Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

StagByTriumph Avatar
StagByTriumph Glenn Merrell
Lafayette, CO, USA   USA
I just stumbled across this Forum a few days ago, not sure why I did not know of it.

Here is my TR250, CD8138L !

All Original, completely rust free, numbers matching car. I am the 3rd owner, 2nd owner had it for 37 years in Wyoming.

BTW, anyone know of a guy in Saugerties NY who has/had a collection of Triumphs?
I sold him my totaled ( t-boned) TR250 in 1981 and would like to track it down to match up some Commission numbers to some old photos.

Cheers!

Glenn Merrell, a.k.a. StagByTriumph / Garage
1968 TRG TR250; 1973 Mimosa Triumph Stag; 2000 XJ8; 2001 XJ8
"The BEST Trophies are: Miles on the Odometer; Stone Chips in the paint; Dead Bugs on the Windscreen (and the occasional smell of manure!)" an S by T Original quote!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSCN0062.JPG    60.6 KB
DSCN0062.JPG

Rickh Rick Haumesser
Bartlett, TN, USA   USA
Very nice Glenn! You have one of the later ones it appears. If you recall the Vin# of the one you sold in NY you might post it here, or the six-pack forum. You might get lucky.

StagByTriumph Avatar
StagByTriumph Glenn Merrell
Lafayette, CO, USA   USA
Rick,
Thanks. This one is in very good original condition. I thought it was odd it does not have the front sway bar like the later ones got.

I always thought the later ones had front sway bars - my first one back in the 1970's did as stock.
I bought that first one in 1972 with less than 36k miles for $1600 from a Ford Dealership in Malvern PA - sales guy took it on trade and was good friends with my folks.

And I added a TR6 OD transmission to it and drove it as my daily driver until April 1981 when I got t-boned in Kingston NY. I had over 160k miles on it and was going to put a new frame under it.

Unfortunately I do not have the commission number for that TR250, I am sure I did not save any paperwork for it.

This latest TR250 still has the OE bumblebee hoses.

Cheers!

Glenn Merrell, a.k.a. StagByTriumph / Garage
1968 TRG TR250; 1973 Mimosa Triumph Stag; 2000 XJ8; 2001 XJ8
"The BEST Trophies are: Miles on the Odometer; Stone Chips in the paint; Dead Bugs on the Windscreen (and the occasional smell of manure!)" an S by T Original quote!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-15 06:46 PM by StagByTriumph.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Richmond TR250 Avatar
Richmond TR250 Paul Barlow
Richmond, BC, Canada   CAN
I've had my 250 for almost 20 years. Paid $8,000 for it back then and drove it home and used it for 6 years before I tore it apart and redid it. Now 14 years later it's still in the shape from 2003 after the restoration. I just drive it and if it breaks (not often) I fix it and drive it some more. Our club (BC Triumph Registry) has about 6 or 7 250 in it and 2 TR5's.
Paul

Attachments:
IMG_0119.JPG    69.1 KB
IMG_0119.JPG

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Beautiful TR250 Paul. I've had similar experiences. I've had my TR for 20 years now. Did a full restoration on it back then. It's been a very reliable car. I've put about 35k miles on it over those years. Now it just needs some paint refreshing and I'll do that next summer. Seems to be a fair amount of 250's on the west coasts. I just went to a decent car show with 202 British cars and there were only 2 TR250's there. Rarely see them out driving around.

Attachments:
TR SURREY TOP-6 8-21-17.JPG    69.3 KB
TR SURREY TOP-6 8-21-17.JPG

eprice Ed Price
Harrisonburg, VA, USA   USA
Brian,
I also have a TR 250 1968 that I have owned since 1975, have been working on car last year and half with friend to get it back on road after 8 years sitting in my garage. It is now road running and am working on different parts of car. Having issues with my carbs leaking gas. I do not check this site as much as I should, but do appreciate getting information from other owners. Did not realize the small number of 250's still out there.
I will check this site more often in future.
Ed

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Hi Ed, glad to see your getting your TR back on the road. Tons of knowledge on this forum to help you out. Have you recently rebuilt the carbs?. Just sitting a few years and the gaskets and especially the float needle valves deteriorate. I am on the forum probably too much but there is so much experience to gain here.

eprice Ed Price
yes, have torn them apart several times. Have rebuilt, but still have problem with leak. Going to try again this week. Thanks for suggestion. Will try and include a picture later.
Ed

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Just as a note, a couple years ago I rebuilt my carbs, not because I was having a problem but I just thought that after many years it was about time. So I rebuilt both and it all ran fine for a couple weeks, then on a nice Saturday afternoon drive I was smelling strong gas odor. Stopped the TR and flipped up the hood and gas was dripping from the aft carb. I pulled the air cleaner box and tapped the aft carb float bowl with a plastic hammer (lightly) several times. Started up the car and she ran fine and no leaking so it was pretty evident it was a stuck float valve--they were brand new too. Once I got home (about 30 miles) I took the carbs apart again and found nothing wrong, so all's I could think of was a speck of dirt got in the valve and it stuck open. I put on a new fuel filter and haven't had a problem since then.
Got to have a picture of your car!!!

eprice Ed Price
Brian,
Yes I also tried that and it helped, but now I am not getting gas to engine and it will not start. It is really cold here now and do not have heated garage, so will have to wait a few days. I have included picture of my car. Hope you all have a Happy New Year.
Ed
Picture taken after we got car running, this was last May 2016

Attachments:
IMG_0200.JPG    50.5 KB
IMG_0200.JPG

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
ED, very nice. It was -20 this morning. It's plus 9 right now. How old is your fuel pump? I seem to have to replace that every 3 years.

Have a safe new years.

Brian

Brian Oklahoma Brian Plotkin
Edmond, 73012, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Kevin"
The number 600 seems to come from Bill Piggott's book. Its referenced in the Wiki article. Based on Bill Piggott's research there were 600 TR250's on the road at the point-in-time he wrote the first edition of his book. Since then the value of the model has increased. Several 250's have been put back on the road. Also several TR4A's have been transformed into TR250 lookalikes (unfortunately - since both models are rare). On the other hand, I'm sure a few 250s have died.

Evidently, in Great Britain there is a way to track the exact number of licensed cars of a given model. The number of licensed TR5s in Britain has steadily increased. In 2001 there were 348. In 2017 there were 449. I believe we are experiencing a similar trend in the US. However, I have no proof.

When I went to Triumphest this fall there were 7 TR250s and a TR5. All were running. One was a neat survivor. The TR5 was awesome - beautiful car. It's hard to say how many TR250s and TR5s are on US roads, but I think we should celebrate all that we can find.

ABTR5 Wim Ravesloot
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
We're all waiting to show our car when it is ready (in a few years) cool smiley
Indeed, I mostly review the TR6 site for technicalities. however nice to be able to discuss 5/250 matters with all of you.
Wim
PS Quite a bit of work still, but it drives!

Attachments:
image.jpeg    33 KB
image.jpeg

eprice Ed Price
Brian,
Got leak problem solved so far, friend and I got it running again this week on warm 60 degree day, just last week we were in single numbers for highs. When we got car going found out one air valve was turned the wrong way so it would not rise up. made that change and things are going well. Thanks for your suggestions.
Ed

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Great ED, just keep handling one issue at a time.

Brian

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Triumph TR3A

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links