Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

peerlessgt Avatar
peerlessgt paul milsom
leigh on sea, essex, UK   GBR
Yep, I've worked on this stuff fo r yonks, quite honestly, take ALL the vacuum stuff off and run without it. just use the centrifugal advance, and that's it. I fine tune my TR3 setup by reducing the amount of advanve with sleeves over the weight stops. prob was , set for good idle, too advanced on fast running, set for good fast way too retarded on idle, so limit the original advance from 11 degrees to abou 8 fabulous. just dump all the emissions junk. run without it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
peerlessgt Avatar
peerlessgt paul milsom
leigh on sea, essex, UK   GBR
Yep, I've worked on this stuff for yonks, quite honestly, take ALL the vacuum stuff off and run without it. just use the centrifugal advance, and that's it. I fine tune my TR3 setup by reducing the amount of advanve with sleeves over the weight stops. prob was , set for good idle, too advanced on fast running, set for good fast way too retarded on idle, so limit the original advance from 11 degrees to abou 8 fabulous. just dump all the emissions junk. run without it.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Paul, That's what most folks have done, just remove them. But, I've sent a few of these vacuum valves out to owners that just plain want to keep the functionality as it was originally. I've got one on my TR and I have had no issues, no overheating etc., Sure, it was an attempt at meeting the USA emission standards at the time and by today's standards it was pretty crude.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oldjohnny Silver Member Johnny H
Macon, GA, USA   USA
Brian,

I have enjoyed following your engineering and design process on this valve. Since I am currently on the hunt for a TR250, I am interested in the outcome of the testing.
Your other projects are very interesting too.

Thanks

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Thanks Johnny, Thanks for the encouragement. I do like to create parts that seem to me to be overly expensive or are no longer available or in the case of the vacuum valve, you most likely have to find a used one and then hope that the 49 yr. old valve still works. Got that one solved I think, I put roughly 2000 miles on mine this past summer, a couple other 250 owners and a GT6 owner have them and have had good luck so far. The hazard switch I'm working on is getting close to completion. I have other parts for my GT6 and TR250 on my list of parts to try to improve upon or make. The challenge keeps my old brain working.

Good luck in yours search for a TR250, Great style car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-01 06:02 AM by Bpt70gt.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Triumph Spitfire

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links