Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Brian Oklahoma Brian Plotkin
Edmond, 73012, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Kevin"
I want to set up a travel kit in my pickup's toolbox for repairing our Triumphs while on long road trips. I want to stock a few supplies, spares and enough tools to keep us going. I'm trying to do this for under $500. Anybody have recommendations on where to start?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
What do you consider a long road trip? During the summer here in New England, I routinely travel 100 miles to the beach and then back without much of a travel kit. I carry common tools, spare dist. cap, spare fuel pump, spark plugs, quart of oil, a few nuts and bolts, spare radiator hoses and repair tape. I've never had to use ANY of those while on any of my trips, and I've never had to use AAA which I have also. I do normal maintenance prior to any trip.
This TR250 I restored over 20 years ago and it's been very reliable.

Edmond, 73012, USA   USA
Well, this kit would be for when I trailer to a show. Typically a VTR regional or nationals, or perhaps Triumphest. These are typically 500 to 1500 miles from home. Once there, I'd be driving the TR250 heavily for several days. It can ruin a really nice event if I break down and can't get back up and running fairly quickly.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
If I recall, you've been working on your restoration for quite some time so your TR250 should be as close to like new as possible. I remember back when I did my body off restoration about 20 years ago, I drove the car regularly to get some time on it. First 20 mile jaunts, then 50 and then the more I felt confident the farther I went. In the past 20 years I driven everywhere I wanted including 200 mile trips up into Maine and I didn't have any break downs worthy of a tow. Only once did I have to pull over and that was because I got a stuck carb float valve all of a sudden about 50 miles from home. I just pulled over and pulled the air cleaner box off and tapped on the offending float chamber with the wooden end of a small hammer and it let go and off we went. It hasn't' done it since. Sounds like you know your TR completely so you'd be the best judge as to its reliability. I know on my car, I wouldn't hesitate to take 200-300 mile trips.

My son's new BMW broke down recently and had to be towed, it only had a couple 1000 miles on it.

Normal set of tools, I do carry extra brake/clutch fluid, quart of oil, spare fuel pump, radiator hoses. silicone "fix-it tape", short piece of spare fuel line and hose clamps, rotor. Spare spark plugs and wires, electrical wire and connectors. That's it in my kit that I keep in the trunk of the TR.

TuRtle5 Avatar
TuRtle5 Kevin Kelly
Absecon, NJ, USA   USA
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster "Coral Mistress"
1959 Triumph TR3A "Drandulet"
1962 Triumph Vitesse "Ohtoseethelightofday"
1968 Triumph TR250    & more
I always have spare u-joint, wheel bearing, ign. coil, points & condenser, belt and hoses, tire tube or tire plug kit, fix-a-flat and flashlight besides tool kit + beer opener

Edmond, 73012, USA   USA
Brian T. - Actually, I bought this TR250 last fall. Before that I'd owned a 741/2 TR6 for about 4 years. My wife and/I also have owned a Spit Six for the last 3 years. We are heavily into Triumphs, but are hardly the most experienced Triumph people around. I have several wiser/older heads I rely on for advice. Also two wiser/younger heads.

Edmond, 73012, USA   USA
Ahhh - the beer opener - good idea.

Broken Wrench Avatar
Broken Wrench Gold Member Steven S
Albuquerque, NEW MEXICO, USA   USA
Basic tools, ignition and fuel system parts, prayer mat

68 TR250 - daily driver
62 TR4

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links