AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR250 grille
  This topic is about my 1968 Triumph TR250
Merlin14 Avatar
Merlin14 Doug Bohs
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Merlin"
Does anyone know what method was used to finish the grille on the TR250? A friend told me the TR4A and 250 grilles were extruded aluminum which should take anodizing but I want to know exactly how they left the factory.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR250Guy Avatar
TR250Guy Tim Moore
Dayton, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "TRminator"
The TR250 grille is aluminum. The front facing vertical sides were polished and the angled areas were a matt finish. When I did mine I polished and cleaned up the shiny areas and then taped them off and sprayed the grill with satin black. But as far as exactly how they left the factory I do not know if the black was anodized or not.

1968 TR250 "TRminator"
Owned since 1980
Frame off rotisserie restoration completed in 11-2014 by myself and my brother

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-23 08:25 PM by TR250Guy.

Attachments:
IMAG0246.jpg    45.8 KB
IMAG0246.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg    37.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMAG0254.jpg    42.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA   USA
Doug,
As Jim said they are anodized, but with the top edge of the slats finished in a satin black paint. When researching the proper finish for several of the grills I had, mostly TR4a, I found that there were at least 2 manufacturers and the slats were different from each one. One style had a rounded leading edge in the slats and more polish and the other style had a sharp transition on the leading edge with more of a mill grade aluminum that was satin. One of my grills was painted to look like a 250 grill, but it still had the crank hold...go figure. Another difference I noticed was that one grill was more rounded across the front where it followed the bonnet shape, but another had more of a V shaped front similar to the sharper leading edge mentioned earlier.
Rut

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Merlin14 Avatar
Merlin14 Doug Bohs
Thanks to Rut and Tim for your response to my questions on the 250 grille. Two companies who anodize told me if the grille was cast aluminum it would have a grey color when completed. A friend said they were in fact extruded. I guess I can feel confident in having it anodized.
Doug

Perdido Avatar
Doug,
Please report back once you have your grill anodized and post some pictures. I have one grill in great shape and one that needs stripping and re anodizing and I'd love your comments on yours.
Thanks, Rut

Merlin14 Avatar
Merlin14 Doug Bohs
Will do.

TuRtle5 Avatar
TuRtle5 Kevin Kelly
Absecon, NJ, USA   USA
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster "Coral Mistress"
1959 Triumph TR3A "Drandulet"
1962 Triumph Vitesse "Ohtoseethelightofday"
1968 Triumph TR250    & more
All good notes above- not cast, yes extruded and anodized with matt black paint. I've had the rounded ones and the sharp edged but have never seen one with a v down the center... any photos of that one Rut? - Kevin

Perdido Avatar
In reply to # 1429943 by TuRtle5 All good notes above- not cast, yes extruded and anodized with matt black paint. I've had the rounded ones and the sharp edged but have never seen one with a v down the center... any photos of that one Rut? - Kevin

Kevin,
I lost those grills in a shop fire and don't have any pictures, but if one pops up I'll post it.
Rut

Edit: I did find a picture of two grills together with different slat contours, but the one with the V front eludes me.
Rut

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-24 09:27 PM by Perdido.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    67.6 KB
image.jpeg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster