Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
OH NO Craig, you just burst my balloon!!! I thought that SC group couldn't get them any longer. Their valve is for the Jaguar A/C unit but other than the foot on the end of the piston being different and the base mount not having the slots for adjustment in the TR application, it should work with some minor modifications to their part. I'm crushed !!! Ha. On their website on the Triumph TR 250 side it says they are researching for a source to supple the valve for the 250. I thought that I had cornered the market and could spend the rest of my life in the Caribbean on an island with my TR and GT and just watching my retirement fund grow. Wonder if I could undercut their cost, hot smiley but then there's nothing like having an original.

Thanks for posting the valve.

David, I sort of knew about your gym, good old Google.

Well, guess I'll finish up my valve project and go back to working on my GT6. confused smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
06nine Silver Member Craig F
San Antonio, FL, USA   USA
You're too much Brian!
For what I paid, 118 Euros, it should be made out of gold. And if you look closely, I believe this one is used...
I would have preferred to get your valve, but it's still in the testing stage. I needed to get a functioning valve on the car asap to get the car up to spec for the sale. Originals in working order are very rare- and when you find one, the owner most likely won't part with it.
...I think the Carribean is still within your reach.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Well, my wife is wondering why I have been spending so much time in my shop these past couple weeks. The weather has been lousy so I've been cutting a few chips. These things just keep multiplying, I'm getting anxious to install one on the TR250, (my special all brass one) so I can do some real world testing on these creatures. In the end they may just end up being tiny paper weights or at best conversation pieces in the British car club I joined this year. We'll see what happens, I should know more by the end of May.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
VACUUM MULTIPLES.JPG    27.7 KB
VACUUM MULTIPLES.JPG

VACUUM VALVE BRASS.JPG    18.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Out of my curiosity I contacted a Jaguar vintage parts supplier because they list the vacuum valve for the Jaguar application in the A/C unit. I asked if their valve was new or used. Their reply was "used". So if we really needed the valve, you can get a used one and then modify the valve mounting and foot to fit the TR250, then you'd have a valve that looks exactly like on OEM valve, not a bad option.

DavidCole Silver Member David Cole
KY, USA   USA
Brian,

I understand "originality" but these used parts are likely at the end of their useful life, if you can find them (does this supplier have a huge inventory?).

What was this supplier asking for his used valves? The two big issues with this part are, of course, availability and cost. The possibility of you being able to supply unlimited numbers of these for a comparable or lower price for a brand new part is the exciting aspect of your creations. Plus, yours are prettier.

David

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Hi David, I didn't ask that specific supplier what his inventory was but it has to be very limited. The reason I asked him was the valve he showed looked a little "discolored" so it made me suspect. I think these suppliers should be stating they are supplying a used part. You are right in these used valves are now 48 plus years old so their service life has to be near the end plus they would need modifications right away to make them into a TR250 part. In the case of the Jaguar, this valve is probably more important to them since it is used in their A/C systems and I would think it would not be easy to bypass as it is in our 250's. Plus I was really curious if there was an OEM supplier out there somewhere. All my research says no. I really did this whole exercise for the fun of it and the challenge. Craig found one for a little over $100 (used) and that was out of England. The one I located at a Jag supplier was $40 so the costs are all over the place. Once in a while they show up on fleabay and usually in the $80 range if I recall the last one I saw there.
As a side note, I'll be installing my brass valve onto my TR250 tomorrow morning, and it is supposed to be close to 80 deg. but I still have snowbanks in my yard. I still don't plan on taking the TR out for its spring run until the second week in May. If I can get a picture of it installed I'll post that tomorrow also. I actually had it bolted on earlier today but took it off because I forgot to record what type (compound) O-ring I had in my valve. I've had good encouragement from some true 250-ers like you. Selling them at a profit is out of the question, I put way too much time in them especially being handmade along with the engineering and parts drawings I made . The drawing were more out of habit than anything else. Fortunately the demand is extremely limited. They'll be on a few cars for conversation sake I suspect. My brass one is "pretty" on my car though. Too bad it's buried down in the linkage where few people will see it.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Here is a picture of the valve installed on my TR250. It fits as it should, it adjusts well with the slots in the base. My car is in a cramped storage space so it's hard for me to get clear access but from the picture I can see I need to slightly adjust it to square it up against the linkage lever. So far so good anyway. I plan on having some results late next month.
Oh, in my research, I discovered that this little valve was used on 63 to 64 Corvettes with A/C. I didn't think they even had AC on those cars back then. In the normal vintage Corvette catalogs, they list it as NLA. Probably used on a few other GM cars of those years also. So this valve or variation there of has been around a long time. Triumph seems to be one of the few that used it in an emissions application--lucky us.

Attachments:
Vacuum valve installed on my TR.JPG    49.7 KB
Vacuum valve installed on my TR.JPG

06nine Silver Member Craig F
San Antonio, FL, USA   USA
Brian: I was just wondering if your weather has improved any- the "250" world needs your valves! I would be surprised if someone, other than those of us on this forum, hasn't reached out to you yet... thanks again for your efforts!

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Hi Craig, I just responded to your other post and the great Corvette you now have.
As I mentioned, I installed the valve the other day and today for the first time I put the battery in the TR and it started up and purred like it normally would. Idled perfect at 850 rpm so the valve is working fine, now I just have to get some real road time on it. Supposed to rain off and on the next 4 days and it was 32 degrees this morning so it will be at least another week before we might get some better weather. The afternoons should be in the 60's and it was today but once again, the weather is holding me up.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Vacuum valve update: I've been able to put about thirty miles on the TR with the new vacuum valve on. So far it's working well. I know that's not much of a test. I'd like to put a couple hundred miles on it and then take the valve off and dissect it and see if I can detect any problems. I generally only put about 2000 miles on the TR in the summer but I can see no reason at this point why the valve won't work for a very long time. It's much more robust than the OEM valve. Finally got some good hot weather (80's) coming in next week.

KY, USA   USA
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
David, Have you had an opportunity to install the valve for testing? Just curious.

KY, USA   USA
Brian,

I got as far as the garage and putting the bonnet up then the dryer dinged and it started to rain so I did laundry then I had to get ready to go coach pole vaulting at the state meet so I got home late and woke up just in time to make the family pancakes before going to church then off to a PV facility which is 1 1/2 hours away to return a rented pole but luckily it was close to Louisville where I looked at a used Odyssey for the wife and was fortunate enough to drive home in more thunderstorms and numerous traffic backups and when I finally got home, what did I do? More laundry!

Guess I could have said no.

I'll git er done. It'll be an easy week...after I get payroll out Monday.

David

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
You are a busy man! Time is on our side. I've put about 150 miles on the TR now with the valve, no problems encountered. Had to do the trips with the top up though, temps are in the mid 60's so it's a little cool for top down driving.

KY, USA   USA
Today, I woke up and saw the weather forecast; clear skies and a high of 71. Installed the valve and off to work I went. It's amazing how many errands you need to run despite the fact that it's a payroll Monday.

Car ran swell. Thanks Brian.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster