Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Brian Oklahoma Brian Plotkin
Edmond, 73012, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Kevin"
I think I have a faulty rheostat (dash light dimmer knob). My dash lights are very dim. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the mounting hardware loose. Its one of those circular nuts with small slots 180 degrees apart (see photo). Does anyone have a good means of getting those off. I've tried penetrant oil. Is there a tool made for taking these off/on?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20161204_121726198.jpg    35.7 KB
IMG_20161204_121726198.jpg

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Brian, there is a tool for that but you aren't likely to find one since it's a special spanner. Just make one by taking a length of steel tubing that just fits over the threaded part and then cut the end of the tubing back so there is just two tabs 180 deg. apart that fit into the slots of the switch.

Brian Oklahoma Brian Plotkin
Edmond, 73012, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Kevin"
I have heard that there is someone on Ebay who sells a tool. I haven't been able to find it. But your steel tubing solution seems to be the easiest way to go. Thanks for the idea.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
David DPS Avatar
David DPS David S
Louisville, Kentucky, USA   USA
Bentley makes it look straight forward with a proper tool. Should be very simple to make.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-13 05:32 PM by David DPS.

Triumph Racer Avatar
Triumph Racer Patrick N
south bend, IN., USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR4 "My First Triumph"
1962 Triumph TR4 "Big Red"
1964 Triumph TR4 "Ugly Duckling"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV    & more
Moss sells the bezel remover tool in 2 sizes. I have seen it on the MG catalog but can't remember if it's advertised on the Triumph parts book? I always have used long needle nose pliers to twist them on & off.

Sometimes you succeed,other times you learn.

ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, New York, USA   USA
Moss bezel removers

Supplemental information...

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Triumph TR 250 Henning Ringsvold
Brumunddal, Østlandet, Norway   NOR
I just use the pliers for outside Retaining Ring. Then you may make som force to keep in the slot

ducbsa Bruce Metcalf
Berryville, Virginia, USA   USA
I left mine in place (TR4A) and bypassed it for full brightness by reconnecting the gauge light lead to the input side of the switch. I had it out previously and cleaned it successfully with DeOxit, but after a year or so it wouldn't respond to cleaning, so I bypassed it.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster