Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Forgot to show the fourth valve. The fifth valve body is out of tolerance so I had to scrap that one. My eyes are getting too old for these small parts.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
vacuum barrel prototype.JPG    35.3 KB
vacuum barrel prototype.JPG

carpecursusII Drew H
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA   USA
If nothing else, I'm impressed by your ingenuity to remake the valve. I would certainly be interested in one. Good to see your making notable progress on it. There is still part of me that wishes that original seal could be reproduced.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Hi Drew, I certainly agree that the IF the seal could be reproduced, it would be the easy fix. Making a replacement "foot" is the easiest part to make--takes less than 7 minutes. Before I retired, I designed a fair number of test fixtures utilizing all types of seals. In all my resource catalogs, I have never seen one even close to the OEM seal so that usually tells me that it was proprietary to this valve. Even in the Jaguar sources, the valve usually comes up as NLA. That's not to say that there are a few hiding on a warehouse shelf somewhere in the world. Fortunately the valve isn't critical to operation of the TR250. I'm going to beat this valve up for a short while longer, then I'll move on to some other part that is made from un-obtainium. OR, spring will get here in NH and I'll get back on to finishing my GT6 restoration. Now 8-12 inches of snow coming Friday. Tired of it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DavidCole Silver Member David Cole
KY, USA   USA
Brian,

Looking good. You're sneakin' up on it. Praying for good weather in your neck off the woods soon.

David

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Yes David, I've got one more idea for the mounting piece. The barrel design is in the scheme of things the best I'm going to do as far as machining time. Now how I hold the barrel is the most time consuming. One more effort and then it's time to move on to other projects. Next to making new pistons for the PDWA valve for the GT6, this valve has been one of the more fun projects. I have had to expand my repair kit storage box.
Picture is a little fuzzy but you get the idea.

Attachments:
TR & GT REPAIR KITS.JPG    49.1 KB
TR & GT REPAIR KITS.JPG

KY, USA   USA
Way cool Brian. I've been having fun watching the wheels in your head turn. I tinker with things like this; you engineer and it's a thing of beauty.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
That's it, I'm done with this valve. Final design change and a prototype valve made up and ready for testing on my TR250, only problem with that --it's snowing again with 8" expected overnight and a little more tomorrow. Should be driving the TR by middle of May.
This final design uses an aluminum main barrel and a separate aluminum mount that holds the barrel very rigid. I decided to go with a brass internal piston and brass side spigots and stainless steel foot, the rear cap is brass. So now it's just up to the weather so I can put some time on the valve under normal driving conditions. It's been a fun project and thanks to those of you that have encouraged me to keep at this. I know most TR 250 owners have long ago bypassed this little gem.

Attachments:
VACUUM VALVE FINAL DESIGN-1.JPG    15.2 KB
VACUUM VALVE FINAL DESIGN-1.JPG

VACUUM VALVE FINAL DESIGN-2.JPG    18.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
VACUUM VALVE FINAL DESIGN-3.JPG    15.9 KB
KY, USA   USA
Love it. Can't wait for my email update in May after you've done some real world testing. I guess you better go shovel snow now.

David

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
I'll update you in May David, winter wonderland here now and still snowing. When would you expect to have your TR250 out on the road for the season?

Good friend of mine lives in Louisville, a bit south of you I think.

KY, USA   USA
Brian,

We have a good weekend coming up next week but I just had knee surgery (doc called it a tune up). Since it is my left knee, I'll be doing some therapy before that happens. Hey, maybe I'll add that to the my rehab soon. smiling bouncing smiley

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
HA !! Must be a gym near by that you could get some knowledgeable exercise for your knee. Likely some very professional instructors that you could get some good advice from, I bet you know of such a facility. Heal soon David, the Triumphs are begging to run. Got any pictures of your TR 250?
My wife just had two hips replaced (about 6 months ago) but she can't wait to do some touring in the TR250.

KY, USA   USA
Brian,

After that comment, I had to check and see if we knew each other. I own a gymnastics club. Ha.

All my pics are on my old laptop. She's a driver that I will restore upon retiring.

Take care.

06nine Silver Member Craig F
San Antonio, FL, USA   USA
Brian:
That valve of yours looks to be a much improved version when I compare it to what I got from SC Parts. Glad you had the skill set to pull this off- there have been several threads over the years about this valve, but no one has ever solved this riddle up until now! I have bookmarked your threads, in the hopes of if I know of a need for this, I can pass this info on.
Thanks again for your efforts- and good luck with the testing!
Craig

carpecursusII Drew H
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA   USA
Craig can you post a picture of what you got? I may be in need of something at a later date.

06nine Silver Member Craig F
San Antonio, FL, USA   USA
A few pics...
Do you need a different angle, Brian?

Attachments:
IMG_0040.JPG    19.1 KB
IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG    38.7 KB
IMG_0041.JPG    16.5 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster