Gearbox top cover - reverse switch

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR5-2085 Jim Fitzpatrick
Allen, Texas, USA   USA
Hi. I have a question about the location of the reverse switch on the gearbox. Its a TR250 with the gearbox number CD8266 and I just removed the transmission tunnel to replace the reverse switch. I expecting the switch to be either on the top of the gearbox cover or on the left side, but its not in either location... Now I suspect the issue is my inability to find it so I'd appreciate any guidance I can get with this. Here are photos of left and right side...

Help appreciated

Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0992.JPG    53.3 KB
IMG_0992.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG    53.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
fullsizeoutput_eb4.jpeg    26.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Jim, I had to go back and review some pictures of my TR250 from the restoration I did over 20 years ago. My switch is on the top shift cover towards the front. Looking at your middle picture, there is a boss in the casting but obviously your switch isn't there. Mine in on the boss towards the left side/top. I don't know what to make of your setup. It appears you have no switch and that might say the transmission you have isn't original to that car. I looked at my Bentley manual and it clearly shows the switch on top. Sorry I couldn't help you out much.

TR5-2085 Jim Fitzpatrick
Allen, Texas, USA   USA
Brian, thanks for getting back to me. The gearbox number appears to be in the right range for a TR250 - CD 8266 - so maybe the gearbox is right but the top cover isn't original.

I had heard that the TR250 had the reverse switch on the left hand side of the cover, but clearly that's not the case for me.

Here are the number ranges from, I believe, Moss.

CD1 and up for 1968, 69 and part of 1970
CD20000 and up for 1970, 71 and 72
CC75001 and up for 1973, 74 and 74-1/2
CF12501UE for July 1974
CF35001UE for 1975
CF50001UE for 1976

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Jim, Certainly possible that the top cover has been changed. Did you have reverse lights that actually worked prior to your disassembly? If you could find a good example of another TR250 (maybe a local club) you could get some dimensions and drill and tap the cover for the switch. I'll look in my spare parts shed and see if I have a cover that I could take dimensions from. Are you in the process of a restoration? I'll check tomorrow to see what I have.

TR5-2085 Jim Fitzpatrick
Allen, Texas, USA   USA
I bought the 250 last year and I'm slowly working through the repairs. I thought the reverse light issue was a simple switch problem but clearly I've got a bigger issue.
Not planning a major resto, just wanted to keep it close to original. I could pull the top cover and drill, assuming the shafts have the 'notches' to operate the switch.
Jim

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Jim, I just looked to see if I had a top cover to get some reference from but all I have left is a few "innards" for the tranny. Might be other sources online that can help. I suspect the early TR6 top covers would have the same switch. You might try posting your inquiry in the TR6 forum. But at least you can pull your top cover and see if the notch is there to actuate the switch.

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, Alabama, USA   USA
Jim,
Brian is right, 250 rev sw is on top. TR6s have it on the side. The TR6 will swap out to fit your trans. I may have a spare 250 if you are interested.
Marv

TR5-2085 Jim Fitzpatrick
Allen, Texas, USA   USA
Thanks for all in the input. I replaced the gearbox cover yesterday and I now have a functioning reversing light. At some point I'll have the cover I replaced drilled correctly for a 250 box.

Thanks again.
Jim

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
You probably have a TR4 cover and possibly gearbox?

The selector shafts have forks on them. On the top of the forks, you'll see tabs (lack of better words) on them. These push the buttons on the switches. When flipped over the fork will be on the right side. I think on your top cover, there is only one boss on that side. Pretty much has to be that one

I have a tap I can lend

Todd

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster