Tr 250 will not start

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mel tr250 Melvin W
Oakley, CA, USA   USA
Car was running fine set for a month will not start no spark i replace coil still no spark check volts to coil it ok

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Brian Oklahoma Brian Plotkin
Edmond, 73012, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Kevin"
ok. We need a little more information. Is the starter turning over?

Mel tr250 Melvin W
Oakley, CA, USA   USA
yes it turns over

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Edmond, 73012, USA   USA
Next question - when you turn the key does your ignition light come on (it should)? If it doesn't its likely you alternator or regulator are not functioning correctly. If it is coming on then you may have a problem with your replacement coil. Note: I'm assuming the distributor is fine.

Mel tr250 Melvin W
Oakley, CA, USA   USA
The ignition light come on when the key is on just got the new coil from trf

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
Edmond, 73012, USA   USA
If you are running points - seems like a likely culprit. Assuming this is an electrical problem - not a fuel problem - Its either the coil, the distributor or the wire between them. If it was past the distributor you would still have 5 plugs firing.

If you have electronic ignition those tend to go bad fairly frequently as well.

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Points would be my first suspect, but rather than just looking at them, try a simple test. Connect a test light or voltmeter (DMM on 20vdc range) from the point terminal on the coil to ground. Turn the engine until the points are closed (one easy way is to put it in 4th gear and roll the car a bit). Turn the key on, check that the light is off or the meter reads 0v. Then turn until the points are open and check again. Should be light on, roughly 12v on meter.
This checks not only the points themselves (which rarely fail), but the wiring to them and the coil (which is a much more common problem area). (Also detects the common mistake of putting the top hat insulator at the points under the wires instead of over them.)

If that looks good, I would next check for spark right at the top of the coil (rather than at a plug wire). If you get spark there, you're probably looking at a bad rotor or coil wire.

If still nothing, I would probably try changing the condenser next.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Mel tr250 Melvin W
Oakley, CA, USA   USA
I just replace the points with a pertronix ignitor and coil starts right up Thank guys.

TuRtle5 Avatar
TuRtle5 Kevin Kelly
Absecon, NJ, USA   USA
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster "Coral Mistress"
1959 Triumph TR3A "Drandulet"
1962 Triumph Vitesse "Ohtoseethelightofday"
1968 Triumph TR250    & more
Hi Mel- best to keep the points and any parts you removed in your on board spares kit.

Mel tr250 Melvin W
Oakley, CA, USA   USA
Will do Thanks

Attachments:
IMG_0862.jpg    49.3 KB
IMG_0862.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster