Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Excellent!! Hope it continues to function well for months and years.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
06nine Silver Member Craig F
San Antonio, FL, USA   USA
I will be surprised, Brian, if your valve doesn't last for decades. It looks superior in many ways. Possibly a way to "field test" these would be to release some to a chosen few and have them update you (please forgive me if this has already been discussed, as honestly I have not reread every response in this thread). It would be a travesty to let all of your efforts be for naught- or for just a couple of cars! For those that have 250's and know the importance of this valve, it appears this is a viable alternative to the NOS description that some vendors use when in reality they are supplying us a used one- ask me how I know this.
Whatever you decide, I applaud your efforts!

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Hi Craig, Good to hear from you again. Did you sell the 250? Excellent thought on releasing a valve or two for "beta" testing. And I have done just that. With the lousy spring weather we are having here in New England (rain today and through Tuesday) I've only been able to put about 200 miles on the car so far this year. NONE of that road time has been with the top down. May not see temperatures above 60 until next Thursday. SOOOOOO- about 3 weeks ago I sent a valve to a fellow TR250 enthusiast down in a warmer state in hopes that he can put more real road time on the valve than I've been able to. So far with my valve I've had no problems. I keep track of each valve as to the components, like what compound the O-rings are and other small details.
If you recall, this entire effort started with your original inquiry. Thanks for the inspiration!!

My latest weekend project was a wind deflector behind the seats. I designed and fabricated it up this past weekend, all so my wife will be more comfortable cruising along without that constant wind on the back of her head.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
I've got about 500 miles on my valve testing. Still works perfect. Saturday I have a British car meet and that will put another 150 + miles on.
As a side note, I've wanted to pull my rear axles this spring to lube the axle splines. Took care of that but in the process found 2 of the 6 nuts that hold the hub into the trailing arm (drivers side) were not holding. Just the usual problem many others have found. I installed a couple inserts and put it all back together. Then one of the lug nuts that hold the wire wheel adapter on was stripped. If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. So another 1/2 hour on the lathe and I had new lug nuts. Now the old 250 is ready for the trip tomorrow.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Dave, have you had any issues with the valve you've been testing? I'm close to 750 miles on mine now with no problems. I'll be putting another 150 miles on it this weekend at a major British car show this Saturday.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
I went to a fairly large British Car show today, there were 202 British cars and only 2 TR250's. I had a good conversation with the owner and I could see he still has his vacuum valve operating. Pretty amazing for a 49 year old car.

I now have just about 900 miles on my new valve and no problems.

DavidCole Silver Member David Cole
KY, USA   USA
Hey Brian,

I've had no issues with the valve but I'm only at approximately (speedo inop) 150 miles. We had a stretch of hot, humid weather and storms that shut me down from driving it to work along with the wife's mini van blocking the driveway for a few weeks because she was going to dog shows. I took it on a 40 mile round trip today when I visited my mother.

I'm anxious to get more long drives in because I'm still trying to lean out my carbs and I need to get some driving in to get a good read on the plugs. Maybe I should look for a show 50 miles away or so.

David

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
That's good to hear David. We've had more than normal rain showers so I've been somewhat limited in drives but have managed to get to a few shows that had some distance to get there. I'll probably get less than 1500 miles on the TR this year. That's OK. The valve is doing what I wanted and looks like it will last a long time, Even if the O-rings wear, they are replaceable for about 12 cents.

DavidCole Silver Member David Cole
KY, USA   USA
Another cool morning and low humidity here. "Little Car" went with me to work again and I ended up putting another 30 - 35 miles on her. Think I'll pull the plugs and see how they look.

1956 Avatar
1956 Jeffrey Lampinski
Media, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
Hey Brian - I just bumped into this post in researching the vacuum control valve for a 68 GT6 Mk1 with the same anti-smog setup. As a "GT6er" I'm very interested in one if you would offer it for sale. Please PM me if you have one you are willing to part with. I'm a slave to authenticity and would like to get my carbs set up as close to stock as possible.

Many thanks,
Jeff

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Here is a vacuum valve update. I've put about 2000 miles on the TR250 this summer and the vacuum valve has performed well with no problems. So, this is the aluminum valve as shown in the middle of the attached picture. BUT, not being able to leave well enough alone, I've decided to see how it might work if I printed some parts on a 3D printer. So first I made the foot mount which is the part on the right in the picture, and that fits the aluminum barrel very nicely so that is a huge time saver using the 3D printer instead of machining the foot mount out of aluminum. The part is now a high temperature plastic. So then I made the entire valve body out of the same high temperature resistant plastic. Now it looks nice and looks a lot more like the OEM valve. I haven't installed the internal piston yet but that will be the next challenge to make the internal bore smooth enough to let the piston 0-rings seal properly. Oh, and yes I can just as easily make the valve parts in OEM white. I will have to mount a valve with the plastic foot on my TR250 to do some real world testing and see if it can survive the engine environment. The experiment continues.

Attachments:
vacuum valve 3D type.JPG    26.1 KB
vacuum valve 3D type.JPG

06nine Silver Member Craig F
San Antonio, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1462107 by Bpt70gt Hi Craig, Good to hear from you again. Did you sell the 250? Excellent thought on releasing a valve or two for "beta" testing. And I have done just that. With the lousy spring weather we are having here in New England (rain today and through Tuesday) I've only been able to put about 200 miles on the car so far this year. NONE of that road time has been with the top down. May not see temperatures above 60 until next Thursday. SOOOOOO- about 3 weeks ago I sent a valve to a fellow TR250 enthusiast down in a warmer state in hopes that he can put more real road time on the valve than I've been able to. So far with my valve I've had no problems. I keep track of each valve as to the components, like what compound the O-rings are and other small details.
If you recall, this entire effort started with your original inquiry. Thanks for the inspiration!!

My latest weekend project was a wind deflector behind the seats. I designed and fabricated it up this past weekend, all so my wife will be more comfortable cruising along without that constant wind on the back of her head.
Yes, Brian, I sold the 250. A tough decision, as it really grew on me. I humbly apologize for my delayed response! So much has happened this year. Between the hurricane, my retirement and an upcoming move out of state, the time has flown by.
I am pleased to hear of your success with this valve-but not surprised in the least as your logical approach all but guaranteed good results. I certainly hope those that are privy to this essential part will appreciate your efforts.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Hi Craig, great to hear from you. Yes, I've recently made a few new experiments with the valve.

Earlier this year I was finally able to procure a complete surrey top including the aluminum mid section and nice blue canvas section. I just love it.

Congratulations on your retirement, you'll love it. Hope the hurricane didn't affect you much.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Final update on this vacuum valve. I've decided not to continue my experiment with the 3D printed version of this vacuum valve for a couple reasons. When 3D printing the part is produced in very fine layers so getting the internal bore smooth enough to allow the O-rings to seal good is not working. I could install a very thin wall brass sleeve inside but that defeats the time savings of the 3D process. Second, this printed part is very slightly flexible so any distortion during the process of installing the valve may put enough stress on the body to cause the internal piston shaft to bind up. Concluding that the aluminum valve has worked fine in my TR for this past year so I'll be satisfied with that. I'll continue to experiment with other potential parts to make using the 3D process, I've already made a dome light lens for the GT6 which shows promise.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1932 Triumph Scorpion

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links