TRExp

TR5 & TR250 Forum

What did you do with your TR5/TR250 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Did you repair or replace some worn out parts?
Add a new accessory?
Take it out for a drive on twisty back roads?

What did YOU do with your TR5 or TR250 today?

Post your update below......

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
06nine Silver Member Craig F
San Antonio, FL, USA   USA
Replaced a noisy water pump, the larger hoses, and flushed the coolant system. Ran a full can of Mopar combustion chamber cleaner through the engine. The 250 now runs much better, but I am still getting the occasional run-on. No timing marks on the dampener and the vacuum is about 19 at 850-900rpm...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
abcdefgh Howard Fincher
La Plata, NM, USA   USA
Waking up an old friend. Possibly the 6th oldest TR250 in existence.

Attachments:
TR250.jpg    62.2 KB
TR250.jpg

jnieves2014 Joseph Nieves
Kernersville, NC, USA   USA
1975 Triumph TR6 "None"
Installed the newly acquired Petronix electronic ignition to my 75 TR6, I can tell the difference at idle and quick starts.Awesome addition.

Attachments:
TR6 Electronic Ignition.jpg    43.2 KB
TR6 Electronic Ignition.jpg

TR6 Jan 14.jpg    30.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
1147cc Avatar
1147cc Silver Member Douglas Hansen
Westminster, SC, USA   USA
I put a roof on mine.

Douglas Hansen
New Parts; Engine Rebuilds; Sheet Metal work and Advice.
http://www.1147cc.com

Attachments:
IMG_20170315_174202232.jpg    37.3 KB
IMG_20170315_174202232.jpg

abcdefgh Howard Fincher
La Plata, NM, USA   USA
Continuing the assessment of the 250. Fogging oil in the cylinders and the valve cover. Will drain the old oil, and coolant when weather permits. The car was a good runner/driver when stored. I'm debating a rolling restoration, or selling my Triumph hobby, which consists of the TR250, a complete (Less windshield) GT6 parts car, a TR4 rolling chassis, 4 extra wire wheels (for a total of 13), new carpet set, and many spare parts. There were 125 250s built prior to this one, and 5 older ones registered, that I can find. Price, if I sell, will be in relationship to the state of restoration.

Attachments:
tr250 engine.jpg    59.1 KB
tr250 engine.jpg

I installed the new vacuum control valve, reattached the vacuum lines, retarded the timing a few degrees, and went for a test run. Much better. That little valve makes quite a difference on this car...

abcdefgh Howard Fincher
La Plata, NM, USA   USA
I spent all of yesterday fielding questions, and sending pics, and narrative. One 'offer' clearly from a flipper, ended when I responded to a lowball to make me a FAIR, U.S. offer. One flipper gone. VERY disheartening, but I'm learning. Looks like I will be starting the rolling restoration when weather stabilizes. That's ok, I can use the money for Oktoberfest, and more money, for very little ,easy work, is always welcome, just not what I intended. I'll still read all offers, but I'm catching on to what a genuine "TRIUMPH PERSON" sounds like. I do think I have one sincere offer, but it's still vapor until money changes hands. If any "REAL TRIUMPH PEOPLE", have any suggestions for a newbee to these shark infested waters, regarding selling my VERY low number car, please feel free. This is indeed becoming a Triumph Experience. Thanks all, HF

PS. If any of you have experiences with any of the advantage taking Vultures out there, please share. Tnx, H

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-04 01:29 PM by abcdefgh.

Attachments:
IMG_0665.jpg    63 KB
IMG_0665.jpg

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Put the battery in the TR 250 today and after a few seconds of cranking, she fired right up and ran beautiful, after a minute on choke she settled down to a smooth 850 rpm idle. AHH!! that sound of a TR 6 cylinder is so sweet. And yes Craig, that little vacuum valve that no one likes-- got to love it. Still to cool to take it for a shake down run and rain coming in for the next 3-4 days but I'm getting anxious.

That so-called despised valve was essential to my car's well being...
I have an extra one left over from my treasure hunt.
I sold the 250 and bought this:

Attachments:
IMG_2109.JPG    74.6 KB
IMG_2109.JPG

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
CRAIG!!! How could you???? Selling the TR250 for a measly Corvette!!!! It's appalling!! Makes me cringe!!! Selling a car that is easily worked on for a Corvette that I can't even find the spark plugs on AND it doesn't have the glorious VACUUM VALVE!!!$$$$%%%%. What were you thinking???
(I love the color) My GT6 will be painted that color soon.

ENJOY!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-04 07:54 PM by Bpt70gt.

I know, I know... it's hard to explain, but it's worth the effort: we needed a car that the 250 could never be. Roadworthy and comfortable for long trips as well as dependable. Not being the consummate mechanic, I never had the confidence in myself or the car. I've been stranded numerous times- always was able to get home after fixing the issue(s), but that isn't good when it happens with the wife in the car...A big part of it is us- as my wife's MS progresses, and as I am just too blasted busy to turn wrenches, I wanted a car that looked good, got out of its own way, was safer than the 250, and relatively maintenance-free. So many cars fit those criteria, but I've wanted a Corvette for at least 50 years. I've never even driven one until about 2 months ago!
The 250 (as I am sure most Triumphs do) has this persona, unlike any car I've owned. YOU drive it, it offers minimal creature comforts, but in that simplicity you can become attuned to everything from the different road textures to how each carb sounds under load. I improved the brakes with a Wilwood tandem m/c that allowed the front/ rear bias to be adjusted as well as Wilwood calipers and larger rear wheel cylinders- all in the hope of improving brake response and stopping distance. It stopped much better, especially with the larger rims (16x7) and tires (205 55 16).
But at the end of the day, our goals and priorities had changed. If they had not, I had planned to keep this car in the family for as long as possible. It is a bittersweet decision that I made, but not without a lot of thought and frustration. My appreciation for British cars, particularly those of this era, has grown exponentially in the last 2 1/2 years- especially for their owners. I cannot put a price on the knowledge I've gained as a result of the posts on this forum as well as the 6 pack forum. And I am grateful to everyone on those forums who took the time to share their experiences, knowledge, and even frustration!
I will continue to read posts on these forums, hoping to live vicariously, as it may be some time (if ever) before another TR finds its way into our garage.

Thanks again,
Craig

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Craig, all fully understandable considerations and the Corvette is a great car. My son has one. My best wishes for you and your wife and family.

(I still like the vacuum valve) and am in the process of testing my design now that I've installed it on the TR.

Brian

abcdefgh Howard Fincher
La Plata, NM, USA   USA
Hi all. CD 126 has passed to other hands, and a good home. This was quite an experience, but in the end the car went to someone who will do right by it. CD126 did not go to the highest bidder. It did not go to the guy who said that a low number car was no more valuable than any other. Nor did it go to the guy who's only interest was to ship the car out of the US, and it never would have. Likewise, 126 didn't go to the guy who threw a hissyfit when he found out that his loball bid would not gain him exclusive rights above all other bidders. The takeaway from all this is, sell your car to someone worthy of it. You'll know a real Triumph person when you talk to them, believe me. Now, on to my GT6.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
You did good. Now conquer the GT6

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Triumph Spitfire 4 MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links