Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Scott, take a few pictures of your engine compartment so we can see what you still have in there. My 250 is very stock and I don't have any issues with the engine, I rebuilt it 20 years ago and have put about 30,000 miles on it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, Alabama, USA   USA
Glad to see another 250 owner, this forum doesn't have that much traffic so maybe you will be the shot in the arm it needs.
BTW, I have three Valencia blue 250's. One is restored, the other two need restoring. Still gathering parts for them.
Marv

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Isn't it illegal to own 3 TR250"s???? That could be called hoarding!! I'd like to be a hoarder in that case.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Stampy Avatar
Stampy Silver Member Scott Stamp
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1470870 by Bpt70gt Scott, take a few pictures of your engine compartment so we can see what you still have in there. My 250 is very stock and I don't have any issues with the engine, I rebuilt it 20 years ago and have put about 30,000 miles on it.

Mine is all stock. The valve cover line to the pvc valve is rotten as well as the T line and breather to the carb. I tried to use anpiece of 1/2 inch breather line but it kinked and I'm sure that is exaggerating the leak that was there before i replaced the line. I have pulled it all apart and cleaned it up a bit. New lines and valve are on order.
More importantly the vacuum system is what really needs attention. The detent on the side to advance/retard the timing has a chip out of it. So it won't catch the little clip that prevents the housing from moving once timing is set.
This will be ordered as soon as i get home from the lake. We are on Saltspring Island enjoying some time away. The roads here are begging for a top down blast through the countryside.
Soon TR soon.

BraxtonO Avatar
BraxtonO Gold Member Braxton O
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA   USA
Nice looking 250 Scott. Welcome to the group. You will enjoy the car - sounds like you have a great plan with the grandson.

As many have already said - this is a very easy, helpful, and friendly place. Questions are answered quickly by folks who love the cars. And sometimes you might find great info on the TR4A and TR6 sites as well - since the 250 is an "in-betweener," and there's more traffic on those pages.

Good luck - look forward to pix and progress.

Best,
Braxton

" You know - I love this thing. She's got a few leaks, but it's only the engine, gearbox, and the diff - so not too bad....."

Stampy Avatar
Thanks Braxton

I read these pages for a day or two and realized that this forum was my style.

I belong to a woodworking forum, although i've been inactive for a while, and it is of the same ilk. But it has hotten so huge that it doesn't turn my crank anymore.

Like minded folks just happy to chat.
No pressure no b.s. Just sharing of common interests.

I like it.

Scott

Stampy Avatar
So you were asking for some photos of the car.

Here are a couple from under the hood.

And I figured out why I had a leak coming from the dipstick tube.
The 3rd photo shows where someone stuck a dime under the PVC valve......money poorly spent.

And the last photo is my Grandson Dominic after a late evening run to get an ice cream...ssssshhhhhhh don't tell Grandma.

Mission acopmplished

Attachments:
IMG_1393.JPG    54.2 KB
IMG_1393.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG    42 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1389.JPG    58.3 KB
IMG_1390.JPG    48 KB
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Very nice for a car that has set for so many years.

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
i really would love to know where that magic 600 (on the road) number comes from?? i firmly believe there are way more than that. there are at least 7 in cincinnati alone

In reply to # 1470683 by Bpt70gt Welcome to the TR250 tribe Scott!!! We are a rare breed with only about 600 thought to be still on the road worldwide. You've acquired one in decent condition by the looks. It will make some nice memories for the family. Tony brings up a good point about the oil line to the rockers. Lots of controversy on that one. I have the line on my TR250 and have for 20 years but I've taken it off my GT6, time will tell I suppose. Looks like you don't have a lot to do on your 250 but it will keep you busy. Any plans on putting the hood stripe back on?
I put about 2000 miles on mine per year and it has been a very reliable ride to this date.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
It's information I got out of a book or article, I'll see if I can find it again. I couldn't begin to guess where they got the information from. I live in New England and in the past 20 years, I can say I've seen maybe 2 actually out on the road being driven. I belong to British Cars of New Hampshire (BCNH) and there are over 250 British cars in the club and only 2 TR250's. I've had older folks like myself come up to me and say they owned one as a kid but they hadn't seen one in 40 years. Maybe it's a North East thing being a colder climate. At the Larz Anderson Museum Day of Triumph that happens every July, the most I've seen at that show is 3 at one time. However, I haven't been to every show there in the past 20 years. Maybe there are more now.

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Ontario, Canada   CAN
I believe it was published in the "how to restore" book by Roger Williams.

Cheers
Tush

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
yeah, i bet it's from hemmings or wiki. probably pulled from a couple registries, but i really doubt the 250 owners are out there on registries. i have 2 (not on the road, but never the less 2), a friend has 3, another has 2. another local has 1 on the road then, i know of 3 more. just in cincinnati. guy in terre haute has 3-4 of ém.

that said, when people read, "600 on the road", they may think they're worth more. and they are. just sayin'

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
In reply to # 1472068 by Stampy So you were asking for some photos of the car.

Here are a couple from under the hood.

And I figured out why I had a leak coming from the dipstick tube.
The 3rd photo shows where someone stuck a dime under the PVC valve......money poorly spent.

And the last photo is my Grandson Dominic after a late evening run to get an ice cream...ssssshhhhhhh don't tell Grandma.

Mission acopmplished

how did you find that time? don't know that i ever would've looked??

and very admirable that you're looking after your grandson. cheers to ya'!

palermo russ n
Providence, northeast, USA   USA
Looks like a great start Scott.
please keep us all informed about your travels.
I used 20-50 Pennzoil and had well over 235K before the body rusted out and
became unsafe.
This was my everyday transportation in New England, but on the other side of the coin
It was a $200 car needing a clutch when I bought it. So, I ran the heck out of it travelling all over the country numerous times
for 5 years and sold it for $800 thinking I was a genius. The Buyer bought a good frame out of a wrecked TR6 and is still showing it and winning awards.
I would stay with the lever shocks.
I used to run small TR3 hub caps on the steel 250 narrow wheels to avoid throwing the full (now rare) full covers.
now I'm tired of the fake minilites, but hope you are not seduced by chrome wires. painted wires - OK.
Best of luck,
Russ

TuRtle5 Avatar
TuRtle5 Kevin Kelly
Absecon, NJ, USA   USA
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster "Coral Mistress"
1959 Triumph TR3A "Drandulet"
1962 Triumph Vitesse "Ohtoseethelightofday"
1968 Triumph TR250    & more
The dime is for break down phone calls (back in the day) - better shove a rolled up five in there!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster