tr250 vs tr4a

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

robsaok Rob H
Batavia, New York, USA   USA
Can anyone tell me what differences there are between a '67 tr4a and a '68 tr250? I know the tr4 has a 4 cyl and the 250 has a 6 cyl. also the hood / fender stripe on the 250. I'm thinking about buying a 250 resto project and i have a tr4a. Just wondering what parts i could swap to restore the 250. Thanks - Rob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Desert TR Avatar
Desert TR Gold Member Jim P
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
Rob,

Aside from the engine, there are several differences, mostly cosmetic, but not all. Here are a few I came up with is a short period of time just for the fun of it:

Engine 6 versus 4
Body markings: Individual letters and badges versus simple name plate
Wider fender chrome on the TR250
Different seats
Different dash pads (upper and lower)
TR6 style window regulator
Alternator versus generator
Hazard lights on TR250
Reverse Lights
Electric window washer
Different dash and warning lights
Body panels are the same shape but have different trim holes
Different exhaust
Different differential
Different grille

Jim

davem Avatar
davem dave m
victoria bc, vancouver island, Canada   CAN
here are a couple more differences for you

-brake pedal set-up is different - 250 has the vacuum assist brake unit, installed in a different spot (same as the tr6)
-tr250 grille is slightly different (no crank hole cut-out)

-i would say there are more similarities than differences so don't throw away the parts

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
maddmapper Avatar
maddmapper Ken Prentice
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
Some of the lens are different too (or maybe it's just this one). On the front fender, the side marker light (the little round front one) - on the TR4A, it is white (clear) and on the TR250 it is amber.

And - BUY the TR250!!!! and check if it has the elusive "hen's teeth" TR250 hazard switch.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-17 09:58 AM by maddmapper.

yycdave Avatar
yycdave Dave More
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph TR6 "Miles"
I'm not positive but I think the right inner fender has an indent on the 250 to be able to accommodate the carbs on the 6 cylinder lump.

Cheers,
Dave

76 CF58310UO

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
Correct the right inner wheel arch is different on the 250. Also the horn mounts will have to be removed from the left wheel arch(you'll be replacing the right).

Technically the ash tray hole will need to be cut in the 4a scuttle.

Conv top fastens differently on the 2 cars. Not sure if you can make it work on a 4a windscreen frame or not?

Possibly the "hump" for the diff. I know the hump is taller on the 4...not sure about 4a

4a didn't have reverse lights...you'll be creating them on the 4a tub

Todd

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
..the price.....smoking smiley

Broken Wrench Avatar
Broken Wrench Gold Member Steven S
Albuquerque, NEW MEXICO, USA   USA
Steering wheel
Wheels and tires
Boot spare cover
Fuel cap
Radiator
Some suspension parts...more if the 4A is solid axle....

But buy the 250 it is going steadily up in value

Steve

68 TR250 - daily driver
62 TR4

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Outside door locks different.

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

David DPS Avatar
David DPS David S
Louisville, Kentucky, USA   USA
Add to the list, the doors have different locking mechanisms such that the B posts are different and the doors are not interchangeable. Keep both rather than stripping one for parts.

Doc250 Avatar
Doc250 Chris Holliday
Honeoye Falls, New York, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Little Red One"
1975 Triumph TR6 "Lbc II"
Don't forget the oil cooler hole in the lower front valance.
the cooling boards by the engine are different to accommodate the longer 6 cylinder engine. On the 250 they are just two boards that clip on the side of the radiator while the TR4A has a shroud between the front grill and the radiator.
Someone already mentioned the alternator vs the generator in the TR4A. The TR250 has an externally regulated alternator (15 AC) so there is a voltage regulator on the drivers fender wall. TR 6's have an internally regulated alternator (15ACR).

I'd still buy the TR250 as it is very similar to work on as the TR4. And as mentioned, they are becoming the value Triumph to have. Not to mention really fun to drive.

Attachments:
DSC_0005.JPG    61.8 KB
DSC_0005.JPG

barringtonpro Avatar
barringtonpro FRANK BORGES
PASCOAG, RI, USA   USA
1954 Jaguar XK120
1969 MG MGB GT "The Hose"
1970 Triumph TR6
1971 Triumph TR6
unless your tr4a is worn out, why sacrifice it to a tr250?.
The tr4a is just as much fun to drive and own.

Having a tr4a for 10 years then selling it for a very clean non-rust 250 the only advantage i found was a much nicer exhaust sound.
Also the torque from the 6 going up hills was welcome, but it was not faster.

The tr250 also gives me 25mpg compared to 30 for my tr4. The tr4a, I had, came with a straight
axle which required much less maintenance. The rear outer axle bearing had grease fittings, easy to get at.
The first thing i did when getting the tr250 was replacing the, axles, wheel bearings, and the 4 u-joints, for some level of care free driving.
With the tr4a I only had to replace the 2 u-joints. My tr4a was the most dependable car I ever owned. My 250 might top the spot.

Buy the tr250, if it's a good price, but not at the additional exspence of a tr4

Frank, RI

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, Alabama, USA   USA
30 mpg with a TR4, who tunes your car. I need to know hm.
Marv

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1411269 by mgruber921 30 mpg with a TR4, who tunes your car. I need to know hm.
Marv

Marv, I used get 32-34 mpg with my TR4, on the highway- in stock condition tune. That's at a steady 60 mph.

Of course, that was with the old 'pure' gas. With the current 'corn' gas that would probably translate to 26 mpg.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-03 11:39 AM by Sapphire.

barringtonpro Avatar
barringtonpro FRANK BORGES
PASCOAG, RI, USA   USA
1954 Jaguar XK120
1969 MG MGB GT "The Hose"
1970 Triumph TR6
1971 Triumph TR6
I was getting 24mpg with my tr4a, but i did a very careful valve adjustment and more importantly a, ColorTune kit adjustment, to bring it up to 30mpg.

i remember putting, I think it was 185 r75 or r80 13" tires, on my Spitfires in the 80s' gave it even better MPG. Went from 36 maybe 40-42, but the acceleration was awful. No problem with scraping up frount. I had Corvette air adjustable shocks in the rear.

Frank R.I.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster