AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Water Heater valve
  This topic is about my 1968 Triumph TR250
Richmond TR250 Avatar
Richmond TR250 Paul Barlow
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
My water heater valve started leaking and when I tried to take it off it broke off by the nut going to the block. any suggestions on how to remove the broken piece. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Paul, very common to break those off. The threads corrode in the aluminum and the cross section of the union bolt is pretty thin. Mine broke on my TR250 way back when, and on my recent restoration it broke on my GT6. I took a hacksaw blade and wrapped one end with lots of tape to make a handle, then use the saw to make four cuts 90 degrees apart, try not to cut into the aluminum manifold. So once you have made those four cuts, then take a small sharp chisel and at each segment, collapse the pieces inward. They should come right out. Then you may have to run a tap in to clean up the threads. However, it is a special tap. It's 1/2" BSP (British Straight Pipe) threads. I bought a tap to clean up those threads. Fairly common tap from most good industrial supply houses. I got mine from McMaster Carr here in the US but you must have a similar place in Canada. If you are real lucky you may not have to run a tap in but I did to start with nice clean threads. Re-assemble with a new bolt and use anti-seize compound.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
OH, and I am very jealous, you have 2 TR250's???? Outrageous!!!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Richmond TR250 Avatar
I only have one TR250. I have to fix my profile.The other Triumph I had was a 2 Liter Vitesse but sold that 2 years ago. Now back to my problem. See photos of the break. Does the elbow into the cylinder head come off or? Also how small a hacksaw blade?

Attachments:
IMG_0015.JPG    47.2 KB
IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG    47.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0016.JPG    23.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Paul, you are better off than you thought, I had GT6 on the brain so I gave you some wrong information. That extension in the head unscrews and comes off, usually without problems. So yes, unscrew it from the head, put it in a vice and either with an easy-out it will likely come right out. If not then try the hacksaw method. The threads are standard pipe threads. So you now have a much easier task ahead. Then just get a new valve and put it all back together.
Sorry I gave you some bad info up front but you now are much better off.

BT

Richmond TR250 Avatar
Thanks, I will give it a go. I will soak it in WD40 for a bit to try to loosen it. Don't want to break that also.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
The extension is steel so you can get a socket on it and it should come off OK. I haven't broken one of those yet.

Richmond TR250 Avatar
I'll have my fingers crossed

Richmond TR250 Avatar
Stuck, stuck, stuck. I don't want to use a breaker bar unless needed. any other suggestions?

ps. Here was my Vitesse

Attachments:
244.JPG    56.6 KB
244.JPG

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Nice Vitesse!! All the frame and running gear of a GT6 with a sedan body on top. Not a lot of them in the US. I saw a lot of them when I was in England many years ago.

Go ahead and try a breaker bar but you should let your favorite penetrant work for a bit, such as overnight, then use moderate torque on the breaker bar. Just don't go crazy with it---yet.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
If it still won't budge tomorrow after soaking overnight, lets go back. Leave the extension in and get a good easy-out and go back to trying to get the broken aluminum out of the extension. but make sure you get a good quality easy-out. A cheap China one is more likely to break off and then we got some more problems to deal with.

Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Gold Member Jim P
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
You can use some heat on the head to help it come out. Typically you would use a pipe wrench. Don't worry too much about the part that screws into the head. It is a simple 45 degree street elbow. (see below)

Jim

https://www.indsup.com/Malleable-Galvanized-45-Degree-Street-Elbow-Iron-p/mid-64-200to208.htm

Richmond TR250 Avatar
Good advise. I have a good set of easy outs and will give that a go if the soaking doesn't work. I'm away for a few days so I will soak it in a rag for a few days and see if that works. I also have a air hose attachment that helps loosen frozen parts.

Paul

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Adding some heat as suggested to the hex part of the extension and the easy-out should be a winner.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Looking for sources for the extension, didn't find one locally but Rimmers lists one. Interesting it's called an elbow but mine and Paul's is a straight extension. But they also show a listing for the street elbow that Jim was talking about. I've not seen the street elbow on any of the TR 250's I've seen at shows in the North East. I'll be looking more carefully from now on. Learned something today.

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-148435

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster