

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster