AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mounting Front Signal Lamps
  This topic is about my 1968 Triumph TR250
MonAndrew77 Avatar
MonAndrew77 Andrew M
Northern, Virginia, USA   USA
Hi Folks,

So I have a whole box of old TR4/TR250 front signal lamps in various stages of disrepair but it's just going to be easier to replace the whole lamp given what's rusted, broken or missing among the various old lamps. So I bought two new lamps assemblies from TRF. They look to have two threaded posts that nut down from behind the grille. My receptacles have three holes and even if I had three bolts, it doesn't look like I could possibly get in from behind the grille to tighten them down. Plus some of my old assemblies show prior use of three bolts. Do the bolts screw down from inside the assemblies on the 250? In these pics the assembly with the red/black wires is the new TRF one. Do I need different bolts?

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this problem. Any suggestions?

Andrew

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
FrontSignal1.jpeg    49.4 KB
FrontSignal1.jpeg

FrontSignal2.jpeg    41.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
FrontSignal3.jpeg    28.7 KB
FrontSignal4.jpeg    37.3 KB
markarmfield Mark Armfield
Augusta, Kansas, USA   USA
Mine were screwed in with flat Phillips head screws that just threaded in like sheet metal screws. That was a while back, I checked the repair manual. It stated to remove screws from lens, remove bulb, remove screws holding assembly. I believe mine had three screws also 120 degrees off of each other. but the car is across town in a shed right now. I have not replaced them, I just cleaned them up with electrical contact cleaner. I suffer from garage envy!

TR250Guy Avatar
TR250Guy Tim Moore
Dayton, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "TRminator"
its been awhile since I did this. I also got the TRF lenses. You don't use the long bolts sticking out of the light. I removed them and placed 3 clips where the 3 notches are in the grill where the lights go and they line up with the 3 small holes in the light. You then use 3 small sheet metal screws and screw the light down into those 3 clips.

1968 TR250 "TRminator"
Owned since 1980
Frame off rotisserie restoration completed in 11-2014 by myself and my brother

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-22 11:25 PM by TR250Guy.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, Alabama, USA   USA
Those light assemblies are used are used on other LBC as well. Go with Tims description.
Marv

MonAndrew77 Avatar
MonAndrew77 Andrew M
Northern, Virginia, USA   USA
Sounds good. Any suggestion on the "clips" you would screw into? Or is that something you can get at Home Depot etc?

TR250Guy Avatar
TR250Guy Tim Moore
Dayton, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "TRminator"
They are just common and readily available spire nuts, They are item 53 in this Moss diagram.

1968 TR250 "TRminator"
Owned since 1980
Frame off rotisserie restoration completed in 11-2014 by myself and my brother

Attachments:
TRS-066.jpg    17.9 KB
TRS-066.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster