AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Stampy Avatar
Stampy Silver Member Scott Stamp
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
Hello All

Just joined the forum as I have just purchased a tr 250 and am looking for like minded car-centric individuals to validate my new obsession.

The car is a '68 born on April 1st (I see personalized plate in the future) and has lived in BC all of it's life. As far as I can tell I am the 4th owner

The car came with a ton of gear as well
Carburetor
Second transmission
original wheels (has mini lites on it now)
2 extra steering wheels one with complete linkage
drive shaft
Axel and u joint
misc. light lenses
More that I can't remember
As well as original tech manuals Haynes manuals receipts and other literature for TR 250's and for TR5's
A real gold mine.

The car is in excellent shape. When I was doing the purchase inspection,(because I had bought this car in my mind before I even saw it) the only rust I could find was front lower quarter panel by the doors and in the trunk where a bottle of turtle wax had leaked. This was confirmed when I got it up on my neighbors hoist and dug in deeper. Floors, sills, frame, and running gear is in excellent shape save for the odd dried up bushing or seal. The front end and brakes were done before I bought the car. so that is taken care of.

I plan on doing a rolling resto as I can't afford a frame off at this time. And I want to get to know the car before I really dive into it. For now the major points of improvement will be;
new rear shocks, spacers for the wheels so they don't rub the fenders it has 185/65's on it. new axles and u-joints. valve cover and oil pan gaskets, carb rebuilds, new vacuum diaphragms and change to electronic ignition. The dipstick tube leaks like crazy. Spin on oil filter conversion and a valve oil line to the back of the case.

The motivation for the car has been 2 fold. One I was a guy guy in my teens and 20's and miss the tinkering. And two is, my wife and I are now raising our grandson who just turned 4. He has been with us for a year now (addictions are awful on a family) and I figure he is going to need something to take his mind off of the bowling ball of thoughts that will soon occupy his mind. What better way than some time in the garage, being a custodian of a beautiful car that will one day be his to share. My dad and I worked on everything together. When I was an angry teenager all it took was a nod from him and hours would be spent with hardly a word spoken. just 2 guys hanging out, keeping something alive. And reaping the benefits of time well spent. I helped him build 2 boats an airplane and maintain the tractor and equipment for our small farm. All of them have been passed on to others to enjoy in better shape than when he bought them 40/50 years ago.

So that's my story. I look forward to enjoying these pages in the days ahead

Kind Regards
Scott
Victoria, BC

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1260.JPG    59.5 KB
IMG_1260.JPG

TonyCameron Tony Cameron
Gateshead, UK   GBR
Hi Scott,
Looks like you have a cracking car there and I am sure you are going to have a load of fun with it. Noting your listing of parts you have and work you intend to do my only word of caution would relate to the mod to bring an oil feed into the rockers. I know there are kits to achieve exactly that but there is quite a strong community opinion that this can starve the bottom end of the engine of valuable oil flow (as opposed to pressure).

Anyway good luck with the project, have fun and be safe!

TonyC

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
Welcome to the Forum, Scott. Your car looks great! thumbs upthumbs up The TR250 is a car I would love to have if I had more garage space. Congratulations on the acquisition. Enjoy!

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Welcome to the TR250 tribe Scott!!! We are a rare breed with only about 600 thought to be still on the road worldwide. You've acquired one in decent condition by the looks. It will make some nice memories for the family. Tony brings up a good point about the oil line to the rockers. Lots of controversy on that one. I have the line on my TR250 and have for 20 years but I've taken it off my GT6, time will tell I suppose. Looks like you don't have a lot to do on your 250 but it will keep you busy. Any plans on putting the hood stripe back on?
I put about 2000 miles on mine per year and it has been a very reliable ride to this date.

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, new york, USA   USA
If your interested in the evolution of a 250 you need to check out Cheftush on youtube he is restoring a 250 from the ground up great videos he is also from Ontario you should check him out you will get a lot of info about the car by the way your car looks great post a few more photos or start your own youtube channel

BigChill Avatar
BigChill Silver Member Big Chill
Norwood, Massachusetts, USA   USA
Good luck with everything, Scott. Nice looking car.

Lots of folks here to help with information.

Big Chill

'75 TR6 slowly coming back from the dead...

Stampy Avatar
Thanks for the warm welcome all.

Good advice on the oil line return. Oil pressure seems to be an issue when the engine is hot with oil temp in the normal range. But I will be delving deeper into the oil situation.

What oil are you guys using?

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
I use a 20-50 with ZDDP.

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1470742 by Bpt70gt I use a 20-50 with ZDDP.

+1

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

TonyCameron Tony Cameron
Gateshead, UK   GBR
Valvoline VR1 racing oil. I get better oil pressure with this than Castrol or Dynolite.

TonyC

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Ontario, Canada   CAN
Hi Scott,

Nice purchase there! Looks like a great driving project. Have fun with it. They are a blast to drive that is for sure!

Cheers
Tush

PS. Thanks Ralph for the channel plug :-)

Stampy Avatar
Thanks all for the oil advice.

As for Chef, i have his YouTube to blame for a lack of sleep this week.
Been watching your videos fornthe las week.

Scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-14 03:54 PM by Stampy.

TuRtle5 Avatar
TuRtle5 Kevin Kelly
Absecon, NJ, USA   USA
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster "Coral Mistress"
1959 Triumph TR3A "Drandulet"
1962 Triumph Vitesse "Ohtoseethelightofday"
1968 Triumph TR250    & more
Scott- the 250 looks beautiful! Enjoy- Kevin

Stampy Avatar
Thanks Kevin.

Been thinking about the oil dipstick leaking and wondering if anyone has looked into how the lower case could get pressurized enough to push a significant amount of oil past the dipstick tube?

It would seem to me that normal ops wouldn't see any pressure over a pound or two?

Thoughts?

Scott

P.S. On the Oil Dipstick thread i noticed that there was a mention of the PVC valve having an affect on this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-14 10:59 PM by Stampy.

TuRtle5 Avatar
TuRtle5 Kevin Kelly
Absecon, NJ, USA   USA
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster "Coral Mistress"
1959 Triumph TR3A "Drandulet"
1962 Triumph Vitesse "Ohtoseethelightofday"
1968 Triumph TR250    & more
absolutely right Scott- the crankcase builds pressure whenever the engine runs, which is relieved by venting the valve cover into the carburetor intake manifold. should the venting become blocked, removed, cease to function, the pressure can force oil out of the sump via the dipstick and other places to cause oil loss or oil consumption. your car has a most simple system with a few hoses and a pcv valve. you can use a generic valve but the original one of course is the way to go when your car is so nice. If it is still there, try unclipping the top cover and clean the rubber diaphram inside, clean and blow out the hoses and valve body and it should work fine. If you are doubtful of what your car has in place, look at Moss Motors parts view on their site for a decent schematic. Older, pre-emissions regulated cars often just vented out into atmosphere via valve cover/ cam cover vents or draft tubes off of the sump or engine block (TR4).

You can always get tons of advise and help on this site- A very useful and friendly place here!

Best regards- K

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster